Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to me 850 T5 - where does this plug go?

Views : 951

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2023, 15:50   #1
britten_mark

Default New to me 850 T5 - where does this plug go?

Hi all. I recently purchased this car, just before doing so the PO said he had the radiator replaced.

On having a casual look around under the bonnet today I found a loose grey plug adjacent the radiator which I presume was removed to make space but can I eck as like find a recepticle for it within reach of the wire. Can anyone give me a clue what its for? It has a beefy looking blue wire with a red tracer, and the plug is very oily!

britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 17:17   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

There are quite a few plugs on the loom of my car which don't do anything or go anywhere, the loom is built to accommodate all of the options. When you say the plug is oily, is that all of the plug as if it got oily while not plugged in, or just the back of the plug suggesting it was plugged in when it got oily?

I'm not seeing the pictures at the moment but that may well be my rubbish internet.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 20:41   #3
britten_mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post

I'm not seeing the pictures at the moment but that may well be my rubbish internet.
I can see them hopefu;lly they are here. Its just suspiciously close to some fresh connections for the radiatot thats all - I cant see a vacant socket from above.

I forgot this furum doesnt host pictures does it? You have to dump them elsewhere and post a link?

Try this one;

Old Mar 10th, 2023, 22:12   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Picture not showing.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 14:12   #5
britten_mark

Tried uploading to Flickr and posting links which usually works but just get the following message

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php?do=postreply&t=331378 on this server."

Looks like I'll have to ask on Facebook! Maybe time this forum was updated a tad?
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 15:39   #6
4x4
Premier Member

If you reduce your images to approx 1000 pixels wide you can upload them directly to the forum

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4937.jpg (169.2 KB, 35 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 19:47   #7
britten_mark

Thanks for that.
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 22:43   #8
Baffler
Premier Member

Is that perhaps the feed to the Air-Con compressor disconnected?

And is there a female socket (red circle) for it on the fan shroud? You may need to remove the air inlet duct for a better look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4937.jpg (243.5 KB, 28 views)

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 00:28   #9
britten_mark

No that little thin blue/pink wire goes into that socket. A couple of people on Facebook reckoned it was for a secondary air pump for other markets (not used) but it definitely looks like someone has had their grubby mits on it.

Nothing lights on the dash when AC switched to "ON", but the compressor is on the other side of the engine?

I found aome 850 wiring diagrams for the 850 on this site where the blue/red wires were for various functions on 2 pages under the heading "Turbo engine performance circuits" linked to the Motronic unit and the "central electrical unit".

Could this have been linked to the Lambda circuit for the stolen Cat, and the reason the CEL Lambda light is on the dash? Its the only thing that doesnt appear to be woring right.

I need to get it out and jacked up I think.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 07:50   #10
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britten_mark View Post
Nothing lights on the dash when AC switched to "ON", but the compressor is on the other side of the engine?
There's your problem...the circuit has been broken since fitting the new rad.

Remove the air inlet ducting going to the air filter housing, it just pops off with a little persuasion, and you'll be able to see the harness tied to the fan shroud, which then goes to the relays under the slam panel and then on to the various components.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post: