Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What’s it worth? 98 R 940 Celebration

Views : 1384

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2018, 22:26   #1
Faxo

Default What’s it worth? 98 R 940 Celebration

My father has decided to sell his 940, owned by him for 7 years, and before that by my Aunt since brand new

Bodywork wise it’s good no rust, no welding ever

It’s covered 163k, is totally standard 2.3 Turbo manual, and in the last 10k has had a clutch and the head gasket done

Depending on its value, it’ll come with 12months MOT

What sort of value does this have?

MODs, feel free to move this thread if not in the right place, I had a look as to where to put it it but couldn’t see anywhere!

Thanks
Faxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 22:43   #2
psl
Master Member

Pictures will aid your quest for a value. Being a manual will certainly be beneficial to your sale.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 00:07   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

When you do come to sell it, rather than asking about the value, this would be the place :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=176

Some more details would be helpful, LPT or HPT, colour, any extras such as 7 seat conversion, cloth or leather and colour of trim and so on.

Pictures as pointed out will definitely be helpful and just for the record, some people prefer automatics so the fact it's manual might encourage the drifting fraternity to buy it. Hopefully not if it's in as good condition as you suggest!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 08:13   #4
dan 244
Master Member

I would be interested in that depending on price and condition. I will pm you. Thanks Daniel
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 12:52   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Good afternoon, 'Faxo',

As 'psl' rightly points out, it is notoriously difficult to 'value' any car without more detailed information and, ideally, photographs.

I would say say your car could be worth anything from £500 upwards, depending on condition, specification, MOT status, etc.

You may care to read an article in last week's 'Classic Car Weekly covering the 940 and 960 ranges from 1990 to 1998.

I quote below the values stated in this article for your guidance:

Concours £3000 - 5000
Excellent £1650 - 2750
Useable £900 - 1650
Project £300 - 900

I will leave you to decide where your car sits within the range!

Kind regards, John.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 14:14   #6
dan 244
Master Member

Wow I would say they are all on the high side, I think the most I have seen a mint one that has actually sold to be around the £3000 mark, maybe someone will know different? There have been lots of nice usable ones for £500-900 recently, and some very nice ones for £900-1700, once they fall out of that bracket they take a while to sell if at all. Just my opinion, it’s what someone is willing to pay at the end of the day and how long you want to spend answering questions and showing people the car.

There are some real chancers around with high prices at the moment, I looked at a £3000+ car just by chance at the weekend, as I passed it for sale, it was a state! No water in the coolent bottle, scratches all over, the rubber seal for the boot lid at the bottom was ripped to shreads where stuff had been dragged in and out. There are some advertised at £5000, but they have been there for months.

So I think the only way you are going to know is think what you want, advertise it and see what interest you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good afternoon, 'Faxo',

As 'psl' rightly points out, it is notoriously difficult to 'value' any car without more detailed information and, ideally, photographs.

I would say say your car could be worth anything from £500 upwards, depending on condition, specification, MOT status, etc.

You may care to read an article in last week's 'Classic Car Weekly covering the 940 and 960 ranges from 1990 to 1998.

Concours £3000 - 5000
Excellent £1650 - 2750
Useable £900 - 1650
Project £300 - 900

Kind regards, John.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 14:19   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Good afternoon, 'Faxo',

Concours £3000 - 5000
Excellent £1650 - 2750
Useable £900 - 1650
Project £300 - 900

Kind regards, John.
Bloomin heck if that's right then I got a bargain!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 14:29   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
Wow I would say they are all on the high side, I think the most I have seen a mint one that has actually sold to be around the £3000 mark, maybe someone will know different? There have been lots of nice usable ones for £500-900 recently, and some very nice ones for £900-1700, once they fall out of that bracket they take a while to sell if at all. Just my opinion, it’s what someone is willing to pay at the end of the day and how long you want to spend answering questions and showing people the car.

There are some real chancers around with high prices at the moment, I looked at a £3000+ car just by chance at the weekend, as I passed it for sale, it was a state! No water in the coolent bottle, scratches all over, the rubber seal for the boot lid at the bottom was ripped to shreads where stuff had been dragged in and out. There are some advertised at £5000, but they have been there for months.

So I think the only way you are going to know is think what you want, advertise it and see what interest you get.
I tend to agree - i recently sold a car (non-Volvo) that was valued according to those sort of price guides at £3-5000 and indeed, about 2 or 3 years ago, i was offered £5000 for it in the street. When i sold it i got about half what i was expecting and i had priced it on the lower end of the "price guide figure" so as you say, it really is down to what people are willing to pay.

There will always be the chancers that put a ridiculously high price on a car that has problems as someone, somewhere is usually mug enough to look past those faults and buy it anyway. Sadly that actually drives the price down for the rest of us, people always want bargains so they nit-pick to hell and back again to get the price down.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 14:50   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I deliberately refrained from commenting on the figures, but do agree that they seem to be on the high side.

Nonetheless, the strapline to the piece read 'It'll never be this cheap again! Buy a Volvo 900 before prices rise.'.

Regards. John.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 14:55   #10
dan 244
Master Member

Yes I agree they are only going up! I bought several 240s that I still have, most of them for £250 - £400 10 years ago, the £250 is a mint 244dl 1980 done 40000miles. Probably £3000-£4000 now! I bought one for £52 on eBay!

Quote:
I deliberately refrained from commenting on the figures, but do agree that they seem to be on the high side.

Nonetheless, the strapline to the piece read 'It'll never be this cheap again! Buy a Volvo 900 before prices rise.'.

Regards. John.