Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Limp mode after warm up, DPF regen and fuel filter changed

Views : 22075

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 11:03   #1
Appletree

Default Limp mode after warm up, DPF regen and fuel filter changed

Hi,

This is a post for my dad as he'g gone away for abit and i'm trying to sort his car out for him.

Its a 55plate V70 D5 185 mannual with around 55k miles onthe clock.

He only uses it for a short run day to day but if he notices a reg (Big MPG drop) he'll carry on driving till the MPG goes back up.

Any way few days ago the orange triangle came on in the middle of the dash and he got the "engine system service required". this fault would clear if the car was left for a day but would return as soon as the car got to the 2nd mark on the temp gauge (car warm enough to start a regen).

We suspected DPF could be the issue and also as it was due a Fuel filter got it booked in to lincoln Volvo.

I dropped the car off yesterday for him and on the drive over as alway the car went in to limp mode when the the temp gauge rose but this time the "engine" light came on in the right corner of the cluster.

I continued to drive over at 50mph ish with no turbo untill i had to over take a tractor. During the over take i held 3rd up to 3.5krpm ( still with no turbo) and then when i went to grab 4th i had full boost back! untill i dropped below 2krpm again? the "engine light" never went out.

The car went back in to limp mode again at the next traffic lights but again after if i revved and then let the revs drop alittle or used engine braking over 3krpm the next time i pressed the throttle i had full boost again till the revs dropped again.

Volvo tryied a new DPF pressure differencial sensor and found it did not change the problem so refitted the old one. they then did a feul filter change and did the DPF reg and read the codes.

they said there weren't any codes that would be an issue but did say the "regeration counter" was very high to reset it to zero again.

Picked the car up last night and seamed to be ok all the way home apart from seaming to go in to regen mode so it went for a run up the A1 and came home all working well.

This morning though its gone back in to limp mode with the "engine system service required message"

Does this sounnd like a vacume issue?? the engine braking/higher revs causing more vacume? or maybe a solinoid issue or the flap linkage braking on the manifold.

Any help or if you have had simular problems and can advise the fix would be much appreicated.

Thanks Matt

Last edited by Appletree; Apr 6th, 2012 at 13:26.
Appletree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 11:10   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

you really must get it back to the dealer they are the only ones with the know how , back up and experience . , However they really should not have changed the differential pressure sensor unless they knew it was faulty , it isnt hard to tell .
Why did they do a forced regeneration? how much weight of soot was in the particle filter ?
No one can help here without the relavant fault codes and details as there can be many many different causes .
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 11:25   #3
Appletree

The only code we got which our code reader didn't recognise was 2009???

They didn't change the sensor and charge us they fitted a new one to see if it cure the problem which it didn't so they put the old one back on.

I've rung the dealer today but the techs arn't in today.

If anyone can recommend a readear that will do all volvo codes i'll get one ordered as ours only does some engine codes think its a launch or somthing like that.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 17:25   #4
Appletree

Just to update this thread, ive had the codes read by forum member outnumbered and have the below codes for diagnosis.

Bear in mind that all codes were cleared by volvo yesterday

This code did not bring up a dash light but after being cleared came streight back but the car still drove ok with boost
ECM 2A20 - Particulate signal to low RED

These codes had been cleared by the car and did not come back (forgot what the codes mean)
ECM 2A50 - YELLOW
ECM 2A70 - YELLOW
ECM 6661 - Glow plug relay control faulty signal YELLOW

Mike tried to re calibrate the sensor using the diagnostics in the Software but the fault was still there.

Any Ideas, we thought it could be loose wire or a loose connection possibly

I can't thank Outnumbered enough for the help in reading the codes and trying to recify the problem for me. Also thanks to the forum within 6 hours of joining ive already got along way to finding the problem and meet a knowledgable forum member so thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 22:04   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

all 3 codes ECM 2A20 , 2A50 , 2A70 all relate to the output signal from the pressure differential sensor being too low to what is expected .

It seems the sensor itself is not the problem ,did they tray a NEW sensor or a second hand one? but what about the two pipes down to the particle filter ? blocked ? burned through? and also if they are transposed , ie fitted the wrong way around either at the sensor end or the particle filter end .

It would help if you can read out the pressure sensor reading:

The reading from the sensor with just the ignition on and engine off . ( should be zero)
The reading at idle (3 to 20 hpa depending how much soot in filter )
The reading when revved hard . ( may go up to 70 Hpa with soot in .)
The amount of soot in the filter . ( this can be read out )

you can eliminate wiring problems by reading the pressure and seeing if it reacts "normaly" under the above conditions .
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:40   #6
Appletree

Hi clan thanks for the information.
According to the tech my dad spoke to they fitted a 100% new sensor but it didn't sort the problem so they re fitted his old sensor. They also told him that they checked all the wiring with a special plug/tool.

As for the pipes being the wrong way, they have never been off the car till now and the fault was there before. But I agree they could be blocked/burnt especially as his car always seams to be in regeneration mode. Although yesterday I averaged 48mpg over 45m with pretty normal driving on B roads.

How do I get the to look at the figures the sensor is sending? Do i need to pipe in a vacuum gauge or do i need to look at the 0-5v signal in the VIDA?

I have just ordered him the VIDA knock off kit off eBay so should be better equiped to get the codes in the future.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:49   #7
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

because the other two codes where not live i dismissed them out of the equation, there is a test on Vida that you can do to check those issues and figures.seeing as you are getting the KNOCK off kit LOL i would wait and do the test then and as the car is running okay at the moment let it develop.
mike
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 08:12   #8
Appletree

Hi, mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
seeing as you are getting the KNOCK off kit LOL i would wait and do the test then and as the car is running okay at the moment let it develop.
mike
I believe that KNOCK off was the correct discription for such a product in the volvo circles LOL, as long as it works. sure it will.

i ordered the kit yesterday and have had a message from the seller so say it will be shipped tuesday when there UK depot is back at work, which is fair enough so maybe i'll get it thursday and can get some more fault finding done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Appletree For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 08:17   #9
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

I believe that KNOCK off was the correct discription for such a product in the volvo circles LOL, as long as it works. sure it will.

classic
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 13:16   #10
Appletree

Just been on the phone to volvo to see exactly what they have done reguards fault finding and the tech who did the work was in.

He said he did get the codes i have posted above.

He swapped the sensor for a new one but it made no differance so the old one was put back on.

Then checked the wiring, all good with normal values.

Removed and check the pipes and found no problem, they weren't perished or blocked and he pulled a vacuum on them with the sensor hooked up to the diagnostics and they again showed normal readings.

They then did the forced DPF filter clean and gave the car back to my dad.

They have said they would like the car back in wednesdy to do some more work on it and he as said he would like to remove the DPF and have a look inside it to see if there is any problems.

Just a thought from me, as he has said the pipes weren't blocked and he's tested them could there be a chance that the hose tails/nipples the pipes connect to could be block on the, or inside the, DPF filter its self??