Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking Sensor Volume

Views : 3037

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 14:24   #1
PeterMu

Default Parking Sensor Volume

I'd like to lower the volume of the warning beeps for the front and rear parking proximity sensors.

It's a MY2012 XC90 and (obviously) the volume of the beeps cannot be controlled using the volume knob of the radio/audio system.

During my last service appointement I asked the local (Paris) Volvo dealer/garage about it and they said it was impossible to modify. I have a hard time believing this as I 've seen people complain about the beeping being too quiet on other forums. In my case, it's agressively loud.
PeterMu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 22:34   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Volvo provide no capability whatsoever of altering the sound level of the beeps.
Neither for the user nor for the garage.

The sound level is fixed.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 13:31   #3
PeterMu

Thanks Swiss.
In fact they offer the extreme alternative of turning the whole system off with a switch - but this option must be used each time one turns the car on.

It's a shame really. If I park anywhere (in the city or a parking lot), as soon as I put the car in gear (reverse or drive) I either hear the front or back sensor screaming at me - whicherver car or wall is closer. It's a pretty disconcerting way to start a drive EVERY time. So, the routine has become:
1. Sit in driver's seat.
2. Turn the key in the ignition.
3. Turn off the sensors.
4 Put the car in gear and go...

Once again, what surprises me is that I've seen others complain that they cannot hear the beeps. So it would seem that the sound level is not set at the same level for all model years or variants or end markets.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 11:03   #4
Moose Test
Master Member

5. Forget to turn sensors back on
6. Smack into something the next time you front in, as you're expecting the beep

:-)
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 13:14   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Come on chaps - the guy's from France. This is what they do....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51OdFlOi1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6MqsBombA

Why would he need buzzers to tell him he's parking correctly???
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 16:15   #6
PeterMu

Funny. I've seen these "parking" videos before.

I'm originally from the US, so I guess I have some innate respect for individual property rights and I don't use the bump techniques the Parisians have so "gracefully" mastered.
Most of the vehicles in the neighborhood wouldn't hold up well against bumps from an XC90 anyway.

I prefer to be a gentle giant and would have loved to for the beeps to be gentle too.

In the meantime, I've been eyeing 360 systems like this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/2017-...OrigTitle=true

I've already installed the reverse camera package from Volvotech and think I could install the 360 kit to interface with the VBB4 box so as to see all around the car and not just behind.
That way I could have the surround view on the GPS screen in both drive and reverse gears while parking. The VBB4 box is quite neat and comes with a switch allowing to choose the source for the screen - the external camera(s) or the GPS - even when not in reverse.
If Volvotech were to sell a 360 system, I would buy it from them rather than import from China. I assume I'm not the only one interested in this useful add-on.

Tags
beeping, beeps