Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel consumption issue,300 mile tank range

Views : 1464

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:33   #1
mark2jag

Exclamation Fuel consumption issue,300 mile tank range

Firstly, let me say that this is in the WRONG message prefix, but there is no category for 1.6 engine (diesel too).
Problem: assuming 10 gallon tank capacity, then im getting 30 M.P.G, from my 06 reg volvo s40 1.6 SE. It is fair to say that it does spend some time in traffic,but probably less than a quarter of its running time. You dont expect fuel economy like this from a diesel, and im seriously, seriously p*ssed off, especially after reading the OFFICIAL fuel economy figures Volvo are lying (ERR SORRY I MEANT ADVERTISING!!) about.

I'm really, genuinely surpised at such a low figure, and if its not too much trouble, would anyone else with the same car mail me to sort out some similar fuel consumption tests (Full to empty) Hell, I'd be so glad of the cooperation I'd even pay you to do it,lol.

Here endeth the lesson, but to recap ,any comments or people with the 1.6 diesel, I would be happy to hear from you, all (or am i the sole muppet to buy a 1.6 diesel on this site, or probably any other, the world, or anywhere else

Thank you one and or all depending on how many people read this post.

Mark
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 00:17   #2
mark2jag

Default further information regarding sh*tty fuel consumption..

Right then, this gets interesting from here on in. After 3 full tanks of fuel, the best im getting from my car is now at 38.1 MPG, and the worst was 35.9. Had i known better and not believed Volvo's fuel consumption figures posted on its website, I'd now not be a Volvo owner but would probably still be in my 05 VW Golf TDI (Wish I'd never sold it now!!!!!!!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 00:23   #3
leeS80D5

something wrong there Mark, i'm getting around 44 mpg out of a diesel D5 S80!! get it back to the dealer!!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 00:49   #4
Giustino d'Aosta

Well this is interesting.

Assuming I have read your post correctly then you have a 1.6 SE (Petrol)..
I picked up my '06 1.6SE from the dealer yesterday and have run nearly two tanks of petrol (normal unleaded) through it, filling up at 280 miles, at an average of 27.5 mpg.

This has been a mixture of fast A/B roads and motorway cruising, say 85-90mph.

I must say I don't pay for my fuel, so probably don't drive in the most parsimonious of ways. I think the S40 is quite hefty for the 1.6 to lug around, so can't say I'm surprised at the fuel returns. Sadly, I don't think that there are many manufacturers' whose cars get what the adverts say they will - see the evo fuel consumption reports on almost every long-termer they've had.

I keep pretty regular fuel/mileage records so would be happy to keep you posted as to what I am getting.

Regards,
Giustino.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:25   #5
mark2jag

Default Sorry To Burst Your Bubble, But No Its A Diesel

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my 1.6 is in fact a DIESEL. I'm informed by the service manager at lancaster Volvo, now rebranded as Squire Furneaux Guildford, that if he were getting 38 MPG from a 1.6 diesel of my age, and mileage he'd be happy (LOW MILEAGE< GOOD CONDITION AND NEW).

I really need some help on this, how do i go about proving that this is infact not a GOOD THING but in fact a very BAD THING, and I do not rule out the possibility of legal action, via trading standards, or just placing my info on www.volvosucks.com. or somewhere high profile, such as on the raised grass bank outside their Head office via a large banner and megaphone......
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:30   #6
7050man
Master Member

I don't think that you are ever going to get much more than the figures you quote.
If you are spending 25% of your time in traffic, then to get anywhere near the official figures(which as everyone here will probably agree are always optimistic), you will have to drive under perfect conditions, with you as the driver being extremely light footed (acceleration and braking), anticipating road conditions - hills, traffic lights, junctions, other road users etc; and that assumes that your car is perfectly maintained and working as well as it can (tyres, fuel, load and engine run in(20k miles on the clock as a minimum)with no faults).

If you sit in traffic for any time, use the car for short trips, and don't drive so much on motorways, then I think the figures you are getting are to be expected.

Finally, if you drive on the motorway at 70mph, this does not equate to "extra urban" driving so don't think you will get the quoted figure. Also you will burn about 30% more fuel than if you drive at 50mph.

If, after taking this into account you still can't achieve at least reasonable economy, then get the dealer to check it out.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 21:42   #7
gnhuk
Balding.............

Diesels usually take something around 10k miles to loosen up - a fact which the manufacturers don't tell you, so I wouldn't expect a new engine to give wonderful numbers. The advertised mpg figures are done on a rolling road IIRC to some formulae which bear very little relation to what happens in the real world.... A 1.6d is a bit small to lug around an S40. What size is the tank? The classic petrol models have a 60l (13 gallon) tank so 10 gallons sounds very small.
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 19:43   #8
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhuk View Post
Diesels usually take something around 10k miles to loosen up - a fact which the manufacturers don't tell you, so I wouldn't expect a new engine to give wonderful numbers. The advertised mpg figures are done on a rolling road IIRC to some formulae which bear very little relation to what happens in the real world.... A 1.6d is a bit small to lug around an S40. What size is the tank? The classic petrol models have a 60l (13 gallon) tank so 10 gallons sounds very small.
All cars take at least 10k to loosen up as they are built to extremely high tolerances, not just diesels.
So yes, run in gently for at least 3k (even though the book says just 500 miles) but don't expect anywhere near manufactures figures for at least 10k but probably nearer 20k.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 21:01   #9
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default Mpg

Just out of interest, I am averaging just over 47MPG on my S40 2.0D with a blend of all conditions.
That also goes for last week in the Worcester/Stourport/Bromsgrove area, crawling in traffic up the A449 etc in the mornings, and quite a bit of congected urban motoring, plus the motorway journey there and back at just under 80 on the M6/A14/A11 where ever possible.
On all motorway/ fast dual carriageway journeys, say Norwich to Newcastle, 300 miles each way, I can get the real consumption to about 52mpg (56 to 57 on the computer!), thats doing Norwich to Newcastle in 4.35 to 4.5 hours, so not hanging about.
I would be very seriously hissed off at under 45mpg!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 23:56   #10
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Question DPF to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeS80D5 View Post
something wrong there Mark, i'm getting around 44 mpg out of a diesel D5 S80!! get it back to the dealer!!
Very good Lee, correct me if I am wrong but from your model year I do not think you will have the disadvantage of a regenerating particulate filter inflicted on you? Others will have a reduction in mpg of nominally 5 mpg doing their bit for the environment.