Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No more diesel then

Views : 4279

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2018, 20:29   #61
Haldex
Premier Member

Let’s not even get into discussing sources of electric energy.. If we could all switch to EVs within 5 years- the electric energy consumption would skyrocket- and with clean sources (hydro, wind, solar..) limitations the world would turn to nuclear and coal.. Heck, even with this many EVs on the road (2% in France, for example..) electric energy is mostly sourced from nuclear (70% in France..) and coal..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 22:18   #62
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
New ones hardly produce more NOx than petrol engines. The Euro6 standards are more or less the same whatever fuel type.

What is happening now is the exact opposite of what should be happening. New low emission cars are not being bought and older 'dirty' cars are being run on for longer than they ought to be to get results. Politicians and 'experts' are often quite dim-witted when it comes to this kind of thing.

The biggest contributors to particulates in many towns are their train stations, public transport and domestic heating systems, not cars. They will not tackle those, because the car is a far easier target when it comes to popularity. They have stated that they will do nothing about open fires or wood burning systems and the oil fired heating system isn't even on the scrutiny horizon.

I believe that NOx from shipping worldwide has exceeded that form all land based transport added together worldwide for some time. It is not concentrated in towns, for the most part, but the fact remains that it is a gross contributor.
It was said, only a few short years ago, that the eight largest ships in the world, alone produced more pollution than all cars and trucks everywhere.
The worst town for pm2.5s? Port Talbot. Second worst? Scunthorpe. What's the connection? Steel works. Pollution is a multi facetted problem and passenger vehicle pollution is only a part of the problem.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 22:44   #63
alanoconnor

One of the worst towns in the UK for pollution is Warwick. I lived there for 20 years. It's a mixture of things - manufacturing, agriculture - and it is in the Midlands. Hayfever is rife in Warwick - everybody has it. Too much of everything floating about.
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:24   #64
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanoconnor View Post
One of the worst towns in the UK for pollution is Warwick. I lived there for 20 years. It's a mixture of things - manufacturing, agriculture - and it is in the Midlands. Hayfever is rife in Warwick - everybody has it. Too much of everything floating about.
Far too much countryside and pollen, and, well, fresh air.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:19   #65
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanoconnor View Post
Not according to the BBC’s pollution tracker (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/scien...nment-42566393); I entered random 10-15 post codes from in and around Warwick area and all of them returned pollution rating of 1 out of 6, six being heavily polluted. Warwick isn’t on the 30 most polluted towns and cities either (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-43964341). People of Warwick, you may now breath air....I mean clean air 😜.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:25   #66
Bendolfc
Premier Member

The E6 emission limits for petrol and diesel really are not that dissimilar, although there were plenty of cars that claimed E6 compliance but failed in a bad way (Volvo being one of the worse offenders). The new testing regeim should sort that out and is why Volvo were forced to implement AdBlue as EGR alone simply doesn't work in the real world.

New diesels are allowed to put out a small amount more NOx than petrols but in comparison with previous standards that is tiny.

E6:-

Diesel CO 0.50, NOx 0.080, PM 0.005
Petrol CO 1.0, NOx 0.060, PM 0.005

The problem is older cars, the limits for NOx have come down as below:-

Euro 3 0.50
Euro 4 0.25
Euro 5a 0.180
Euro 6 0.080

So modern diesels are relatively clean, certainly, not much worse than petrols. The problem is it is in fashion to pick on diesel and the Government are dithering on policy meaning that there are thousands of older diesels in service that are due for replacement (mine included) but people don't want to replace them until the government sorts out its plan. Why buy a new clean diesel that may be unfairly targeted in a year or two? That lack of policy is responsible for keeping older diesels on the road now.
Bendolfc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:35   #67
MaDProFF
Master Member

An interesting read, how true or not you never know.

I wish Tesla would get there act together with their Tesla Roof Tiles, than power pack in the wall, and then free electric.

Also when the Electric Car life cycle has come to the end to be of use in a car, they put them in the wall power packs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n.jpg (126.4 KB, 23 views)
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:00   #68
alanoconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
Not according to the BBC’s pollution tracker (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/scien...nment-42566393); I entered random 10-15 post codes from in and around Warwick area and all of them returned pollution rating of 1 out of 6, six being heavily polluted. Warwick isn’t on the 30 most polluted towns and cities either (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-43964341). People of Warwick, you may now breath air....I mean clean air 😜.
Maybe it is cleaner now as I moved out and took my emissions with me....
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:15   #69
nu11eaf
Premier Member

If I were to replace my Defender 90 TD5 and my Volvo XC90 D5 and buy a hybrid or other currently in favour motor, how much Co2 Nox etc would be produced in the manufacturing of the replacement cars (a very high amount) and my other cars would be bought by someone else and still be in use and probably used a lot more than I do, and I will be driving my replacement cars as well which is just as bad but the pollution is made in a power station. so I will have contributed a lot more Co2 and Nox and other particulates than if I just keep my current cars. Its all a load of Bull.

Last edited by nu11eaf; May 23rd, 2018 at 11:18.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 14:48   #70
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
An interesting read, how true or not you never know.

I wish Tesla would get there act together with their Tesla Roof Tiles, than power pack in the wall, and then free electric.

Also when the Electric Car life cycle has come to the end to be of use in a car, they put them in the wall power packs.
My issue with Tesla is that it has all the hallmarks of a cult. I genuinely believe that once he has burned through all the cash that he can raise that the whole thing will come crashing down....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote