Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bad running after new head gasket - cause?

Views : 28195

Replies : 386

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 19:03   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Haynes appears to be wholly silent on the issue of the right fuel pressure.
Sounds about right!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 00:22   #22
rockheadrumble

When I was reading your original post it made me think fuel pressure. I had a crappy adj fuel pressure reg on my 940 and that would make the car hesitate when accelerating at certain revs. It would also run ok at high revs as i guess it was injecting alot more fuel although it still would of been lean.

When i say it was hesitant, i was almost like the car was getting blown by strong really quick gusts of wind from the front. like it was accelerating ooo errr ooo errr ooo errr!! (this probably makes absolute no sense!)

At idle it could be very fussy. Shutting the bonnet would sometimes make is want to stale!

I would get a second hand fuel pressure reg and bang that on, you might get for free or you could get a lend of one maybe if you ask on here.

Joe
HOLSET/new 3" exh+531 being installed(watch this space!) VXR 470cc injectors,960maf, 3" throttle,AEM AFR wideband, Forge MBC, Boost gauge, TTV Billet fly+850r clutch, Locker diff mod, Lowered 40mm,B4 bilsteins,Adj panhard rod,Cone filter.247400miles!

Last edited by rockheadrumble; Sep 5th, 2013 at 00:26.
rockheadrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 08:40   #23
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Gadget

The detector system to plug into the not-quite-OBD2 port is built. It does nothing. Nothing at all. Next step, test the tester...
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 13:42   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

At the risk of sounding patronising, you haven't fitted the LED the wrong way round have you?

Other things to check are for very tiny "hairs" of solder where they shouldn't be, for example between tracks on the board, the pins on the plug etc and for any broken or incorrectly connected wires. A common mistake when connecting to a multiplug from a diagram is to connect the wires as viewed from the "plug" side, not as they should be from the "wire" side. When i say common, a neighbour renewed the 7-pin trailer plug on his trailer recently and couldn't understand why it wasn't working correctly. Didn't take long to sort out for him but his head was red-raw from scratching!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 14:54   #25
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Good points - but

I was planning on checking all three of those things. I think I have the LED the right way round - leg by the flat on the side being +. I don't think I have any spare whiskers (except my beard) - but will check again, not much spare room inside an OBD plug. I connected to the points indicated by tiny numbers on the PCB inside the OBD plug since the ready-connected ones had sold out. I had to get a magnifying glass to read teh little bathmats!

I think first step will be to put 12 volts directly onto the LED. Next step will be point-to-point checking with a multimeter.

But I am supposed to be working.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 16:05   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Default Please read before putting 12V on the LED!!!!!

Firstly, you have the LED the wrong way round - the flat on the body denotes the cathode or negative terminal. The easy way to remember it is if you hold the LED up to the light, the "small" part of the metalwork inside is the +ve/anode and the large bit is the -ve/cathode which is always next to the flat. I said it was easy to remember, if you look at the electrical symbol for an LED, the bar is the cathode so the larger piece of metal inside represents a barrier to be overcome.

It sounds as if the plug could be a trouble-spot but turn the LED round first. On NO ACCOUNT feed it directly with 12V unless you want a cremated LED! Unless you specifically buoght a 12V LED and are not using the current limiting resistor (1k8 in the diagram, seem to recall you're using 1k5?) then you will fry it as most standard LEDs operate on about 2.0V forward voltage (Vf). That said, you could reduce the 1k5 resistor to 680 ohms to gain extra brightness on the LED.

As for work, it is a 4-letter word no longer in polite use!

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 18:07   #27
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default 12v

It's a 12V LED. Damn you Mr Google for giving me the wrong info on polarity!
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 18:25   #28
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Ah!

It might very well NOT be a 12 V LED although I thought it was. So it is probably toast by now, having been exposed to 12 volts backwards.

Ordering a 12 volt one NOW.

However, it turns out a mate of mine has one of the £2000 Volvo code readers and he is getting the screen repaired next week - so he may be able to read the codes for me.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 20:55   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Oops! Considering the cost of LEDs i normally order several at a time, unless i'm ordering a specific LED for a one-off job.
Hopefully the new LED(s) will arrive fairly quickly for you!

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 22:06   #30
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Quicker

It will be quicker for me to drive to Maplins while on errands tomorrow and save their exorbitant postage charges.