Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo recall

Views : 1683

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:23   #11
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
A plastic component that melts and in some circumstances catches fire.

The chinese bought this engine as a turnkey project from an Austrian contractor having previously paid off many of their european engineering staff and have not themselves had the facilities to stay on top of the design faults inherent in this engine.

Time to put aside any residual warm feelings for the brand.

Don.
Think I agree with you Don, the Ford influence is noticable but they were still essentially volvo engines, at least the D5..rest of the car was ford mind. Don't mind ford's, they made good cars at reasonable prices, the urine extraction was volvo prices for Ford bits.
The move to prestige brand has been compleated in the prices they charge, pity the quality has not kept pace with prices.

Still they now compete with JLR in price and reliability.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:37   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
A plastic component that melts and in some circumstances catches fire.

The chinese bought this engine as a turnkey project from an Austrian contractor having previously paid off many of their european engineering staff and have not themselves had the facilities to stay on top of the design faults inherent in this engine.

Time to put aside any residual warm feelings for the brand.

Don.
This is a Volvo engine based on the old V40 petrol block , however the plastic inlet manifold is pure ford style as used on many ford engines . Volvo must have kept on some Ford personnel i reckon !

reference please where you got the Austrian info from? otherwise it is heresay ..
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 17:23   #13
Billggski

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...-reviewed.html
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 17:34   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This is a Volvo engine based on the old V40 petrol block , however the plastic inlet manifold is pure ford style as used on many ford engines . Volvo must have kept on some Ford personnel i reckon !

reference please where you got the Austrian info from? otherwise it is heresay ..
Our 2003 Toyota MR2 also has a plastic intake manifold, which has never caused any problems (however EGR is controlled via exhaust valve timing not via a valve into the intake)
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 19:45   #15
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Bought my 'new to me' V90 just over a week ago and my recall envelope dropped on the mat on Saturday morning.
Great to know there is a problem.

It really installs confidence, especially when they dont yet have the parts to fix it.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 20:01   #16
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
Bought my 'new to me' V90 just over a week ago and my recall envelope dropped on the mat on Saturday morning.
Great to know there is a problem.

It really installs confidence, especially when they dont yet have the parts to fix it.
All car manufactures have these issues, you won’t beat Lamborghini for bursting into flames. My 5cyl D4 had a recall for a fuel pipe and it was done in a jiffy. Enjoy your new motor.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 20:09   #17
Dippydog
Premier Member

Way back in the mists of time British Leyland or whatever they were calling themselves on any given day[they were not alone in this] were roundly criticised for releasing under developed/faulty vehicles and putting it on the buyer to do the "development".Nowadays the sheer number of recalls issued by all manufacturers is quite frightening where you'd think with improved technology/manufacturing methods such things would be few and far between but it seems to be getting worse not better.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 20:49   #18
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Way back in the mists of time British Leyland or whatever they were calling themselves on any given day[they were not alone in this] were roundly criticised for releasing under developed/faulty vehicles and putting it on the buyer to do the "development".Nowadays the sheer number of recalls issued by all manufacturers is quite frightening where you'd think with improved technology/manufacturing methods such things would be few and far between but it seems to be getting worse not better.
I was just thinking the same thing!
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:13   #19
morsing
Premier Member

Just my 2c worth but I don't think there's anything wrong with plastic inlet manifolds in itself, kind of got the tone of that in some of the posts.
Metal manifolds have the down side of transferring the heat and heating the air more before entering the engine.

Obviously it has to be the right type of plastic and proper quality, mind.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:22   #20
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post

Quality engineers will know the pro's and cons of various design options, materials, modifications etc but, I bet its the accountants that force them to do a job badly so styuff can be hurled out the door and they can get onto the next project rather than waste time and money to make something well in the first instance.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post: