Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2002 Bi-Fuel for sale £1000 ono

Views : 713

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2016, 20:19   #1
ZiggyB

Default V40 2002 Bi-Fuel for sale £1000 ono

Hi all,
I thought I'd put my car on here before it goes on Ebay at the weekend when I have taken some current photos. The car is in the Turquoise metallic colour and if anyone is interested drop me a PM/text or Email. I can Email some photos over from Saturday onwards.

Cheers
Julian

For sale is my rather nice 2002 V40 Factory Bi-Fuel (lpg) estate.
I bought this before Christmas for my partner as our son is having her Alfa 147 when he passes his test but she doesn't like it!
This is a factory conversion so no problem with insurance and the car averages between 27 and 32 mpg (6 to 7 miles per litre of gas). It has a range of between 250 to 280 miles on lpg (the tank takes about 40 litres from empty) and this costs between £20 and £24 to fill depending on where you live.
It switches to lpg within about 30 seconds from cold (even in winter) so uses a minimal amount of petrol (only for start up).
This makes it as cheap to run as a modern diesel but without any of the drawbacks (poisonous emissions/DPF's etc.).

As it was to be her car I have done a lot of work to ensure it was going to be as good as it could be.
The list of work is as follows (with receipts):
New spark plugs (recommended Denso plugs by the Volvo forum)
New oil and oil filter (oil changed twice to give it a thorough flush)
New air filter
New pollen filter
New auxilliary belt pulley
LPG system cleaned and serviced (new vapour and liquid filters)
New rear brake pads (front pads still have 6mm on them)
Brake and clutch fluid changed
Handbrake mechanism cleaned and handbrake adjusted
Four wheel alignment check and rear toe in adjusted
Air con system re-gassed and oiled
New thermostat
Heater and light control display bulbs changed for LED's
There are no stored fault codes in the Engine Management or ABS system and no lights on the dash and the service light has been reset.

The car has done just over 163,000 miles which is nothing for one of these. Have a look on the Volvo forum and probably has the same left in it. These cars were built to last.
It drives beautifully, starts instantly hot or cold.
I checked the cylinder compressions and it shows between 195 and 200 psi for all cylinders which is excellent.
There is no VVT rattle at idle (common fault).
There are a load of receipts/service history with the cambelt and tensioners being changed at 118000 miles (will need changing in about 40000 miles or within 4 years). It also comes with the handbooks and service book.
The bodywork is very tidy apart from a small blob of rust on the front wing (pictured). There is the inevitable scuff/chip in the paint but the car is 14 years old.
The interior is, again, excellent and everything works. There has been a minor repair to the stitching on the drivers leather seat. The load cover is also present for the rear.
The alloy wheels also have a few scuffs and scratches.
It is currently on four good Michelin Alpin winter tyres and there are four virtually new summer tyres supplied which can be put on if you want. There is a good full size spare wheel supplied.
There is also a detachable tow bar fitted and a spare key and fob.
There is no smoke or overheating problems and you could drive this car happily across Europe (it also comes with the adaptors required for lpg filling on the continent).

The MOT runs out mid Feb but will have a new one put on this week.
So to sum up this is a car you can drive away needing nothing doing to it until the next service in 12000 miles. It is cleaned inside and out and ready to go. Any inspection welcome.

I may be interested in taking a cheaper Px of an Alfa 156 Sportwagon or a BMW 3 Series Estate as this is what she wants (Petrol only NO diesels). It doesn't matter if they need work and I will give you a fair market price.

Give me a call on (07749) 262524 or email me on jbounds@aylesbury.ac.uk

I live by Buckingham (not far from Oxford or Milton Keynes)
Thanks for looking.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 00:23   #2
ZiggyB

Default V40 Bi Fuel

My car is now on ebay at the link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V40-...kAAOSwLnlWo5sr

If you are interested or need some more photos or information please contact me
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 01:53   #3
zoidberg
Master Member

Nearly choked on my beer when I saw the price, bought and sold one last year for less than 400 !!!
zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 14:19   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
Nearly choked on my beer when I saw the price, bought and sold one last year for less than 400 !!!
Yes, me too. As I mentioned in a recent thread, the asking prices seem to be going up recently. I would be hard pushed to now buy my sport lux 92,000mls, two owners and full Volvo history for £800 as I did 18months ago.

Either values are rising or dreamers are getting more abundant. Anyway good luck to the OP if he can get that sort of money for it.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 16:36   #5
ZiggyB

Default V40 Bi Fuel

Surprisingly enough the car has sold to the first person to see it for £50 less than the asking price!
Good straight cars with no faults (and also the lpg helps) will always go for good money.
What else can you buy that is this reliable and cheap to run for the money?
The Following User Says Thank You to ZiggyB For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 17:08   #6
mcouchard
Master Member

You can actually buy a lot cheaper that is as if not more reliable and lower mileage. I sold my 2002 V40 1.8 for £700 at 108K in Oct and bought a 2005 Citroen Picasso with 65K for £800.

I know some will mock French cars but my Renault Megane is the most reliable and cheap to run car I have ever owned (only rear shocks, a wiper motor and two coils in 5 yrs), the Volvo was comfortable but thirsty and the parts (even service parts) were very expensive in comparison.
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 17:25   #7
ZiggyB

Default V40 Bi Fuel

None of your cars we're LPG and to some people (myself included) this is worth paying a premium for.
I'm surprised the Picasso cost that much!
The area I live in also reflects on the price. Good sub £1000 cars in this area are quite difficult to come by so unless you want to travel the prices are higher.
I would say that my car is not worth £1000 in Notts but add on the fuel and travel time and the saving is not worth it.
I find I travel to get cars however as the make/model I generally buy are in short supply in this area.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZiggyB For This Useful Post: