Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new 740!

Views : 5466

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2017, 20:10   #21
Rumbo
Time Traveller

I wouldn't drive a BMW now,too many kids have them,not unless it was a BMW E39 M5
My indicators sometimes stop working at around 6am
Rumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 20:12   #22
Rumbo
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Indeed here we go. FYI I got the"joke", think it childish and wearing a bit thin...just what is with you people ?

Just because I'm not in your little gang..;-)

Jon.

Come on man it's just a bit of fun x
The Following User Says Thank You to Rumbo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 20:12   #23
swedish brick

It's funny though, I've had a 244, 340 and an 850. All good cars (the 244 was a brilliant car!) and yet the only Volvo I kept the longest and have a desire to keep going back to is the 740.

Anyway, moving on...

I'll be getting stuck into the 740 again this weekend, I need to do a spot of sunroof drain lancing! And the brakes, and the interior needs cleaning as it's filthy and I really can't stand dirty interiors!

In the meantime if anyone's interested, here's a few of my other cars that are sharing the driveway with the Volvo.

1973 Mercury Marquis. I bought this off ebay a few years ago and had it shipped over. It's all original on the body and interior but I've had the 429ci (7.0L) big block Ford V8 rebuilt. Every last nut and bolt came off the engine and it's pretty much a factory spec as new engine. I love this thing and wouldn't be without a massive yank tank now!

1984 Ford Transit 100L, 2.0 petrol. This was a BBC mobile radio studio originally, now it's been retired it's becoming a camper. Believe it or not it's only done 19k miles from new.

1985 Ford Granada mk2 2.8 Ghia X. This one I saved from the banger track. I love Granada's and spotted it by chance and bought it on the spot! It's a solid old car but looks a bit rough and ready. It's doing well though at a shade under 200k miles.

Finally,

1974 Ford Capri 1.6L mk2. This was my first car and is a very early mk2 (the earliest ones have a few minor differences from later mk2s). This is what it did look like. It's quite different now...

Here it is now!
It was starting to look a bit rough in places so decided on a full restoration to as near as poss factory spec. It's been completely stripped to a bare un painted shell and is a 'money no issue' style resto! It's taking a while but it'll be worth it in the end. It'll be Miami blue metallic once it's painted. I can't wait for it to be finished! Believe it or not this car cost me £100 with tax and mot.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8

Last edited by swedish brick; Feb 8th, 2017 at 20:27.
swedish brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 20:21   #24
Rumbo
Time Traveller

I like the roof rack on that Granada,it suits the car somehow
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 20:39   #25
Rumbo
Time Traveller

Always loved a well sorted Capri too,next door neighbours eldest lad had a black 3.0S with RS alloys and bonnet pins,I was only young and used to gaze in away at it from my bedroom window,what a beautiful car!
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 22:06   #26
lnparry

Great stable Swedish brick and agree with you re 740s.

Perhaps we should start a thread on here titled "My other car is a Volvo" and members could post pics of their significant others.

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 22:43   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Indeed here we go. FYI I got the"joke", think it childish and wearing a bit thin...just what is with you people ?

Just because I'm not in your little gang..;-)

Jon.
The "joke" was actually intended as irony - i'm also fully aware all BMWs have indicators as standard, just most i've seen on the road don't work or are not operated by their pilots - the way most of them drive they think they're on the runway here, not the A11!

The main thing is i didn't want to have the last word, far from it in fact. All i was doing by pointing out i didn't see "promo cars" as illegitimate was trying to clarify any misunderstanding that seemed to be present. It seems no matter how exactingly i phrase something, someone, somewhere will always try and read a hidden meaning into it - as such i have become accustomed to pointing out axioms when this occurs.

Now, as for wanting the last word - i didn't.

I was in fact trying to provoke a discussion on the whys and wherefores of possible advertising influence from promo cars and any other sources on our choice as a country of what are classic cars these days.
After all this is a forum is it not? By definition a forum is for open discussion and what's actually wrong with provoking a discussion, especially when the subject of that discussion has already been broached by the "thread owner/starter"?

Anyway, having just seen the thread review (i went out with friends and came back to a non-refreshed page when i hit the "Quote" button) it seems i was successful in starting that discussion, complete with photos!

Some superb vehicles there! Always had a soft spot for the Mk2 Granada, had a 78 T reg 2.8 Ghia with black instead of chrome trim, always wanted the 2.8 Ghia X Injection but never happened - well saved from the track with that one!

Have to say though, there's something about the 7xx Volvos that keeps pulling me back as well, after 3 740 GLE auto estates i didn't think i'd have another, mainly because they're getting harder to find. Then my current 760 V6 came up on the bay very cheaply. I would have been rude to refuse!

After the DIY front end facelift!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 23:15   #28
stephend
Premier Member

I do like that Granada! Haven't seen one of those on the road in a long while...
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 23:52   #29
mkent

That lovley, I'd love one of thoe 745s , I'm fed up with my small german car, it handles like something on rails, but i liked my kerbside mechanics 745, and I should have had it off hime when he offered it to me.

Happy fer you,
M
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 10:04   #30
Joe of Loath
Can I angle grind this?

Quote:
The 700 series isn't a car of utility to most (to those on here it might be), as it's largely invisible in the wider classic market
As "a car", the 700 series is definitely a car of utility. If I'm out and about I'll stop and take a look at any I pass (and my friends will send me photos of ones they see - how sad is that?), and almost without exception the owners are of the elderly disposition and use the car to drive to the shops. They don't consider it a classic, just "the car" that they happen to have owned for 30 years.
Joe of Loath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe of Loath For This Useful Post: