Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are all 700/900 PAS racks the same length

Views : 652

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2018, 23:44   #1
Chris740R
Premier Member

Default Are all 700/900 PAS racks the same length

I've bought a power steering rack from the internet, advertised for 700/900 series. I know there are different manufacturers, but I'm quite sure they're all the same length. And by that I mean the front suspension design doesn't change at all.

I've fitted the new rack, and got to the point of attaching the track rod ends and both front wheels are pointing inwards by about 20 degrees. way too much to adjust out with the track rod ends...

Before I go back to the supplier, I thought it best to check here. All 700/900 series racks are the same length and are interchangeable, right?
Chris740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 22:47   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First question, what sort of state are your spaceship bushes in? Second, get a tape measure, measure your old rack and then measure the length of the new one (track rod tip to track rod tip) and they should be within a few mm of each other.

Assuming your spaceship bushes are ok, first make sure that when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position, it's exactly 1.75 turns from there to either full lock position. This ensures the rack is centralised.
If so, slacken the track rod end locknut and undo the track rod 2.5 turns on each one.

You should be somewhere near parallel/slight toe-in by now, if so reverse a few feet and drive forward again and have a look. If you have wheel alignment kit, set it up and see what you've got. I can't remember the figures off the top of my head but it's about 0 deg 18' toe-in +/- 9' i think.

Just checked, it's 18' +/- 8' so i wasn't far out.

IF you don't have wheel alignment kit, tighten the locknuts when it's somewhere near right and drive it carefully to get it checked/adjusted.

As you rightly summise in the first place, the suspension, chassis/cross-members etc are the same across models so the racks should be the same length.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 18:16   #3
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

You bought a 960 II steering rack.
(if you have toe in too much)
good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 20:57   #4
Chris740R
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies, all the bushings etc are good, they're all poly and sub 5 years old. The difference in length is a good 10cm or so! So way beyond what could be caused by worn bits.

Do you know if the 960 II rack is the same apart from the tie rods? It's difficult to tell without pulling the boots off but it does seem to be where the length difference is. It's miserable outside at the moment so will leave checking till friday daytime, but I'm thinking I can swap the good condition tie rods from my old rack onto the new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris740R For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 21:55   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris740R View Post
Thanks for the replies, all the bushings etc are good, they're all poly and sub 5 years old. The difference in length is a good 10cm or so! So way beyond what could be caused by worn bits.

Do you know if the 960 II rack is the same apart from the tie rods? It's difficult to tell without pulling the boots off but it does seem to be where the length difference is. It's miserable outside at the moment so will leave checking till friday daytime, but I'm thinking I can swap the good condition tie rods from my old rack onto the new one.
If you can't adjust the toe to an acceptable level on the track rod ends then it would appear you've got a 960 Mk2 rack. If it's about 10cm too "short" it would explain things! I don't know if this idea might work, Kay in Germany may be able to advise, but perhaps obtaining some 960 Mk2 track rod ends (i'm guessing here they're about 5cm each longer than the others) would solve your problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 23:33   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 960 mk2 rack is narrower than a 740/940 one

The track rods are curved and much longer.

I doubt you you can use that combination on a 940
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 15:11   #7
Chris740R
Premier Member

Dai, you're correct, the track rods are 195mm on a 960 rack and 260mm on a 940 rack, measured from the edge of the inner ball joint. They also are not swappable, the threads onto the rack are different sizes.

I've ordered some rack extensions to extend it out 60mm on each side. The refurb rack seems decent so I'm going to stick with it and make it fit. looking at the 960 steering, I don't think gear ratios inside the rack will change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris740R For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 20:05   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I hope that sorts it for you
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 11:07   #9
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Dai, you're correct, the track rods are 195mm on a 960 rack and 260mm on a 940 rack, measured from the edge of the inner ball joint. They also are not swappable, the threads onto the rack are different sizes.

depends on brand

good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post: