Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering noise

Views : 849

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 16:39   #1
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Exclamation Steering noise

Evening all.
Its the first gripe I have with my new C70 T5!
I've checked the power steering fluid and there's loads. Its full, but when I turn the steering wheel, it makes a kind of a whirring noise, almost like the rack is rubbing on something. Its not a loud noise.
Any ideas what this could be and how do I get rid.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 17:36   #2
tarmacsurfer
Monkey

What colour is the fluid? It should be a nice red colour, not brown. I assume you have the whirring noise when turning the wheel all the time? Not just at the lock stops...
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 18:06   #3
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacsurfer View Post
What colour is the fluid? It should be a nice red colour, not brown. I assume you have the whirring noise when turning the wheel all the time? Not just at the lock stops...
You assume correctly mate. Its when turning the wheel. It doesn't make a noise on full lock.
I did look at the oil briefly, and it was more brown than red.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 18:46   #4
tarmacsurfer
Monkey

Check for leaks on the rack and I would change the fluid too.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 19:07   #5
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Quote:
Check for leaks on the rack and I would change the fluid too.
How would I check the rack for leaks? Whereabouts would I look and would it be obvious?
Thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 19:55   #6
tarmacsurfer
Monkey

Check around the gaitors on each side leading to the tracking arms and at the point where the steering from inside the car joins the rack (mine leaks there) I have fitted a Magnefine filter inline with the power steering fluid reservoir. See here for info http://www.magnefine.com/ helps a lot and has reduced the fluid loss to a minimum. I emptied the reservoir using a pump top from a soap dispenser (clean it out properly obviously). Refill and work the steering slowly from from side to side to release trapped air. check the level again and work it again. Check again and bob such be your uncle...
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 19:59   #7
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Quote:
Check around the gaitors on each side leading to the tracking arms and at the point where the steering from inside the car joins the rack (mine leaks there) I have fitted a Magnefine filter inline with the power steering fluid reservoir. See here for info http://www.magnefine.com/ helps a lot and has reduced the fluid loss to a minimum. I emptied the reservoir using a pump top from a soap dispenser (clean it out properly obviously). Refill and work the steering slowly from from side to side to release trapped air. check the level again and work it again. Check again and bob such be your uncle...
Brilliant. Thanks for the info mate.