Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towbar fitted

Views : 3493

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2018, 23:35   #21
XC70Virgin

Where'd you get you installation instructions? I thought I had it downloaded but can't find it, even by searching!
XC70Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 23:35   #22
V70Driver76

Bearing in mind I watched, you don’t know how close to the truth you are 😁
V70Driver76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 23:37   #23
V70Driver76

Try this link https://accessories.volvocars.com/In.../V70(08-)/2008
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Driver76 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:34   #24
apersson850
Premier Member

Note that the orange cable has one purpose only. That's to allow for the constant +12 V feed in the socket. That and ground are the only "hardware only" things connected to the socket.

Note that what I say below is true for Volvo's TRM (TRailer Module). Other manufacturer's solutions may be different. Sometimes simplified and not as complete as Volvo's, to save money.

All other things pass the TRM. It's true that the TRM senses a connected trailer by the load on position lights output. As Volvo states, the original TRM requires a load equivalent to 10 W to consider a trailer to be connected. From 2013, there's a newer TRM version which also can sense trailers with more efficient LED taillights.

The socket standard has been augmented to include the unused pin 12 to be a trailer indicator. That is, if that pin is grounded, then that's the signal to the car that there's a trailer attached. But since most trailers don't support that funciton, the TRM doesn't require it either.

The absolutely simplest way to check if the car is "trailer aware" is to turn on the rear fog light. If the car has sensed the trailer, it will turn off the lamp on the car, and send the signal to the trailer only. This is to avoid reflections of the bright fog light from the front of the trailer. But it comes in very handy, since it makes it a simple one man's show to connect/disconnect and observe if the connection is recognized, as the rear fog light is right there, at the rear end of the car.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 13:32   #25
V70Driver76

All up and running now. Parking sensors disable and all is good. The kit also came with the add on for LED lamps. It’s just an extra bit of loom.

Next question, I am not getting the <1> symbol on the dash with the turn signal. Lamp works on dash self test at start. There does not appear to be any reminder that there is a trailer attached. Any ideas?
Old May 15th, 2018, 14:24   #26
XC70Virgin

I had the dash supplementary slave flash on a '05 XC90 so I'm surprised. However, maybe they've changed the philosophy and way of operation. Try connecting a trailer and taking an indicator bulb out and see what happens. Maybe it will show up then.
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:35   #27
XC70Virgin

You weren't wrong about orange wire to F9. Fiddly SOB!
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:39   #28
V70Driver76

When are you booked in for? How all goes swimmingly for you.

Do me a favour please, if when they test the turn signal, if you do or don't get the <1>, just check that it isn't something they have to enable in VIDA after the download. The owners manual definitely says it should be there...

TVM
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:41   #29
XC70Virgin

Thumbs up

Not booked in yet. Need to stick the module in place to finish off tomorrow. The orange wire took me an age so I left it to finish off.

Anyway, I'll check that no probs.
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:59   #30
apersson850
Premier Member

The old style additional turn indicator is gone. Last time I saw it was on the V70N my daughter now drives, a car from 2004.

But on next generation, the ability to check the extra turn indicator only when actually using it, is replaced by a function where the car will constantly monitor the functionality of the turn indicators and brake lights on the trailer. If they fail, even while not using them (the wire could come lose or whatever), you'll get a text message in the instrument panel.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post: