Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knackered clutch and snotty dealers!!!!

Views : 1114

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:50   #1
mark2jag

Default Knackered clutch and snotty dealers!!!!

Right people. If any of you have been keeping track of my posts you will be able to tell im not having much luck with my bl**dy S40 diesel 1.6 SE.(06 plate)

Clutch is kippered with exactly 12500 miles on it. It slips, a lot!!!!

Volvo tell me IF the dealers say its wear and tear then im f***ed, as I dont have the money to fix it myself. Dealers where i bought it from dont wanna know either,(Kings Winchester) they say its the chance you gotta take by buying a demonstrator (even though i had to delay collection due to them having to repaint it, as a previous "Customer" had smashed it into a post requiring new door/repainting, and while he was at it he had a damn good go at seeing how much damage he could inflict on kerbside alloys too.

I'd like to know how I stand from someone who knows what they are on about,and if all else fails, someone who can help me put a webpage together to highlight Volvo, and the dealers sh*tty attitude. If all else fails i intend to go to Volvo HQ, with the biggest banner I can find, and try and get some press interest (setting fire to the flaming thing outside their HQ might just do the trick, whaddya reckon ,lol)
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 09:39   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Dealers..!!! Don't you just love them??!!!

Ok... What is the usual/expected life for a clutch unit?
12000 miles?
20000 milies?
60000 miles?
What can be reasonably expected.???

How long ago did you aquire the car? Still in warranty from the dealer?
Is the car fit for purpose? Does it go?
These questions you have to answer.
Responses from the dealer on this issue should be noted and kept on file.
Contact Trading Standards as you have ben sold a "kipper" as you say and the dealers are washing their hands of the issue.

You can write a letter to the MD for the dealership, explaining that you have issue which his dealership are failing to answer.
That no one in their right mind would expect a clutch to last this short a time.
That despite your being nice in your dealings you have not being dealt with with the respect and consideration you thing you should be receiving..
And that you want the issue resolved in the next 7-14 days as the car is becoming un drivable in the condition it is in.

Include this letter to the Trading Standards. Make sure your letter has both addresses on it so the MD knows this...
Send recorded or registered post.

Lets see what fireworks you get.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 14:08   #3
Marmoset

That's a pretty short life for a cluthc regardsless of how it's driven - it would take some seriously concerted bad driving efforts to fry it and I doubt the majority of test drivers are that inept - sems to indicate a probelm with the clutch that existed from the factory. I've never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars but they do a lot of motorway miles.

I do get the impression that dealers are encouraged to dismiss warranty work, almost as if they are incentivised to not give any.

Hope you have some luck getting this sorted - I'd suggest the OFT and the MD of the dealers if you don;t have any satisfaction - followed by Volvo UK. Don't go down the website route yet - it'll only lessen any goodwill if that's to come.

Rich
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 20:15   #4
ali.b

Maybe you want to look at Volvo's uk web site. Look at their mission statement about quality. Then ask the question is 12000 miles what you would expect from a quality piece of engineering. I would expect nothing short of 50k from a clutch.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 15:41   #5
mark2jag

Default 1 sparkly new clutch later, at no cost to me!!!!!

Clutch replaced at no cost to me only AFTER i told them about my plans to get a megaphone and a f*****g BIG banner and stand outside their HQ hurling insults (Thats not politically correct, and should read loudly appraisng passers by of Volvo's current quality control methods!!!!), BUT why in 3rd gear do revs seem to rise disproportionately to road speed, been told that they geared the car low, as its gutless!. Another bug bear is that the clutch bite point is almost but not quite, at the top of the clutch pedals travel. Is this adjustable, or not (been told not as its hydraulic. Dont believe them though. Bite point on the clutch is EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE THEY INSTALLED THE NEW CLUTCH, SO HAVE THEY JUST CLEANED IT UP AND STUCK IT BACK IN???? They say they have fitted a new clutch but I frankly do not believe them.... (why wont they show me the old one, which they say they have sent off to VOLVO, already)
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 15:54   #6
alsner
In Volvo limbo

The woes of dealing with dealers, I sympathise.

12500 for a clutch is a joke and to say that it is a wear and tear item so they won't touch is a bigger joke. You should send them a joker of the year award

Get it in writing that they have replaced the clutch and get it recorded on the service history computer database. If it goes again in another really short time you'll have some more ammunition to throw at them, also if you need to take further action in the future on a legal front evidence in writing is better. I'm afraid its time to start logging all dealings with them, you never know when you might need it..

ALi
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 13:11   #7
the zacster
the zacster

Mark2Jag - sorry to hear about your troubles. Can't say I'm surprised, though; I bought a 2nd-hand 2003 V70 D5 from Kings Winchester 6 months ago and have found their service to be appalling - they 'forgot' to supply me with a second keyfob when they delivered the car and I am STILL chasing them for the second key - they just refuse to respond to calls/emails etc. (and Volvo UK in Marlow are pretty useless, saying its a dealer issue). Kings clearly can't be bothered supporting customers once an initial sale is made ... unless, of course, you want to pay them big bucks for something...
the zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 13:24   #8
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsner View Post
The woes of dealing with dealers, I sympathise.
ALi
Yep. Been there done that with my new civic type r which i had numerous problems with. Threatening to go to stading standards seemed to motivate them a bit, but i learned a lot from buying a newish car - the important one being i'll never do it again.

I know a lot of people are judged by what car they drive, and whether its new or old, but im happier now than ive ever been with a car.

Not having to deal with the dealers + self servicing is a 100% bonus imo

Last edited by James_N; Dec 8th, 2006 at 13:28.
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote