Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

reverse light switch

Views : 1927

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2014, 19:09   #1
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Default reverse light switch

After grubbing about I have found the location on the top of the gearbox under a removable plate.

BUT I seem to have two ? -- neither connected - sitting on the drivers seat I guess that the one that is supposed to operate is on the left?

The second switch is probably there because a bung has been removed and lost ?

so chaps and chapessess give me a bit of info please

Oh Yes, neither is the OD at the end of the box
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 21:55   #2
JP 1800
Master Member

One switch is for the reverse light and the second is for fourth gear for the overdrive. From memory the switch on the right is for the reverse light.
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 22:32   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

On the early 1800 remote change there are two switch positions at the front of the gearbox top plate side by side. If there is only one switch fitted, with a blanking plug in the other it will be for the overdrive lockout and that will be in the position that's furthest away from you as you sit in the driver's seat RHD. If there are two, the one nearest you will be for the reversing lights.
The reversing lights can also be switched via simple switch under the alloy cover at the rear of the gearbox. This is usual on the M40 box with no OD. This is actuated by one of the rods that come out of the back of the box when you put it into reverse.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 18:26   #4
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Hi

Big thanks - it was the one on the right- and it works!!! my overdrive solenoid seems to be on the end of the box so the second switch I suppose is redundant- the overdrive works fine so I suppose the old adage is if it aint broke - just wondered what it is for
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 00:28   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Not sure which thread to post on but wasn't convinced about the result of the this one so thought it best to add it here.
Picture shows 4 different gearbox tops. Amazon plain M40 top, Amazon M41 with overdrive switch, P1800 remote with overdrive switch and blanking plug, P1800 remote with overdrive switch and reversing light switch.

Notes: The three lids that have an OD switch, all have it fitted in the same position relative to the gearbox top. This one cannot be used for the reversing lights. The plain M40 box doesn't show a reverse switch alloy cover as it has been removed. The Amazon M41 has the reverse switch showing and has the connection for the wire at the top. The 1800 remote with OD switch and blanking plug actually came out of a Ruddspeed Amazon and as it was an add-on to the standard M41, retained the reverse switch position as per the previous picture. The 1800 remote with both switches is from an 1800, I have the complete box/OD/bell-housing. When this remote is fitted it fits near flush to the top of the alloy switch cover but as the terminal for the wire sticks out of the top it's changed in the 1800 to a switch in the top of the remote opposite to the OD one. As noted, with the Ruddspeed Amazon addition it will work with the switch in the rear position but is difficult to access. Not a problem for Rudds as they just chopped a large piece out of the tunnel to fit the remote and then replaced it with a bit of tin sheet held down by self tapping screws. Crude but effective in the short term.
The switches work via a plunger from underneath. When in top gear only, the OD plunger is pushed up and completes the connection inside the switch. Nothing happens until you use the OD switch in the car to provide power to the OD solenoid. If in OD you change down to third the plunger drops and you drop out of overdrive. If you don't touch the inside OD switch, when you change back to top you'll actually go back into OD top. Very annoying when it doesn't want to accelerate. (for a cure for this see Ron's link)
With the reverse switch there is power to the outside terminals when the ignition is on. When you select reverse, the plunger is pushed up inside to complete the circuit.
Apologies for the scruffy state of the Amazon box tops............
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 20:09   #6
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Derek -thanks - mine was the 4th piccie with twin switches. Found a horror story as I unpicked the problem--

The lead to the solenoid from the relay - was direct and made of 3 sections !! joined with lucar spade connectors none were insulated so were sparking merrily on the tranny tunnel!!!!

So getting my trusty wiring diagram- and the wealth of advice from this forum I set about and re wired -- it now works as Sven or whoever intended
The Following User Says Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post: