Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2.4 D4 AWD weird engine noise

Views : 2306

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 21:49   #1
Sevsevbar

Default XC60 2.4 D4 AWD weird engine noise

Hi Guys 👋

My first post in here, so please be nice!

I’ve had a search through here and the diesel engine threads, but can’t find anything like what I’m looking for.

Long story short, my 2015 XC60 with 2.4 D4 engine is making a weird noise while under load/heavy acceleration.. but only in 4th gear upwards, and only between about 1300 and 2000 rpm.

The noise starts out as you hear the turbo start to spool at about 1300rpm or so (you can hear the high pitched spin of the turbo starting) and then a whiney/squeely/almost-rattly-but-not noise overpowers this up until about 2000 rpm when the noise dies away to nothing and the sound of the V5 and turbo dominate (much to my amusement..).. also, as the turbo obviously doesn’t kick in properly until about the time this noise stops, the car does vibrate the smallest amount (being a diesel, I attribute the vibration to just that, as tractor engines are known to chug aren’t they!) so I don’t know if it’s just a really rapid rattle..?

Equally, if I accelerate steadily the noise isn’t there.. you can still hear the turbo wanting to spool up, but no other high pitched noises.

It’s almost a similar noise to what you get in an older car on start up, when a belt is slipping and you get that squeal as the car is rev’d for a little while.

What is throwing me off is that I haven’t heard this noise in 3rd gear or below.. only 4th and above (maybe because the revs jump up to 2000 rpm so much quicker??).

Could be a belt that’s lost it’s proper tension? But would it stop making noise above a certain rpm of that was the case, and would it only be in higher gears?

I’d offer turbo bearings as a possibility, but again, it’s only in higher gears (longer spool time because of bigger gears higher up gear box so issue/sound becomes prevalent maybe?).. and as said, if taking it steady you can still hear the turbo wanting to spool up, and if you boot it above 2000 rpm there’s no nasty noise, just boost and engine noise!

Not had chance to check all fluid levels yet incase something is running low so can’t rule that out.. but does anyone have similar past experience? If so, what was involved!

Car doesn’t feel lumpy, plenty of power, no warning lights, no codes etc.. just a really annoying noise!

Thanks in advance guys.. and sorry for the really long bedtime story I’ve just written

Last edited by Sevsevbar; Nov 22nd, 2019 at 22:02.
Sevsevbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 13:01   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

How many miles has it done?
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 13:16   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevsevbar View Post
Hi Guys 👋

My first post in here, so please be nice!

I’ve had a search through here and the diesel engine threads, but can’t find anything like what I’m looking for.

Long story short, my 2015 XC60 with 2.4 D4 engine is making a weird noise while under load/heavy acceleration.. but only in 4th gear upwards, and only between about 1300 and 2000 rpm.

The noise starts out as you hear the turbo start to spool at about 1300rpm or so (you can hear the high pitched spin of the turbo starting) and then a whiney/squeely/almost-rattly-but-not noise overpowers this up until about 2000 rpm when the noise dies away to nothing and the sound of the V5 and turbo dominate (much to my amusement..).. also, as the turbo obviously doesn’t kick in properly until about the time this noise stops, the car does vibrate the smallest amount (being a diesel, I attribute the vibration to just that, as tractor engines are known to chug aren’t they!) so I don’t know if it’s just a really rapid rattle..?

Equally, if I accelerate steadily the noise isn’t there.. you can still hear the turbo wanting to spool up, but no other high pitched noises.

It’s almost a similar noise to what you get in an older car on start up, when a belt is slipping and you get that squeal as the car is rev’d for a little while.

What is throwing me off is that I haven’t heard this noise in 3rd gear or below.. only 4th and above (maybe because the revs jump up to 2000 rpm so much quicker??).

Could be a belt that’s lost it’s proper tension? But would it stop making noise above a certain rpm of that was the case, and would it only be in higher gears?

I’d offer turbo bearings as a possibility, but again, it’s only in higher gears (longer spool time because of bigger gears higher up gear box so issue/sound becomes prevalent maybe?).. and as said, if taking it steady you can still hear the turbo wanting to spool up, and if you boot it above 2000 rpm there’s no nasty noise, just boost and engine noise!

Not had chance to check all fluid levels yet incase something is running low so can’t rule that out.. but does anyone have similar past experience? If so, what was involved!

Car doesn’t feel lumpy, plenty of power, no warning lights, no codes etc.. just a really annoying noise!

Thanks in advance guys.. and sorry for the really long bedtime story I’ve just written
Have you got two turbochargers ?
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 17:24   #4
Sevsevbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
How many miles has it done?
Just over 60k miles on the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Have you got two turbochargers ?
No, it’s the D4, so just a single turbocharger.

Edit: I may stand corrected.. I’m hearing contradictory info on whether it’s twin turbo or single (as it’s the AWD).. I was sure it was single, as I thought the D5 was twin.. but I’m guna have to look under the bonnet tomorrow!

I’m feeling more and more that it’s something to do with the turbo.. whether that be something that’s come loose, or a gasket at a joint (eg. manifold) that’s going/gone.. or worse. Or does anyone know if the EGR valve only opens between certain rev ranges? Perhaps a sticky EGR if that’s the case?

Hundred and one things it could be though I guess..

Last edited by Sevsevbar; Nov 23rd, 2019 at 18:23.
Sevsevbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 18:14   #5
The Thong
VOC Member

I’m thinking along the lines of a gummed up PCV that make a whistling sound. I’d be popping it into Volvo personally
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 15:48   #6
Jerry1975

Cool

Not sure what the issue is but it would be worth checking for any error codes as soon as possible to give you some pointers.

As a starting point I'd be tempted to ensure that the EGR and intake isn't completely gunked up with diesel sludge and then go from there.

If that is the case and you take it to Volvo they will probably charge you a fortune for replacement parts, so personally I'd take it to an independent garage who will just strip it down and clean it all up for minimal cost.

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote