Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poly suspension arm bushes

Views : 617

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2023, 16:38   #1
dazbooker

Default Poly suspension arm bushes

Has anyone fitted the polyurethane bushes to the later style volvo 850 front suspension arms
dazbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 21:45   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Yes, I did, works quite well and lasts well too. However, the polybush material appears VERY similar to that used in the Meyle brand arms supplied by PFV online (heavy duty option) so when the other arm went I just replaced with a Meyle item, mush easier than faffing with individual bush inserts.

The suspension arms take quite a beating on these cars with all the weight plus our terrible roads, so IMHO if/when replacing suspension arms I'd never bother with the standard quality (cheaper) rubber bushed items, I found they just don't last, and it's cheaper in the long run to go with the heavy duty Meyle item, my replacements have been on for years now and still good as new.

HTH
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 22:32   #3
dazbooker

I've recently replaced with the meyle Arms but one of the bushes has gone again
I'm thinking to replace with poly to avoid the Bush wear
Also Im running the lowered suspension and 8 pot k sport calipers which cab also put strain on the bushes
So replacing with poly may cure this
What's your tboughts
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 22:47   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I'm surprised that a Meyle arm failed, even with those mods.

One thing to note (and I speak from experience....) when doing up the bog bolts that go through the pivot bushes, you MUST tighten them with a full load on the suspension, so it's in the position it will be at rest when taking the weight of the car, i.e. NOT with the arm hanging down in its lowest position. If you tighten them with the arm fully dropped, then when there's weight on the car the bushes are twisted when the suspension raises as it takes the car's weight. Then, when you go over bumps and the suspension is forced to its upper limit, the bushes are twisted even more, which (as I found out) is enough to cause them to break up. I found out the hard way with a cheap "rubber bush" arm, which meant it only lasted a few hundred miles.

You may know this and have done it correctly, but if you didn't then I'd say that was the reason for the fail, rather than bush quality or material. If you did it wrong, then make sure you correct it on both sides, as if one has gone then the other might not be far behind!

Depending on whether the above issue applies, you may or may not be better off with Polybushes - they're fine, just a bit more hassle. Hope that helps?
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 22:57   #5
dazbooker

Thanks for the reply
I did do the bushes as you've said but the condition of our roads dont help
When you fit the poly bushes are the powereflex ones the best and if so are they the black ones or the purple ones you used