Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Running a 1990's V70 in 2023

Views : 3478

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2023, 17:36   #11
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo3000 View Post
Thanks. Just been researching the OBD issue and it's concerning me now that maybe I shouldn't be buying an earlier V70 with the problems of resetting the warning lights on the dashboard. I'd appreciate any info on this.

Especially as we used to have a 96 SAAB 9000 turbo many years ago and tried numerous garages to solve the ABS warning light, they couldn't get into the diagnostics or fix the problem so the car was scrapped.
I don't think that I would become overly hung up over this point, 'Volvo3000'.

Another real-life example: the only warning light issue that I have experienced during the six years that I have owned my V70 is that the EML occasionally illuminates. It's presence in no way affects either the car's performance or economy, and my garage has diagnosed it as being down to a borderline sensor. They reset it whenever the car goes in and off we go until the next time. I have found that while a 'sporty' driving style may delay it's reappearance, conversly a a more gentle one may precipitate an earlier recurrence. It is something that I am content to live with and does not detract from my enjoyment of the car.

Apropos Saabs: my wife runs a V6 9000 and while they do apparently need 'tech II' diagnostics, this has never been an issue in the 11 years that she has owned the car. I can point to at least three garages within 50 miles (two within 20) of where I live who can provide this service. This is another older car (it is a '95) that has - and continues - to serve us well.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jan 18th, 2023 at 17:39.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 17:38   #12
El Padrino

Hi Volvo3000,

I purchased a 98 V70R last year and very pleased I did. I was contemplating on a brand new lease on a Skoda Superb/Octavia, something to give me motoring/car ownership peace of mind for the next 3 years, with it being brand new. As I wasn't doing a high mileage anymore, I thought why not get something more interesting to drive and enjoy. So, I went down the modern classic route and the V70 in a T5-R or R form it was for me.

Mine has done over 215K but she still pulls with power. I bought it off a forum member who had cared for her during their ownership and I intend to do the same. So far, it's just been the routine service and the ABS/TRACS rebuilt. The aircon doesn't work at the moment, but that can be done later. The Volvo indie who takes care of my car says parts can still sourced and where they can't, some parts can be reconditioned.

As with any car, as long as the maintenance is kept up, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck finding your dream V70 and keep us posted.

PS: The indie had loaned me a F reg 740 as a courtesy car and the looks I received!!! I hope they were looks of admiration.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 17:47   #13
El Padrino

@Bob12

I took a punt with it as it was a '98 a top of the range motor with all the 'bells and whistles' working and came with only 88K miles on the clock. It had a few little problems when I bought it for £275 but, I was able to resovle them with minimal expenditure including superglue!

£275!!! - a bargain sir with that spec. Well done.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 18:43   #14
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I mentioned the diagnostic system only in the sense that if I were buying again I'd possibly be a little more inclined towards one with full OBDII for easy checking, it is possible to get codes from the older ones using a blinker device which is explained in an article on the first page of the Articles section, from what I can make out it replicates the way the little diagnostics boxes under the bonnet of an 850 work. As of yet I've not got around to making a blinker because I've not needed it in ten years, with the 850 I did use the diagnostics to find a faulty sensor which intermittently threw up a warning light on the dash.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 19:35   #15
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

The only light that I had is the Service Required one- sorted with the Volvo FCR via a club member:~
ABS lights can also be sorted by fresh solder to certain points: well documented within the forum and an easy fix that will last.

Get one sooner than later, you won't regret it.
Good Luck,
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 20:01   #16
4x4
Premier Member

I think the series 1 V70 is the same as the 850 and if so these are your options for diagnostics

The Volvo System Tester (VST) is rare and very expensive, Ilexa VOL-FCR is the ‘go-to’ PC based programme that works but requires the cost of the software, a compatible lead and a Windows XP computer.

xiaotec 850 OBD-II app available from Google Play, it requires an Android phone and a compatible OBDII Bluetooth ELM adaptor but caution is required as not all ELM adaptors will work on the Volvo 850.
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 21:57   #17
SwedishBus

The only thing I would add to all of the above is that it is easier to get hold of parts for the frontwheeldrive V70's, as compared to AWD variants. The parts also seem to work-out a lot cheaper.

I use my two V70's as my "moderns" - they are my main cars - and I don't think twice about it at the moment. Parts are starting to dry-up a bit, but nothing serious. The only thing that might cause me to invest in a 3D printer is the dreadful interior trim - brittle and fragile now, and all needing a redesign to give the cars another 25years of life.

I convinced a pal of mine to shift his Jaguar X-Type (on a flatbed, probably ultimate destination China.....) and get a V70, but because he wanted something a bit more "sporty", he went for a V70R. His experiences are that he has to pay a bit more, work a bit harder, and wait a bit longer, every time something breaks on that car. He's still looking for a viscous centre coupling or an overhaul for the same, and that's after a year or so. However, that is also his main car, which he uses to fetch parts for his old classics from all over the UK.

The P80, in my opinion, is one of the best cars ever designed and produced, even outside of Volvo. Pick wisely, bide your time, and you won't want to swap cars again.
SwedishBus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SwedishBus For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 13:16   #18
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Just to add to the discussion, we use our 26 year old 850R as a daily. I did a thorough stage 0 service as soon as I bought it, and it has only needed routine servicing since. Its 100% reliable, comfy, quite quick, and is genuinely a 'jump in and go' car.

I bought a 940 LPT a few months ago and am still working my way through the stage 0 service list before starting to use that as the daily - I only bought this to keep the mileage on the 850R down.

Buy carefully, do a stage 0 service and then service regularly with quality parts & oils, and it'll outlast many blandobox cars on the road today.

Parts availability is pretty good, and you can usually get any mechanical part from somewhere*. That doesn't mean they're cheap - the self levelling rear suspension 'Nivomats' can run to over £800 a pair, but most parts are quite reasonably priced. Trim parts are more difficult to find though it has to be said.

*caveat - as mentioned above the AWD mechanical parts are the exception, some are extremely hard to find, and may have to be repaired rather than replaced.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 19:25   #19
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I too run a 1998 V70 Tdi auto as a daily driver. I've owned the car for just over 20 years so have the advantage of knowing it's history. I've found parts availability so far to be good. My local Volvo dealer's parts department is very good and they know all about the classic parts service.

Having said that, there are some parts which are discontinued and the number of these will inevitably increase. Fortunately many pattern parts are available and so far, a careful choice has always found something of good quality. I've never had to resort to a breaker yet but I should imagine that source is beginning to dry up.

One point I would make and I really should have followed my own advice, is to do anything that needs doing sooner rather than later. If left, you may find that parts are less readily available.

Although many of the parts are common to both RHD and LHD models, some obviously are not. Some RHD specific parts can be rather more difficult to procure simply because there were many more LHD cars made. For example aircon evaporators for the LHD models are quite easy to obtain. The RHD version, which is completely different, is not.

There is a considerable amount of pleasure to be had from running one of these older cars, Not so long back they were a commonplace sight on our roads; just about everybody and his dog had one. Now they have virtually all gone and mine, although far from immaculate, very often attracts favourable comments from other motorists. If nothing else, it's an incentive to tidy it up.

One final point is that you probably won't need to worry about depreciation. Prices are beginning to rise for anything half-decent with an MoT.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 19:31   #20
Alpine

Note that during the model run from 1997 to 2000, there was an update mid-way through.

You can tell by the grill badge, black centre on pre-update and blue post-update

The changes were mainly moving to coil packs and fly-by-wire throttle. Some say the pre-update ones are more reliable, as the cable throttle is less likely to be a problem.

As for parts, eBay has managed to sort me out so far. I try go for used genuine Volvo parts where I can, rather than new pattern copies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post: