Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 timing belt procedure required?

Views : 21598

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2011, 21:38   #11
Telco

I'm with Clan with this one, I think people have been getting confused with the petrol. I'm sure I read someone had actually chiselled off a lug on the D5 so they didn't have to remove the pulley?? Why potentially FUBAR the whole engine for the sake doing a job properly ?
p.s 300NM is a heck of a torque!!
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 08:51   #12
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile What size nut for crank pulley?

Does anyone know what size the D5 crank nut is ? would be interesting to hear from others that have done a D5 cambelt change, and if you were able to do it without removing the pulley (not that im doubting clan !) are the diesel 163 and 185 engines identical in the cambelt area?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:28   #13
Brendan W
Premier Member

IIRC the quoted procedure for changing the belt without removing the pulley was to cut the old one because it's too stiff to wrangle out and then force the new pliable one in. Then I'd be sat there thinking what have I just done to my nice new belt that I expect to do a gazillion revolutions. I bottled it and took off the pulley but in the end had to go to my friendly indy because I was afraid I would bust something with that 300Nm and my amateur tools and that was after I bought the locking tool.
I changed the tbelt, tensioner and idler and the aux belt , idler pulley and tensioner assy complete ( overkill) and the alt clutch followed soon after. It looked and felt ok at the time but there was about 1mm axial play and it started cricket noises at about 96k
There were hundreds of shallow transverse cracks on the back of the belt , apart from that it looked in very good nick.

Last edited by Brendan W; Nov 9th, 2011 at 09:36.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 14:59   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
that is great , a guinea pig to test the theory , let us know how it goes ...
Ah but Clan, "Guinea Pig" implies that it has yet to be done and reading posts on here ( Lozza for one ) cleraly state that they have done a DIESEL belt without removing the pulley.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 18:32   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Does anyone know what size the D5 crank nut is ? would be interesting to hear from others that have done a D5 cambelt change, and if you were able to do it without removing the pulley (not that im doubting clan !) are the diesel 163 and 185 engines identical in the cambelt area?
the nut is 30mm AF and the belt is the same on both the 163 and 185 ,but there are aux belt and tensioner differences .
In general you never had to change the cam belt idler roller but now you have to change both the idler roller AND the tensioner itself .
also the aux belt's two plastic wheels ( one a tensioner and one an idler ) have to be changed , as these are the parts which can cause the cam belt to be dislodged if they fail .
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 19:12   #16
Mark H

I changed my belt last year.
The 30mm crank nut came off easily using a cheap electric impact wrench, with no need to counterhold the crank. I did buy the tool, but only needed it to torque the new nut to 300Nm, which wasn't that bad.
I had more trouble angle tightening the 4 smaller bolts.
Ended up with it in gear, and the wife on the brake pedal.

With the right tools a fairly straightforward job.

I still have the counterhold tool if anyone in N. Herts wants to borrow it.
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark H For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 17:54   #17
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Ways to stop the pulley turning

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post-

Thats very interesting, would be interested to see a pic of the holding tool if anyone is able to post one. So is the sequence to torque the 30mm nut up first and then remove the locking tool and fit the 4x new bolts and torque them up? Mr Haynes mentions a hole near the flywheel that a locking tool can be used in (looks like a stepped diameter rod) has anyone used this, im guessing it wouldnt be ok for the 300Nm pulley nut? but perhaps for the 4x smaller ones?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 18:47   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

The tool and torques ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9995433.jpg (107.2 KB, 130 views)
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 18:49   #19
Mark H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post-

Thats very interesting, would be interested to see a pic of the holding tool if anyone is able to post one. So is the sequence to torque the 30mm nut up first and then remove the locking tool and fit the 4x new bolts and torque them up? Mr Haynes mentions a hole near the flywheel that a locking tool can be used in (looks like a stepped diameter rod) has anyone used this, im guessing it wouldnt be ok for the 300Nm pulley nut? but perhaps for the 4x smaller ones?
If you were to use the tool to remove and install the crank nut, you would:-

Remove the 4 stretch bolts. Use them to attach the tool to the pulley, then rotate the crank, with the tool attached until the tool becomes wedged under the subframe. You can then remove the crank nut without turning the engine.

When installing, I used the old stretch bolts to hold the tool. Once I had torqued up the crank nut to 300Nm, I then removed the tool, old bolts and fitted new stretch bolts. Tightened them to 35Nm + 50 degrees. ( Car in gear, wife on brake pedal.)

Clan's photo shows the tool in operation, and his advice is sound. I wouldn't risk damaging the belt, trying to get it round the pulley. Its really not that hard with the right tools to do the job properly.

Last edited by Mark H; Nov 11th, 2011 at 18:51.
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark H For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 19:10   #20
Symes
Master Member

Smile

No need for a "guinea pig" Clan; I did mine a few thousand miles ago without removing the crank pulley, and no I wasn't confused... it really was a D5 (an EIII 163).

As I've stated before, the OLD belt wouldn't slide out (as does the petrol) so I used a pair of aviation tin snips to cut the belt, allowing removal from the 'front' of the engine (i.e. removal in the same plane as it normally runs).

The NEW belt is flexible enough, and has a slippery silicon coating to allow it to slide past the oil pressure relief valve allowing fitment in a similar motion to the petrol.

The only thing that you need to watch is that the belt and pulley teeth are disengaged when you pull the cut end of the belt out so that the crank pulley doesn't move.

It saves theextra step of removal of the crank pulley, leaving more time to enjoy a cuppa!
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post: