Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate switch failed

Views : 428

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2023, 00:48   #1
Lorribot

Post Tailgate switch failed

Tailgate switch failed on manual hatch.
I finally fixed this.
I was loath to spend £150 on a replacement housing and was initially looking at trying to replace the switch but it is not removable without some major destruction.

The micro switch has a known problem, there is some grease that stops the switch from making a connection, this needs to be cleaned.

To open the hatch you need to climb in the back and pierce a hole in the plastic lock cover. The point is on the right side as you look at it, if you go in around 1cm from the edge and as low as the locked tailgate will allow you should be in the right area., there is a weak point. once done you can use a small screw driver to trip the latch. Look on YouTube for Videos, the lock is the same as on all Volvos of this era, the video I followed was on a V70.

Now you can remove all the trim and access the nuts holding the switch in place.

You can test if it a switch or lock actuator issue by shorting the green and blue leads on the plug that connects to the Switch/Light housing (note the wires are black but the pins in the connector are coloured and you can trace the wires on the housing), the lock should unlock, if it doesn't it might be the lock actuator.

Once you have removed the Switch/Light housing you will need to remove the outside cover for the switch.
You will now see the problematic microswitch.
there is an orange rubber boot over the switch bit that needs to be removed, this will be destroyed and cant go back.
Once this is removed you will need to pour/inject some cleaning fluid in the switch to clear the grease that is causing the switch to fail.
I used 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a syringe I had from when I used to refill inkjet cartridges. WD40 may work just as well.
Test the switch and reassemble everything.

Note, have strong magnet to hand in case you drop one of the nuts inside the body work as it is a bit fiddly and it is easy to drop one.
Some people report that this fix may only work for a week or two I will have to see, for now the switch works faultlessly.
If you have a manual tailgate the switch on the dash and on the key fob just allow you to open the boot when the car is locked, they do not actually unlock the boot, which is a little annoying.

It may be possible to do all this with out removing the housing, remove the switch cover and the rubber boot and spray WD40 or a solvent in to the microswitch, worth a shot before going the whole hog, I will certainly try it if it starts to fail again.

Last edited by Lorribot; Jul 16th, 2023 at 00:56. Reason: added more detail
Lorribot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorribot For This Useful Post:

Tags
switch, tailgate, xc60