Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What does you 700/900 mean to you?

Views : 9923

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What does your 700/900 mean to you?
Daily driver, only Volvo 53 61.63%
Daily driver, one of a herd 19 22.09%
Second car, only Volvo 7 8.14%
Second car, one of a herd 7 8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 22:30   #11
stephend
Premier Member

I spotted my 740 at my friendly local village garage, when my Mondeo was in for a service. They had been looking after it for years, and had taken it in as a p/x, so it was sitting there looking like it wanted somebody to take it home. I'd had a Sierra estate before, really missed having an estate, and had always kinda fancied a big Volvo.

It was really bought on a whim, as a second/project car. But not long after, a relative up in Scotland fell ill, and the 740 got pressed into service for going up there, and ferrying stuff around... later on, ferrying furniture to and from the care home, that sort of thing. Sadly, the relative passed away, and then we got into house-clearing, which is still going on, so now the 740 is pretty fully-laden on some of these trips. Then there was the time we had the pipe burst... and the emergency plumber ended up fetching the ceiling down... and I ended up teaching myself how to make plasterboard ceilings... and the 740 was perfect for fetching materials from B&Q. And lots of other stuff like that as well. All in all, it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made!

I was a bit nervous of taking the 740 on such a long trip the first time, but it's done it scores of times now, and the only time it's let us down is when a tyre blew out - which is hardly the 740's fault!

Sails through its MoT every year, and the garage is probably as fond of it as I am. They keep teasing the previous owner that he shouldn't have got rid, because it's still going strong.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 00:07   #12
dusty

Talking

This is my 4th volvo had it about a year now I bought it because I wanted one car for work and carting kids and the dog around .I was over in London with it in march by the time I got back to Ireland I had done 1800 miles in two weeks fully loaded with three lads and all our tools got home emptied the car out went down to cork for the week end with the wife and kids in compleat comfort used no oil or water averaged about 32mpg in a car that's 14 years old with 189000 miles on the clock and looking forward to the next 100000 Briliant
I have spent a lot of money on cars in the last ten years I think new cars are crap and a waste of money just a shame you can't buy on e of these new Now
My other volvos
1982 244 glt. 1987 240 glt estate. 1988 760 gle Saloon. 1998 945 celebration

Last edited by dusty; Jun 15th, 2012 at 00:10. Reason: Forgot one
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 07:57   #13
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Sentimental value.

I have never owned a Volvo before we were given my Father-in-Law's 1986 745GLa, I'd never driven a Volvo either, despite the fact he'd owned the car since 1987. We took it on when he replaced it with a V70 a couple of years ago.

The car has not been particularly cherished nor abused, he'd bought the car when he was in his late 50s and as he got older the car was mechanically well maintained but he could not really care for it cosmetically.

I admit I had some contempt for the car prior to driving it, but it was a revelation for such an old car, very comfortable, quite refined, well built and very useful - it is basically a third/fourth car, not used everyday but weekly.

I am now a 700 series enthusiast (modern Volvos hold no more interest for me than any other modern, but I do fancy a pre-facelift 964 with the white block I6; have two large engined Mercedes to feed too!) - I also have a 1986 744GL.

Prufrock (I tried to keep it brief!)

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:40.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 10:30   #14
jimgad

Helped a friend buy a V70...... wanted an estate, did some research and settled on the 940 as the one I wanted.
Loved every second of owning it. I love the fact I can take it anywhere and it has no social no no's. IE....to the supermarket.....to the cinema...or to a black tie event.
Character in abundance....and the ONLY time I've ever joined a forum and community over a car!!
jimgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 11:04   #15
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The Exxon Valdez is currently SORN'ed awaiting a decapitation/head transplant that will start on Monday. It was my daily transport until March, since when it's been parked up pending a decision on its future.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 14:37   #16
Neoott
1989 740/940 conversion.

Hey all, my 740 is my work horse (doing some deliveries for work) my daily drive and also my long term project. I dont know what it is about volvos that many people dont see, until you own one. Im also a lover of older cars, new modern curves and bubbles just dont do it for me, i love cars that look like the only tool they had ot design it was a straight edge. Also a fan of "power" and always try and buy rwd (when i can) This is why old volvos tick all the boxes for me.
Also the look on some peoples faces when your coming up the road sideways, at first its "OMG! An ealderly gentalman is out of control, run for your lives!" then moves to "wait, hes holding it." then finially "was that a volvo estate drifting????" Its the little things that make me smile while driving a volvo.
Dave
Neoott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 14:39   #17
Neoott
1989 740/940 conversion.

Also build quallity, cant be faulted on the most part. Its like if ikea made cars, oh wait...
Neoott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 15:07   #18
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Smile volvo ownership

I have driven volvo cars since 1968 and cant think of a better car to drive i started with a 122sthen moved to several different 164s they were the luxury cars of volvo then imoved to a volovo 66 estate but 12 years ago i moved to a 745gle est purpose bought to carry my mobility scooter and i would not change for all the tea in china,it still looks in nice condition even after 25years,why have i stayed with volvo,,well when i came to sell my 122s a workmate said would i sell it to him as my wife wants a car to safely take my daughter to school so to me the volvo is a car of safety for my wife and myself and i do like the sqare bodyshape and the RWD...regards sunnyvic VOC Disabled register
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 15:11   #19
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoott View Post
Also build quallity, cant be faulted on the most part. Its like if ikea made cars, oh wait...
Exactly Dave,

if Ickya made cars they'd not last very long!

Torrential rain here, thunder and lightning :-( Every time we get a crack the sash windows rattle with a frenzy - price I pay for living in a period house I guess.

June is turning out to be a cruel month.

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 15th, 2012 at 15:20.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 16:45   #20
Ralphead

Thanks for all the response people. It's interesting, to me anyway, to see why the cars have such a following and also to hear a little background.

Dave, thank you, I'll think of this and giggle to myself at inappropriate moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoott View Post
Also the look on some peoples faces when your coming up the road sideways, at first its "OMG! An elderly gentalman is out of control, run for your lives!" then moves to "wait, hes holding it." then finially "was that a volvo estate drifting????" Its the little things that make me smile while driving a volvo.

I've been swinging between love and hate with my 940. I should have bought a better cared for one, in fact I thought I was. The scrot I bought it from lied about the service history. But anyway.. It's very different from most cars I've had, bigger for a start. But if I can stop it leaking and make it go like hell then I'm sure I'll hate it less often, I just didn't want another rolling project.
Ralphead is offline   Reply With Quote