Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230 onto an M41 Gearbox

Views : 4216

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 16:38   #21
DJS

Interesting idea. I've just checked the CF ZF box out, and they are very small.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 23:08   #22
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

I think there is a Holden connection with this CF box?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 23:35   #23
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Not sure but maybe could have been in some Toranas as I think that's the same as the Vauxhall Viva?
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 00:53   #24
Rick269

I don't think our Bedfords here had the ZF 5 speed as most of ours had a Holden 202 red motor fitted with a 4 speed or auto.

The Torana's only ever had 4 speed box's, the Opel 4 speed which is very weak and the 'Aussie' 4 speed in 6 and v8 versions, which is strong but probably no stronger than a good M41 IMO. And of course, still no overdrive.

I'm investigating fitting a 5 speed steel case Celica box, the dellow bellhousing is the expensive bit, being $550 last time I checked with them. But the gearboxes are plentiful here and they are very strong. My brother had one years ago in his Holden ute behind a pretty hot 308 (5L) V8 and it took the power well. The Supra W58 will bolt up to a steel case Celica bellhousing too (Different bolt pattern though, not sure if the dellow BH has provisions for this) and they are about the strongest box you could bolt on, stronger even than a T5 I'd say.

DJS, I'd be really interested in one of your custom intake manifolds if you are going to be making a couple of them.

Last edited by Rick269; Jul 27th, 2013 at 01:24.
Rick269 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick269 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 07:21   #25
john h
VOC Member

I'm very interested in this turbo Amazons business... might even have to build one some day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick269 View Post
I think you may run into problems with the rear mounted distributor?
You can use a block-mounted 240 distributor instead. Also need to swap in the 240 auxilary shaft to drive it. That's what I did with my 245 turbo conversion

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...159425&page=38

Keep up the good work

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 09:59   #26
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick269 View Post
I don't think our Bedfords here had the ZF 5 speed as most of ours had a Holden 202 red motor fitted with a 4 speed or auto.

The Torana's only ever had 4 speed box's, the Opel 4 speed which is very weak and the 'Aussie' 4 speed in 6 and v8 versions, which is strong but probably no stronger than a good M41 IMO. And of course, still no overdrive.

I'm investigating fitting a 5 speed steel case Celica box, the dellow bellhousing is the expensive bit, being $550 last time I checked with them. But the gearboxes are plentiful here and they are very strong. My brother had one years ago in his Holden ute behind a pretty hot 308 (5L) V8 and it took the power well. The Supra W58 will bolt up to a steel case Celica bellhousing too (Different bolt pattern though, not sure if the dellow BH has provisions for this) and they are about the strongest box you could bolt on, stronger even than a T5 I'd say.

DJS, I'd be really interested in one of your custom intake manifolds if you are going to be making a couple of them.
I had a W58 but sold it, should have kept hold of it. Will see if there are any more about.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 13:17   #27
DJS

Hi John.

Thanks for the link and the dizzy info. You're doing a cracking job on the 240.

My Amazon now has a 240 axle, 17" steels and will soon have the turbo motor. It should be a fun car. I just need to decide which gearbox to use.

Cheers,

Darren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
I'm very interested in this turbo Amazons business... might even have to build one some day!

You can use a block-mounted 240 distributor instead. Also need to swap in the 240 auxilary shaft to drive it. That's what I did with my 245 turbo conversion

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...159425&page=38

Keep up the good work

John
The Following User Says Thank You to DJS For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 13:20   #28
DJS

I'll keep you posted about the manifold. I can't see any sensible way around it, so I might as well get on and make one. We've got a fair bit of water-jet etc in this area, so once the CAD is done, it's a case of getting the bits cut and fabricating it.

DJS, I'd be really interested in one of your custom intake manifolds if you are going to be making a couple of them.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 16:11   #29
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Anyone know if a M90 fits in a P1800e tunnel?
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 18:07   #30
DJS

I had a good look at it last night Mitch.

I think that it will with very minor mods if any.

The only issue is the release bearing lever. It will need some mods to work with a cable set up. There is also no speedo drive.