Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing rear headrest, how?

Views : 4264

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:40   #1
joakim.jonsson

Hi,

Is there anyone that knows how to remove the rear headrest (not the middle one), I need to take one of to be able to fit a childseat.
I struggled yesterday four 2 hours without figuring it out, the car is a 855 2.5 -1996.
Please help, I'm desperat because my kid is angry with me because he refuses to use the old seat now when we bought a new one.

Regards
Joakim Jonsson
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 16:22   #2
mraldonnelly

I'm afraid I don't know how to remove the headrests (I've tried and failed myself) but have you considered fitting the child seat in the centre of the rear seat? OK, so it's a bit more difficult getting a kid in and out but it's safer (they're further from impact in a side collision - I know we drive Volvo's but it still must be safer).

Also, my daughter loves it. She's high enough up to be able to see out the fron window and she can still see out of the sides.

What child seat is it by the way that requires the removal of the head restraints?

Andy
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 20:41   #3
joakim.jonsson

Hi Andy,

The child seat is a Maxi-Cosi Rodi (http://www.maxi-cosi.nl/html/en/640.html). My son usually get muddy, wild outdoor kid, and I don't want to bring him further in to the car.
I will continue the search for the instructions.
What's really annoing is that when I bought the car I ordered a complete set (5kg) of Volvo original service manuals for the 855-1996. The only one they could not deliver was the one for interior.

//Joakim
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 08:36   #4
Rhod_TT

What is a complete set of original service manuals? Have they got part numbers that so I can get them from my local dealer? How much were they?

Cheers

Rhod
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:48   #5
mraldonnelly

I have a Mitchell service and repair manual for Volvo models between '83 - '02. It's not as comprehensive as a Haynes Manual but does provide some useful information. It also covers some other vehicles too. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the interior.

However, if you'd like a copy let me know where to send it to.

I'm not going to be able to accomodate millions of requests because I have to buy blank discs and take the time to copy them (I guess that's illegal isn't it (what if I just make a backup for my own use and then send the original?) but let me know asap and I'll arrange.

Andy
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 11:09   #6
mraldonnelly

Ah, I have the Maxi-Cosi Priory XP. I guess my daughter is a lot younger than your boy. I can see why you need to remove the headrest now.

One of the reasons I bought the Proiry XP is because it came out as the best buy in the Which? guide for the age group. Strangely though they didn't test the Rodi for the higher age group. I guess they wanted to test a wide range of manufacturers. Maxi-Cosi are pretty good at side protection and ease of fitting. It's amazing the number of manufacturers who fail to provide decent side protection and who make it really complicated to fit their seats thus risking improper fitting which could be disasterous in a crash. Surprisingly, Mothercare seem to be one of the worst in tests!.

Unfortunately all manufacturers fall short in the front impact tests because forward facing seats don't protect the neck in a front end collision. I have not seen a rear facing seat for kids over 9 months old so we have to put up with forward facing ones. In some countries it is illegal to have a child under three facing forwards.

I think Maxi-Cosi are the best in this respect.

I'm going to look into removing the headrest tonight as my own personal little challenge. It must come off some how. I'll let you know how I get on.

Andy
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 14:58   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default RE: Removing rear headrest, how?

Just a thought, but have you tried to unzip the the back seat trim and look at the fixing of the headrest underneath?

Just a thought.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 12:57   #8
joakim.jonsson

Philip Fisher: I "tried" but I could not reach the unzipper, looks like it is recommended to remove the entire seat before unzipping.

Andy: My kid just loves that seat. I'm looking forward to your results, for me it's now a prestige challange to get that headrest off. During the week I talked to different Volvo mechanics here in Gothenburg (the city of volvo) and no one knows how to do it. Everyone just says that they know it's tricky but haven't done it themself.

Rhod: The manuals I got is in Swedish and I got them from Volvo Cars. It's the manuals for certified Volvo dealers.

Just before posting this I got a phone call :P from Volvo Cars and they told me that Service Manual Part 8, page 79 handels this issue. "two 10mm holes located 100mm down from top of seat and 75mm & 255mm from the side of the seat. Press thin and charp object thru the textile into the holes to release headrests". I have to try this when I get home, I think my luggage net holder is in the way for these holes and I will end up removing that one to ;(.

//Joakim
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 11:29   #9
joakim.jonsson

[h2]The headrest is now removed![/h2]

The procedure is as follows:
[OL]
[li]Fold backseat forward[/a]
[li]Locate the two torx-screws on the side of the seat, facing left for the right seat and vice versa.
[li]Unscrew the torx-screw
[li]Locate the saftynet plastic cover (lid and the part that covers a bit of the rear of the seat textile)
[li]Locate the clips for the plastic cover by sliding in a knife between the cover and the textile. Clips are about 1.5cm up.
[li]Release clips using a large flat (2cm wide at least) object that you place next to the clip and then bend outward. (If too small the plastic will crack)
[li]Remove the plastic cover
[li]Exactly 10cm below top of seat and in line with the headrest metal bars is two 10mm holes (75mm and 255mm from the side of the seat if measured at the narrowest part, far down, of the seat). Measured from the edge of the plastic cover it's 15mm up.
[li]Release one headrest bar at the time by pressing a the clip in the hole and in the same time pulling the headrest upwards.
[li]Put everything together again.
[/OL]

Finally I'd like to thank everyone for the support and ideas.

Regards
Joakim Jonsson

[b][FONT COLOR="red"]Volvo 855-2.5 station 1996 (now with childseat)
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:53   #10
karen cleaver

>Hi,
>
>Is there anyone that knows how to remove the rear headrest
>(not the middle one), I need to take one of to be able to fit
>a childseat.
>I struggled yesterday four 2 hours without figuring it out,
>the car is a 855 2.5 -1996.
>Please help, I'm desperat because my kid is angry with me
>because he refuses to use the old seat now when we bought a
>new one.