Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0t and t4 engine codes.

Views : 1274

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2018, 20:27   #11
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Right, no engine today, well, sort of, the story from the beginning...

The guy bought a p1 t4 (so the 1855cc unit, the b4194t) cheaply with an engine problem, which turned out to be a cracked cylinder head, so he bought another t4 engine from a 2002 car (b4204t5) from a breakers, and due to scrappy engines generally being an unknown quantity, he had the head off it, got it skimmed, valves reground and then it came to fit it to the other engine, but ahh, it's different, I'm unsure how exactly they are different, but they are, the p1 was also found to be quite rotten too once the engine was out, so he cut his losses and got rid.

So he thought well I can make a little cash back by rebuilding the later engine and selling it on, which is where I come in, he re used the pictures from when he bought the engine himself, he didn't however expect ant interest so quickly, and when I pressed buy it now the engine was still all apart.

It was meant to be ready today, but at the last minute his brother dropped one of the valve collets on the floor and wasn't able to find it again in fading light, so he gave me a choice, either I take it as it is and rebuild it myself, or wait a few days, he'll find the collet and I can collect it reassembled, either way he's going to throw in a few other bits by way of an apology, brand new set of plug leads, new spare coil packs, a few other parts, and most interestingly, the p1 bottom end if I want it as it's literally in the scrap pile, which we all know is forged, not sure he is aware.

The good part about this is that I've now seen inside the engine, it all looks in fine health, plus new gaskets and head bolts for reassembly so I it will be done right, so for the sake of a few days I'm getting the engine, having seen inside it and it's good, and an 1855 block and pistons too, unsure of how much use it will be to me, as i don't how different the 2 engines actually are but yeah, I'll have another bottom end if it's up for grabs.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Dec 14th, 2018 at 20:31.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 19:45   #12
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Right, no engine today, well, sort of, the story from the beginning...

The guy bought a p1 t4 (so the 1855cc unit, the b4194t) cheaply with an engine problem, which turned out to be a cracked cylinder head, so he bought another t4 engine from a 2002 car (b4204t5) from a breakers, and due to scrappy engines generally being an unknown quantity, he had the head off it, got it skimmed, valves reground and then it came to fit it to the other engine, but ahh, it's different, I'm unsure how exactly they are different, but they are, the p1 was also found to be quite rotten too once the engine was out, so he cut his losses and got rid.

So he thought well I can make a little cash back by rebuilding the later engine and selling it on, which is where I come in, he re used the pictures from when he bought the engine himself, he didn't however expect ant interest so quickly, and when I pressed buy it now the engine was still all apart.

It was meant to be ready today, but at the last minute his brother dropped one of the valve collets on the floor and wasn't able to find it again in fading light, so he gave me a choice, either I take it as it is and rebuild it myself, or wait a few days, he'll find the collet and I can collect it reassembled, either way he's going to throw in a few other bits by way of an apology, brand new set of plug leads, new spare coil packs, a few other parts, and most interestingly, the p1 bottom end if I want it as it's literally in the scrap pile, which we all know is forged, not sure he is aware.

The good part about this is that I've now seen inside the engine, it all looks in fine health, plus new gaskets and head bolts for reassembly so I it will be done right, so for the sake of a few days I'm getting the engine, having seen inside it and it's good, and an 1855 block and pistons too, unsure of how much use it will be to me, as i don't how different the 2 engines actually are but yeah, I'll have another bottom end if it's up for grabs.
To me it seems as though the bloke has actually cocked up with his mechanical expertise?
The heads are interchangeable so he has made a blunder and hoping to get money from them by selling on a damaged part?

Yes ...you can swop over the engines T4 to T5 etc. but the wiring looms and ECU are different altogether it is not an easy task.

The gearbox layshaft splines are also different in number on the earlier T4 compared with the later 2002-

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Dec 15th, 2018 at 19:48.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 21:16   #13
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

B4204t3 is the 2.0t code

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 11:58   #14
960kg
Premier Member

There are in fact more engine codes for the 2 litre turbo it depends on the year?

-1999.......B4204T comp. ratio 9 to 1 160bhp

2000-.......B4204T3 comp. ratio 9 to 1 163bhp
B4204T2 9 to 1 160bhp
B4204T5 8.5 to 1 200bhp

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 12:41   #15
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The existing engine in my car is the b4204t5, as is the one I'm buying, the block and pistons he's throwing in too is a b4194t.
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 13:53   #16
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Forgot to update this, I have the engine, didn't bother with the 1855 block as I can't really be bothered haha, the engine I have is l built up with new head gasket, timing belt looks good, although used, I'll probably renew it just to be safe, although as for numbers I can't see anything identifying on the block anywhere, apart from an E that's stamped into it, the head however says 1001853, which Google suggests is a b4204t5 head, but a few results also say it relates to a b2402t3, either way though, with the t5 ancillaries from my existing engine bolted to it its still not going to be slow, even if it is a 2.0t.