Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Decisions decisions...

Views : 621

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2019, 15:52   #1
Theodoric

Default Decisions decisions...

Hello all. Been a while since I last posted. The S60 I looked at last time that had a dodgy fuel gauge and a few fault codes my reader found got sold by the garage before I could call them back. Ironic eh?

I am not looking at 2 more Friday/Saturday A 2007 S40 2.0D (110000miles) and a 2008 S60 2.5D (90000 miles)

I will be doing the occassional 1000km round trip which is why I'm looking at a diesel (plus I have a fuel account.) but which would be the better choice?

Having not had a Volvo since the 90's (a lovely 760 GLE Wentworth 4sp with O/D wish I had never sold it!!) I am asking you guys in the know.

The miles will be all motorway but just how much difference is there between the 2.0D and the 2.5D fuel economy isn't the be all and end all but it all helps.

To me the S60 looks a more "comfy" car than the S40 but the S40 looks like it too could handle motorway miles.

Many thanks guys.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 16:47   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I think your second last sentence sums it up. The S60 is a better cruising car so if you are doing lots of motorway miles I would go down that route. I had a 2.0d S40 and it was a good car, wouldn't be bad news if you ended up with that. The S60 would just be nicer.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 17:05   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

As he said ^^^^^^

The S40 is a nice enough car, but basically a Ford Focus in a party frock. Capable, but the S60 will be a much nicer all rounder.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 17:55   #4
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

The S60 is obviously an older design, but it's just more quirky somehow.

- Seats are better
- Engines are better
- Durability is better
- Stereo is MUCH better
- Styling is better
- Wheels are wider
- Road presence is better
- Suspension is harder
- Feels a bit more substantial at speed on the motorway.
- Manual gearbox is better (shorter throw)
- traditional keyfob is better

However S40 does have a few advantages:

- More modern
- probably a bit safer in a collision
- changing bulbs is MUCH easier
- rear legroom is better
- more youthful image
- cheaper parts
- cheaper to run
- much better turning circle.

I'd go with S60 personally.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 18:12   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

I would pick the S40 but at that mileage you would need to make sure it was a good example, things like timing belt, clutch etc are all due to go soon on that mileage but a great car. I had an S40 2.0D previous and absolutly loved it ... loved the S40 so much when I had less of a drive for work I decided to get the exact same car pretty much but with the T5 engine.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 17:07   #6
Theodoric

Many thanks guys. The S60 does look more "motorway friendy" and the fact the Police use they means they can't be too bad but now thrown in to the mix is a V50.!!

Ironically I really don't need all that space but I'm thinking it's better to have it an not use it than to not have it but could do with it? It will be a focus estate underneath but with timing belt and DMF changed approx 25000 miles ago it's something else not to worry about for a while and the V50 with the Medusa style wheels is easy on the eyes too.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 18:48   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

Never owned an S40 but I’ve owned the next best thing which was a V50 2D. I down shifted from a petrol/LPG S60 which I have to say was a shock but once I’d gotten used to driving a diesel again I loved it. We had our V50 just over three years and covered the country and Ireland in it. As an example, I did a Volvo meet in Scotland, it was two thirds motorway driving and the rest was combined over a 780 mile round trip. Ok, I had time on my side so I could concentrate on being frugal but I got 51mpg which I was real pleased with. Comfort wise it was fine, even though it’s a smaller cabin and narrower seats, it was still a very comfortable drive.
My S60 was great and that trotted around the UK and Ireland too but I had more mechanical issues with my 60 than my 50.

Just make sure if you go for the S40 it’s pukka. Any running issues, misfires, lumpiness etc then walk away. The D5 version has a better reliability record and is quite good on fuel. Shop wisely

TT