Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stainless steel exhausts and CATs

Views : 949

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2023, 15:31   #1
El Padrino

Default Stainless steel exhausts and CATs

Hi,

A few questions regarding stainless steel exhausts and CATs, in particular for a 98 V70R. I'm not looking to tune or remap the engine. I want a nice rumble (but not too loud) to enhance the sound of the inline 5 engine at idle and acceleration and an exhaust that will last (as she'll be a keeper).

1. Is it possible to have a turbo back exhaust, but with the original Volvo CAT in place?

2. If it's not possible to keep the original Volvo CAT with a turbo back exhaust system and it needs a 200 cell sports CAT, would the ECU need reprogramming on the car, so the it passes the emissions test come MOT time?

3. If a full turbo back exhaust with a 200 cell sports CAT say produced an extra 10BHP, that would supposedly take my BHP to 250BHP. With my car being an auto 98 V70R (which only produces 240BHP), would it be detrimental to the gearbox?

Many thanks.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 13:43   #2
Shinsplintz 101

In response:

1. Not really, no. You can leave the original down pipe and cat bolted to the turbo and change the rear half of the exhaust system to SS , there's a clamped Union in the middle.of the car that allows for this. Chopping out you original CAT and grafting it into a full SS exhaust system is possible, but most come with 200 or 100 cel CAT anyway, so why bother?

2. No, ECU won't poo itself with an uprated exhaust. The only reason you'd fail an MOT with a 200 cell CAT is (a) it's a cheap Chinesium CAT with no rare earth metals in to clean up the gasses (b) your car is in a poor state of tune and is running rich, stage zero required.

3. The gearboxes are rock solid to about 300bhp. Auto and manual. Would be worth investing in an uprated clutch if your is a manual or an external oil cooler for the box if an auto if your worried about longevity. Neither are expensive and well worth doing as part of proactive maintenance.

Personally, and I've been in your position, buy yourself a nice quality cat back 2.5" SS exhaust and give it a go. I've always found Ferrita good, but there are plenty of others available.

Good luck and have fun. These cars modify easily on the original ECU and OEM mechanicals upto abut 280 bhp ish, then more thought is required.

Cheers, Morgan
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 19:55   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above. However, note that while your autobox will take the kind of increases you are talking about with no problem (although I'd recommend a thorough flush, and if you can run to it a magnatec thingy) do bear in mind that the 5-speed box is a good deal weaker than the 4 speed, so if you decide to further upgrade power in the future you might be wise to not go too far if you have a 5-speed box. Not sure which it would be on your year, you can tell by the gear selector options.
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 10:56   #4
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
In response:

1. Not really, no. You can leave the original down pipe and cat bolted to the turbo and change the rear half of the exhaust system to SS , there's a clamped Union in the middle.of the car that allows for this. Chopping out you original CAT and grafting it into a full SS exhaust system is possible, but most come with 200 or 100 cel CAT anyway, so why bother?

2. No, ECU won't poo itself with an uprated exhaust. The only reason you'd fail an MOT with a 200 cell CAT is (a) it's a cheap Chinesium CAT with no rare earth metals in to clean up the gasses (b) your car is in a poor state of tune and is running rich, stage zero required.

3. The gearboxes are rock solid to about 300bhp. Auto and manual. Would be worth investing in an uprated clutch if your is a manual or an external oil cooler for the box if an auto if your worried about longevity. Neither are expensive and well worth doing as part of proactive maintenance.

Personally, and I've been in your position, buy yourself a nice quality cat back 2.5" SS exhaust and give it a go. I've always found Ferrita good, but there are plenty of others available.

Good luck and have fun. These cars modify easily on the original ECU and OEM mechanicals upto abut 280 bhp ish, then more thought is required.

Cheers, Morgan
Shinsplintz,

Thanks for clarifying those points. As I don't intend to retune the engine, I can't see any point in a full turbo back exhaust. I think a CAT back will suit me fine and keep costs down. I've heard the Ferrita's are good, but will give a few custom exhaust builders a call for quotes too.
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 11:04   #5
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
As above. However, note that while your autobox will take the kind of increases you are talking about with no problem (although I'd recommend a thorough flush, and if you can run to it a magnatec thingy) do bear in mind that the 5-speed box is a good deal weaker than the 4 speed, so if you decide to further upgrade power in the future you might be wise to not go too far if you have a 5-speed box. Not sure which it would be on your year, you can tell by the gear selector options.
Thanks Luxobarge. Good to hear the auto boxes are solid. Mine is the 4-speed auto. Regards to flushing the auto box, I was going to ask on a separate thread how often should the auto box be flushed on a car with over 216K. I don't do a lot of mileage these days (maybe a max of two 50 mile round trips, but not every week), but do want to ensure the auto box is kept in good shape.
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 20:19   #6
britten_mark

Reading this thread with interest as the original Volvo Cat on my 850 T5 was stolen a few years back and the PO junked the whole lot and fitted a cheapy from Ebay.

The Lambda light seems to be a permanent feature, not sure how it has got through the last few MOTs like that?

Anyhow I plan to replace with a new stainless system, but searching through Ebay I notice a few "Cat delete" options......can the 850 really get through the MOT without a Cat? Even 200 cell options would make me nervous at the annual test.
britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 05:26   #7
Shinsplintz 101

You won't get through an mot without a CAT. Unless it's a very "friendly " mot tester. Brown envelope with a deposit the MOT testers retirement fund required....

Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Mar 12th, 2023 at 05:32.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 09:25   #8
britten_mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
You won't get through an mot without a CAT. Unless it's a very "friendly " mot tester. Brown envelope with a deposit the MOT testers retirement fund required....
Is a quality 200 CEL sufficient? I dont know much aboout Cats but that "200" seems to be the figure quoted on all adverts/threads about performance stuff. Are more robust ones available in stainless aftermarket? I'm more concerned with peace of mind, silence and longevity than performance.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 10:35   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Not sure why you'd want to go to the additional work, aggro and expense of a full system, why not retain the original Volvo CAT (which is very good quality and long lasting) and just go for a new cat-back system? Or am I missing something?
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 16:27   #10
britten_mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Not sure why you'd want to go to the additional work, aggro and expense of a full system, why not retain the original Volvo CAT (which is very good quality and long lasting) and just go for a new cat-back system? Or am I missing something?
Yes as mentioned above Cat was stolen 2 years ago and the previous owner junked whole exhaust system. Now running an Ebay cheapy exhaust with a Lambda lighton and an MOT advsory last inspection for minor leak of exhaust gases in middle so I'm guessing a new whole exhaust, complete with Cat, is on the horizon.
The Following User Says Thank You to britten_mark For This Useful Post: