Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0D engine rattle

Views : 1690

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2018, 20:45   #1
greeny999

Default V50 2.0D engine rattle

Hi everyone,

Been reading a bit around here but this is my first post

I've got a late 2007 V50 2.0D with 180,000 miles on the clock. Just recently I've noticed that between 1800 RPM and 2500 RPM it has a really nasty rattle coming from the engine somewhere. I've tried to listen (even had a screwdriver as a stethoscope) and think its coming from the left somewhere.

Interestingly it only does it under no load (i.e. sat on the drive or decelerating) not when accelerating. It doesn't smoke and it doesn't use a drop of oil (pretty good to say the mileage).

From the reading up I've around here I thought it could be the cam chain that links the inlet and exhaust cams or its tensioner. I nipped it around to my local Volvo service centre earlier today and the chief mechanic there said he thinks its most probably high pressure fuel pump

I can't really find any reports of people having noisy high pressure pumps so was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar? I'm not disputing the mechanic (he is the expert after all).

Cheers,
greeny999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 21:12   #2
emy

Strange....Speaking about the cam chain & tensioner, I was told that the noise I am having when cold start is the result of it, when the engine warms up is OK, even when is warm outside is quite. I have asked lots of mechanics and each one has different opinion. Take a look on the clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2FZbKUivEI
Old May 27th, 2018, 11:30   #3
greeny999

Hmm...that is a different noise to mine and I would have said it sounds more of a belt/tensioner sound.

I tried to get a video of mine the other night but as audible as it is when you're stood there, it doesn't come through to the camera very well.

I had another listen and put a screwdriver up to the fuel pump and both me and my dad (who used to be a professional HGV mechanic) think Volvo are right and it probably is the fuel pump.

I've bought a second hand one from a low mileage Ford S-Max and will fit that in the next few weeks, see if the noise goes away.
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:27   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The fuel pumps are a doddle to change on these cars (but you do need to prime the system afterwards) but very rarely give any trouble.

The cam chain isn't too bad a job to do if the injectors come out okay.... it's a long job though and you might as well do the timing belt at the same time. If you get a stuck injector though you could have a challenge.

Ours sort of does the same thing (175k) but I ignored it when I first noticed it and 60,000 miles later - no change. I Just put it down to a characteristic of the engine.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 18:22   #5
greeny999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The fuel pumps are a doddle to change on these cars (but you do need to prime the system afterwards) but very rarely give any trouble.
Glad to hear they're easy to do, I've been reading up on priming the system, bought myself a hand pump and gonna attach that to the return line of the fuel filter housing I believe??

Quote:
The cam chain isn't too bad a job to do if the injectors come out okay.... it's a long job though and you might as well do the timing belt at the same time. If you get a stuck injector though you could have a challenge.
Ah OK, everywhere I read say its a pain of a job but they're probably referring to the potential injector removal issues.

Quote:
Ours sort of does the same thing (175k) but I ignored it when I first noticed it and 60,000 miles later - no change. I Just put it down to a characteristic of the engine.
I was just worried as not so long ago it wasn't making the noise and I'm off round France in August and if its gonna give me trouble anywhere you can bet it'll be as far away from home as possible

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 14:03   #6
Karl88volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny999 View Post
Glad to hear they're easy to do, I've been reading up on priming the system, bought myself a hand pump and gonna attach that to the return line of the fuel filter housing I believe??

Ah OK, everywhere I read say its a pain of a job but they're probably referring to the potential injector removal issues.

I was just worried as not so long ago it wasn't making the noise and I'm off round France in August and if its gonna give me trouble anywhere you can bet it'll be as far away from home as possible

Thanks for the advice!
Very surprised if you manage to prime it with hand pump, I couldn’t do it, had compresser blowing in fuel tank too, had to tow it in the end.
Karl88volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 20:38   #7
x DTR x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl88volvo View Post
Very surprised if you manage to prime it with hand pump, I couldn’t do it, had compresser blowing in fuel tank too, had to tow it in the end.
Can be done with hand pump from fuel return pipe, done it last week after fuel filter replacement.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 18:57   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl88volvo View Post
Er.... I would not recommend pressurising the fuel tank.... if you do get stuck your best bet is to make sure the fuel tank is full and jack up the back of the car as high as you can (ack. Clan for that tip).

The hand pump is the official way and there is a genuine Volvo one you can buy (at a price...). Some of the Peugeot/Citroen vehicles that had the engine have a hand pump built into the fuel supply line.

Some cheap pumps from internet/motor factors are poor quality/utterly useless. If you have a good one though it's easy.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jun 4th, 2018 at 18:59.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 21:40   #9
greeny999

Well I eventually managed to get round to changing the injector pump today....and the rattle has completely gone. In the end it turned out to not really be anything to worry about, it was just a bit of play in the coupler that links the fuel pump to the end of the cam.

Also had no issue what-so-ever bleeding the fuel system. Used one of the cheap pumps and it pulled it through fine.

Anyway, its given me a bit more piece of mind with the car and sounds pretty sweet now to say its nearly on 180k miles.

Oh and I also replaced the gasket between the engine and pump. I managed to find the equivalent Peugeot one for only a couple of quid. If its any use to anyone its part number 1927.24
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 18:49   #10
J33TYL

My top end is also rattling same as you explained could you send me information of the injector pump that you replaced please?
J33TYL is offline   Reply With Quote