Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 owners - engine kicking it at strange times?

Views : 791

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2018, 12:27   #1
tabber

Default T8 owners - engine kicking it at strange times?

Hi all T8 owners,

Do you sometimes have the petrol engine start, when your battery has plenty left in it, and you are only just starting your journey, and at low speed? It happens to me probably 1 time in 3, and that doesn't sound right to me.

- Mode is the default - i.e. Hybrid
- Usually starts correctly using the battey, but as you start slowly reversing out of your drive, the engine comes on. In the display the battery section completely disappears, and the "oil drop" symbol is the only thing shown. Like it does if the battery is totally empty.
- Battery was full and showing 25 miles range (Even though we are lucky to get 15)
- Stays like that for several minutes, but will eventually come back with the battery section, and the petrol engine will turn off.
- Climate was off at the time, so its not trying to warm or cool the car
- Switching to Pure mode will usually fix it quicker, but even then it takes 10 seconds or so before the battery bit comes back.

Anyone else have this happen. Is it supposed to do that in Hybrid mode, and if so why when it has plenty of battery range?

If i'm the only one experiencing this, then sounds like I should contact the dealer.

Cheers,
tabber
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 14:27   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Just noticed this myself in last couple of weeks. I have mainly noticed it in pure mode. Engine runs for maybe 30s and then shuts off even though I have been feather light on the throttle.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 14:33   #3
Director76
Master Member

Yes, in hybrid mode (but not pure), but not anywhere near as often as you describe. I’d put it down to knocking a paddle. First time the engine comes on it always stays on longer, like it needs to reach a min temperature.

Is the frequency related to factors linked to battery ageing I wonder? We certainly get more than 15 miles,if not the full 25. Mine is a newer car though (healthier battery) and the upgraded 10.4kW spec
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 14:55   #4
Giles11

Mine does it as well and I don't think it's anything to worry about. For instance it might kick in when I was doing a slow manoeuvre. Remember that big batteries need more cooling and that the petrol engine can help with powering the fan or supporting the power steering which it is working hard in a three point turn.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 16:43   #5
tabber

Thanks for the replies guys. If you've all experienced it to some degree, then maybe its nothing to worry about. Its not so much the engine kicking in, as the fact the battery part totally disappears that worried me. Like the car has decided the battery can't be used for some reason. I don't think it was straight after charging, or a particularly hot day, so the battery pack shouldn't have been hot.

Really loving the car apart from some of these slightly odd things. Up to 52mpg now, which is brilliant. Although my electricity bill might be interesting :-)
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 18:31   #6
Fortune7
VOC Member

I wouldn't be concerned - mine does exactly the same and I've wondered why, especially as ambient temperatures are higher now. In low temps, (e.g. below 10C), both the T8 and my previous Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV have/had the engine start early, and I put this down to helping the battery and (maybe) preparing the engine with a bit of warmth. In higher temps, however, It's odd. My 1st year service is due this week and if I can ask the Master Tech. and get a plausible answer, I'll let you know.

Cheers, Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune7 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 05:15   #7
ulstrup

it's normal.

the engine is warming up for a few minutes and then shut itself down.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 06:18   #8
dblogic

Shortly after getting my T8 I did have something similar after arriving at work (4 miles already driven on battery). It was after stopping to open the car park gate and then trying to drive in without putting my seat belt back on. May also be related to auto handbrake not releasing as well perhaps which I believe is because of the seat belt? When I remember to put my belt back on it's been fine.

Unlikely in your case but selecting engine brake / manual mode (additional step after B) also forces engine to start.

As others have said, the first engine start does leave the engine on for a few seconds (30 or so maybe) with the power guage showing just the filled "drop" symbol. This is presumably to put a load on the engine to ensure quicker warm up before reverting back to hybrid mode.

Last edited by dblogic; Jun 13th, 2018 at 07:19.
dblogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 08:52   #9
S90
IT Guru

Yeah, certainly in the S90 you cannot move unless your seatbelt is on, bit annoying sometimes, especially for low speed moving it a few feet manoeuvres!
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 09:29   #10
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Yeah, certainly in the S90 you cannot move unless your seatbelt is on,
Turn off auto-handbrake and you can manoeuvre without a seatbelt on.