Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[HELP!] Electric Seat Stuck!

Views : 644

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2018, 10:55   #1
Kayleighjayne91

Unhappy [HELP!] Electric Seat Stuck!

Hi everybody!

So I’m new to the forum, I got my baby (2006 C70 Convertible) in May, I LOVR it. I upgraded from a MK5 Astra 1.6SXI (it was my first car, please don’t laugh too much!) and can finally show my face at work without feeling I have to explain myself haha!

Anyway, I love my car, but as with any used car it’s got its niggles... one of which is causing me some REAL difficulty!

About 3 weeks ago I had something on my passenger seat and it rolled off and went underneath, to avoid catching any cables I moved the seat back, retrieved the item and went to move the seat forward. Not a chance! So at present I have my passenger seat about 4 inches from my rear seat, and a toddler who isn’t best pleased about his sudden lack of leg space!

So... the motor still works, there’s DEFINITELY still power going to the seat and it moves all the way back and about 2 inches forward, but then stops (so I know I’m pressing the right button because it does move somewhat). It reclines/inclines. The base of the seat moves up and down as it should, everything operates smoothly and there doesn’t sound like there’s any issues. I’ve looked under the seat and there aren’t any items lodged under the seat, I’ve looked at the track the seat is on and can’t see anything stuck... it genuinely sounds as if the seat THINKS it has reached the furthest position because it just stops.

I tried posting on the Facebook group to see if anybody could suggest anything and was advised to lower the seat as much as possible and then try, Nothing. To sit on the seat so it registers weight and then try, Nothing.

I’m getting pretty desperate and hoping it’s not going to be a hefty auto electrician bill, so any input or suggestions would be gratefully received!!
Kayleighjayne91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 13:44   #2
Spike56
Master Member

Do you have "memory seats" ie seats with an M and numbers 1, 2 & 3? If so have you tried pressing the buttons to see whether the settings are "in"?

If not memory, I assume you have the up and down, forward and backward controls. Could there be something else caught up in the track? That would certainly stop the movement.

Unless there is some kind of stop point (electric switch?) that controls movement which might have shifted somehow.....

Not much help but somewhere to begin, perhaps.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 14:42   #3
Kayleighjayne91

I do have the memory seats, the third setting works as this just happened to be somewhere in the distance that currently works (from the previous owner) but the other 2 settings that I had set which are further forward do nothing at all to move the seat. 😔

I’ve checked the track and can’t see anything at all... 🤷*♀️ Totally baffled at the moment!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kayleighjayne91 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 16:49   #4
Spike56
Master Member

Never looked but is there some kind of winding device attached to the drive system? Or is that too simple for Volvo's? It would help if there was an external point 'just in case'.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 20:14   #5
Kayleighjayne91

I haven’t seen anything, my other half spent a good hour looking this morning and couldn’t find anything either. 😩

That would be immense. I’m now at a point where I actually don’t care if it gets stuck forward temporarily, so long as I can move the back of the seat forwards and backwards, just so that my little one has some leg room 😔🙈
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 22:21   #6
Spike56
Master Member

Had a quick look at mine and it doesn't look good. The motor sits in the middle and drives the seat by winding along the thread (?) on either side. There does look like a very small socket on the centre of the motor but I could not tell if it was a socket, allen key or torx or even just a small hole!

I am surprised no-one else has answered this as it must happen quite often?

Google says that some cars have a winder (see the hole thingy above?) and that the motor can be turned by using a suitable tool...….. It also says that if the seat has power and does move, even a little, then it is most likely that something really small is stuck in there and most probably at the point where the main bits of the drive sit and therefore are very hard to see.

None of which really helps. Sorry.

Good luck!

Last edited by Spike56; Jul 21st, 2018 at 22:31.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 22:47   #7
Spike56
Master Member

Ooh! Found this on youtube. It looks very similar to the fitting I have and may be the solution. Fingers crossed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFXmeAMTkc

Tags
electrical problem, seats