Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't rev and hunts

Views : 21139

Replies : 509

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2019, 09:19   #381
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
They were standard fit on the 760 GLE, i think the 940 GLE got them as well, known as Omega wheels. So far i've only refurbished one, as you rightly note a slightly darker grey than the "Silver" Volvo originally painted them.

I've also created a Volvo "ghost logo" on the centre cap. It was an idea i had, worst case scenario it would come out as a silver logo on a dark silver cap, best case was in certain lights it's hidden until viewed straight on.
I was lucky with the first one and haven't done the rest yet!
ah that makes sense then, the guy I bought the car off said they were fitted to the higher models I believe. I like the darker grey! I did my wheels on my v40 a darker grey and prefer it to the standard silver.

The ghost logo sounds like a good idea! that'll look very smart!
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 10:53   #382
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
ah that makes sense then, the guy I bought the car off said they were fitted to the higher models I believe. I like the darker grey! I did my wheels on my v40 a darker grey and prefer it to the standard silver.

The ghost logo sounds like a good idea! that'll look very smart!
I've updated the thread with the photos of the finished centre cap. The "grey" is Halfords Steel wheel and trim paint, very similar to Autotek paint of the same description. The silver i used was Autotek Silver Wheel paint.

I've found on pale cars darker wheels tend to look better, there's a few exceptions but usually that's the way it goes. Likewise darker cars are best suited by lighter, brighter wheels - usually.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 00:14   #383
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
I've updated the thread with the photos of the finished centre cap. The "grey" is Halfords Steel wheel and trim paint, very similar to Autotek paint of the same description. The silver i used was Autotek Silver Wheel paint.

I've found on pale cars darker wheels tend to look better, there's a few exceptions but usually that's the way it goes. Likewise darker cars are best suited by lighter, brighter wheels - usually.
Those centre caps look smart! I used that Halfords paint on mine, did them in anthracite, will find a picture if I can.
I like darker wheels on cars, by V40 is almost the same blue and the dark grey looked good on that.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 00:18   #384
ANDTWENTY

Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:56   #385
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks, although the photos in my thread don't show how the VOLVO logo disappears at certain angles, it does which is what i hoped for.

Those wheels on your V40 look good in that colour and work well with the blue of the car. Although it's a dark colour, it's still quite a bright blue so gives a good contrast with the wheels. On mine, because the paint is a pale colour, it made the wheels look "wishy-washy" when they were silver. On the Dark Blue Metallic (same colour as my avatar 740), the Omegas really pop in silver.

I had considered doing the centre caps body colour with the same silver logo but with the wheels in the steel grey, thought it would be too many colours in one area.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 21:57   #386
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Thanks, although the photos in my thread don't show how the VOLVO logo disappears at certain angles, it does which is what i hoped for.

Those wheels on your V40 look good in that colour and work well with the blue of the car. Although it's a dark colour, it's still quite a bright blue so gives a good contrast with the wheels. On mine, because the paint is a pale colour, it made the wheels look "wishy-washy" when they were silver. On the Dark Blue Metallic (same colour as my avatar 740), the Omegas really pop in silver.

I had considered doing the centre caps body colour with the same silver logo but with the wheels in the steel grey, thought it would be too many colours in one area.

That's pretty good that they don't show at certain angles! That's a good idea!

Yea I do like the look of them in that colour, I'm tempted to do it to the 940 but I don't want to change the originality of it particularly as the cars in such good condition! Choosing colours can be such a pain! The beetle that's on the trailer behind I've been restoring and is now at the paint shop and picking the colours for that was a nightmare, deciding on wheel colours weather to do them 2 tone or not.

I'm off Monday and Tuesday and was hoping to have another go at finding a cause for this, I saw that someone said the lambda could cause it on another thread somewhere although you said it isn't used until the engine is warm so would this mean it's not the case? I need to get another one anyway as the threads are stripped on it.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 22:41   #387
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As far as i can work out, it's down to refraction of light through the lacquer, get the right angle and it obscures the VOLVO logo.

The Lambda won't cause a problem like you've got, certainly when the engine is cold anyway. Takes time for even heated Lambdas to get up to temperature.
Even when the Lambda is up to temperature and so is the engine, it still won't, it will simply over-fuel.
However if the threads are stripped it might cause a problem but that would be most obvious at idle and would also have brought the MIL light on.

Monday has been renamed Monsoonday by the rumour-mongers aka Met Office so tuesday would be a better bet. Drop me a PM if you'd like me to come over and give you a hand.

Old Oct 13th, 2019, 23:04   #388
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
As far as i can work out, it's down to refraction of light through the lacquer, get the right angle and it obscures the VOLVO logo.

The Lambda won't cause a problem like you've got, certainly when the engine is cold anyway. Takes time for even heated Lambdas to get up to temperature.
Even when the Lambda is up to temperature and so is the engine, it still won't, it will simply over-fuel.
However if the threads are stripped it might cause a problem but that would be most obvious at idle and would also have brought the MIL light on.

Monday has been renamed Monsoonday by the rumour-mongers aka Met Office so tuesday would be a better bet. Drop me a PM if you'd like me to come over and give you a hand.

Ah okay that makes sense why you see it from some angles and not others! Yea I wasn't convinced it would be the lambda as mine stopped working and didn't cause any issue as such, a slight loss in power perhaps but nothing major.

Yea just seen the weather, that's okay cus Mondays will be what I call a Zombie day, I'm on a night tonight so will be in bed in the morning, might get a lambda sensor and fit it Tuesday although the one at GSF car parts is one you have to wire in, I don't think it has the connectors on it, would this be an issue?

Okay I'll PM you.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 23:16   #389
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah okay that makes sense why you see it from some angles and not others! Yea I wasn't convinced it would be the lambda as mine stopped working and didn't cause any issue as such, a slight loss in power perhaps but nothing major.

Yea just seen the weather, that's okay cus Mondays will be what I call a Zombie day, I'm on a night tonight so will be in bed in the morning, might get a lambda sensor and fit it Tuesday although the one at GSF car parts is one you have to wire in, I don't think it has the connectors on it, would this be an issue?

Okay I'll PM you.
Worth checking ECP as well, https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their current promo code is "WEEKEND37" for 37% off.

Could probably pick it up from Sharon Road in BSE after work if you were lucky. Don't see a problem wiring it in but if ECP have one pre-wired with the correct plug that would make life easier.

Old Oct 13th, 2019, 23:24   #390
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Worth checking ECP as well, https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their current promo code is "WEEKEND37" for 37% off.

Could probably pick it up from Sharon Road in BSE after work if you were lucky. Don't see a problem wiring it in but if ECP have one pre-wired with the correct plug that would make life easier.

I couldn't see one in Euros the other day but just found one, Euros has a Bosch one for £55 with discount and is the same deal without connectors and says can collect Tuesday. The GSF one is £25 but doesn't give a make and is in stock, probably best with the Bosch I assume?