Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Engine Tuning

Views : 21037

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 10:13   #21
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
In short, from what I've read, the 185 has a much uprated DMF and clutch
Can somebody please confirm this ?
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 10:53   #22
turbo-tuner
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhorse View Post
Actually, this is factual, and others here have had the same problem with the Euro 3 engine. You say you are running a sport map but have not specified which one ~ is it Rica sportune 210 ? if the clutch isnt prone to slipping 2-3k rpm, your engine is down on power compared to others
Just to clarify, the RICA Stage 2 (Sports Tune) for D5 Euro 3 should produce no more than 460 Nm torque. If a Euro 3 car is making 480+ Nm then something is wrong. A correctly running car should not have any clutch slip.

For comparison, the normal RICA Stage 1 for Euro 3 makes 25 Nm less than the RICA Stage 2.
turbo-tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 12:35   #23
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-tuner View Post
Just to clarify, the RICA Stage 2 (Sports Tune) for D5 Euro 3 should produce no more than 460 Nm torque. If a Euro 3 car is making 480+ Nm then something is wrong. A correctly running car should not have any clutch slip.

For comparison, the normal RICA Stage 1 for Euro 3 makes 25 Nm less than the RICA Stage 2.
Thats very interesting - we've had 2 V70s, both with Rica sportune210, both slipping the clutch (and making the DMF squeal) & I know of at least 4 other people experiencing the same problem. Perhaps Roel's figures are not an exact science... or maybe the standard clutch can't handle the wall of torque

Last edited by hobbyhorse; Sep 6th, 2010 at 12:52.
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 13:02   #24
turbo-tuner
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Thats very interesting - we've had 2 V70s, both with Rica sportune210, both slipping the clutch (and making the DMF squeal) & I know of at least 4 other people experiencing the same problem. Perhaps Roel's figures are not an exact science... or maybe the standard clutch can't handle the wall of torque
If the clutch is slipping and reduced torque is required, this can be easily fixed with a software tweak (assuming the components regulating the boost are fine). RICA can adjust the torque anywhere in the rev range, so only the affected part of the rev range needs to be changed, while leaving the rest as it is.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 14:30   #25
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-tuner View Post
If the clutch is slipping and reduced torque is required, this can be easily fixed with a software tweak (assuming the components regulating the boost are fine). RICA can adjust the torque anywhere in the rev range, so only the affected part of the rev range needs to be changed, while leaving the rest as it is.
The clutch problems correspond with the peak torque hump on the Power plot @ Rica, though the later version of Sportune seems tamer, the problem is still there. I want to find a way of reliably getting that delicious torque to the tarmac without capping the peak power hence the earlier question about the Euro 4 clutch; If we were to reduce the peak torque I might as well flash the map to stage 1 (I'd rather stick wasps up my.... ) however as the car approachs 100k, the IC is in it's twilight years so the power may well start disappearing soon

ps. not meaning to open the old worm can but how much longer until my PPC unit goes into enforced retirement ?
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 14:57   #26
turbo-tuner
I've Been Banned

Quote:
The clutch problems correspond with the peak torque hump on the Power plot @ Rica, though the later version of Sportune seems tamer, the problem is still there.
The problem can be eliminated by reducing the torque only at the particular point where the hump is, without affecting the rest of the rev range, so it would not be the same as the Stage 1. It's certainly the simplest solution. However, this assumes that there are no problems with mechanical boost or fuel regulation, since this can also produce the same symptoms, especially as the cars get older with higher mileage.

Quote:
I want to find a way of reliably getting that delicious torque to the tarmac without capping the peak power hence the earlier question about the Euro 4 clutch
Many tuners offer 460-480 Nm on the Euro 4 cars, much higher than the standard Euro 3 offerings of approx 410-435 Nm. Indeed, even Polestar offers 450 Nm on the Euro 4. IMO, if the clutch/DMF was the same on Euro 4 cars as it is on Euro 3 cars, I personally can't see how Volvo/Polestar could safely offer 450 Nm on the Euro 4. The fact that they do offer 450 Nm, indicates to me they must know that the Euro 4 clutch/DMF can handle way more than 450 Nm, and therefore way more than the Euro 3 DMF/clutch can handle.

Quote:
ps. not meaning to open the old worm can but how much longer until my PPC unit goes into enforced retirement ?
I have good news - it will never go into forced retirement. RICA have informed me that the RICA PPC sync functionality will now remain switched on indefinitely.

Last edited by turbo-tuner; Sep 6th, 2010 at 15:15.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:08   #27
raithc70

Smile

Quote:
Actually, this is factual, and others here have had the same problem with the Euro 3 engine. You say you are running a sport map but have not specified which one ~ is it Rica sportune 210 ? if the clutch isnt prone to slipping 2-3k rpm, your engine might be down on power compared to others

Car is running the Rica sportune 210, and has been RR'd at 200bhp, 360lbs torq
goes fine
1998 C70 T5 GT
raithc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 13:24   #28
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithc70 View Post
Car is running the Rica sportune 210, and has been RR'd at 200bhp, 360lbs torq
goes fine
Jase, looks like the power is down a tad ~ should be 210; our current car shows
212bhp & 481nm of torque, until recently I was running a fully decat front pipe (till it fell to pieces) for a shade under 216bhp but surprisingly a bit less torque @ 464nm
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 16:35   #29
don kalmar union
Trader

Default MTE Swedish written D5 software.

With the premium Swedish written MTE software that I can supply here in the UK you will have none of this problem of clutch or DMF slip at or near peak torque.

This occurs where the aftermarket supplier has neither got the Volvo files nor the finesse to get the callibrations correct.

With the Polestar branded software which originates from the hands of Volvo's own software engineers in their development shop you get the most finesse in control of the build up of outputs so as not to exceed the design parameters of the clutch, DMF etc.. It is disingenuous and downright dishonest in the extreme for an aftermarket supplier to state that 'cos the Polestar brand D5 software gives such and such a similar peak torque figure, their matching claim should be so safe.......when they are stabbing in the dark at mastering the callibrations to effect their claimed higher outputs.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 18:27   #30
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
With the premium Swedish written MTE software that I can supply here in the UK you will have none of this problem of clutch or DMF slip at or near peak torque.
Don, you have a very good product to sell but at the next post down there is a report of someone with an MTE D5 that has clutch issues !

EDIT FOR CONTINUITY: that post has now vanished

Also my V70 was made in Belgium, the ECM by Bosch in Germany; P2 premium Swedish ? Now where's that snake oil

Last edited by hobbyhorse; Sep 7th, 2010 at 19:09. Reason: continuity of thread
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote