Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm malfunction message

Views : 5481

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 22:41   #1
GrahamHR

Default Alarm malfunction message

V60 Polestar, 2015.

Loads of posts about this type of problem on various platforms; the problem on my car seems different.

Initially, I thought it was the sensor on the bonnet catch. I don't get a "bonnet" open message though. I did once, when it wasn't fully closed. So I don't think it's that ( open to being told otherwise though!).

I set the alarm, after a while all 4 indicators start flashing, but no alarm siren sound. It happens if the battery is on charge or not on charge, fully charged or not and whether the alarm is set on "reduced guard" or not.

I have to leave it unlocked; ironically shielded by a fellow Swede car, a 2007 9-3 Aero convertible with a fully functioning alarm system at 14 years old !

It's not good for a modern car ( I relented on an earlier vow based on my 2004/5 V70 D5, never to buy another Volvo as the electronics and electrical components and connectors were so dire !). I think I was wrong to relent !

The car is now 6 years old with less than 15,000 miles on it; en route to "we buy anycar" I think unfortunately !

Last edited by GrahamHR; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 22:45.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 23:30   #2
Spike56
Master Member

I believe that the alarm battery is totally separate from the cars. As such it can and indeed does sometimes expire and occasionally take the alarm p.c.b. with it! The whole unit is usually found behind the drivers side wheel arch inside the plastic cover. Your model may be different from mine!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 18:10   #3
GrahamHR

Today, I had it locked for 6 hours on "reduced guard", the alarm never triggered once ! I'll risk leaving it like that overnight, with the Saab still in place !

This malfunction is especially worrying now. Our village is suffering a crime wave at the moment, mainly thefts and suspicious van movements according to the local milkman at his delivery times, around ca 04;00 (the ones he reported turned out to be untaxed, no MOT or have false plates). There is a newly arrived load of Gypsys and their caravans at the other end of the village, surely not related to the crime wave ?
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 18:15   #4
GrahamHR

Update;

Well, the alarm did not trigger overnight nor at any time today until 17:30 (only indicators flashing and a rapidly flashing LED on the dash )! Why, what has changed ? I have no idea. Maybe a battery voltage issue with the siren ( which does not sound). I unlocked it, 20 minutes later it was triggered again, as the car had locked itself/ set the alarm. I unlocked it. opened a door and closed it, hopefully now it will not relock itself. Who knows.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 22:35   #5
GrahamHR

This gets worse.

Automatic switching on of the heated wheel and heated drivers seats is set as "off".

They come on regardless, even though the fuse for the heated wheel according to the on line owners manual is not fitted !

The UK/ RHD on line user manual is wrong as far as fuse box location is concerned; it is a mirror image from the LHD vehicles.

What fuse protects which circuit, who knows ?

The ultrasonic detector unit was rattling and loose in the central headliner light assembly.

It's not a great quality performance from Volvo really.

I disconnected the siren 5A fuse ( if that is indeed the correct one). No alarm yet, I suspect it's the siren unit that is at fault.

This reminds me of my 2004 V70 D5; bought new from a Volvo dealer, many electronic problems to the extent they asked me if it had ever been submerged under water; NO !

Last edited by GrahamHR; Feb 7th, 2021 at 22:41.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 17:23   #6
V60Pstar

Hi Graham

Did you ever get this issue fixed? My MY15 V60 Polestar is doing the exact same thing. I get the alarm notification with the hazards flashing but no siren.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike
V60Pstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 17:50   #7
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
The car is now 6 years old with less than 15,000 miles on it; en route to "we buy anycar" I think unfortunately !
I'd be interested as well.
Mine's also en route to we buy any car but I could do with the alarm system malfunction message removing first to avoid them trying to knock me down a grand. I can't find the siren unit, I've looked under the scuttle panel and both front wheel arches but there's no sign. I was hoping to drill it open and replace the batteries.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 15:34   #8
GrahamHR

The alarm siren is behind the passenger side (UK) front wheelarch liner; high up at the back of the wheelarch.

I removed mine when I fitted the winter wheels and tyres I have and took it apart ( angle grinder on the welds). No leakage from the battery, no corrosion internally, everything nice and clean. I fitted a (fully charged) new battery to it and refitted it; still the same problem.

My diagnostics showed a siren issue. The error message could be erased, but comes back.

The car got serviced, their diagnostics showed the same issue. Their suggestion; Needs to be booked in for a new siren to be fitted. I'm not so sure !

I was going to fit a new one myself when I put the summer tyres back on; I think I'll get the dealer to do it instead; if it works, great. If it doesn't then they will need to find out why ( and shouldn't really charge me the £200 or so for the siren if the old one was OK).

The right CTA has also developed a fault; multiple rapid warnings when I was driving along, nothing there and then a BLIS/ CTA service required message appeared. The unit is not communicating with the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 16:49   #9
V60Pstar

Thanks for the info.

I do love the car and thoroughly enjoy driving it, but I've had several issues with the electrics over the years and it's getting tiresome. Still, I'll keep it for a few years longer
V60Pstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 22:28   #10
Chrisv60

My alarm went off at 3am this morning. It sounded for about 30 seconds and then went quiet but with the indicators still flashing.

I only looked for the siren in the front part of the wheel arch as the one's online seemed to be under the headlamps. I think I'll just bite the bullet and get it booked in at the dealers.
Thanks.