Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'68 2 door amazon project

Views : 2322

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2015, 22:46   #1
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default '68 2 door amazon project

For sale is my 2 door 1968 Volvo Amazon project.
My circumstances have changed dramatically and I can see no way forward to complete this project so sadly, it is now available.
There is a lot to say about this particular car that I will most likely continue to post more info over the next couple of weeks, so please don't assume that it is sold if you see lots of 'replies' to this thread.

It started life as a 131 with a single Stromberg B18 engine and no overdrive but has previously been converted to an overdrive and I have added twin SU HS6 carburettors and some other goodies.

Untold man hours have gone into this car to get the metalwork right and I have many photographs documenting the work carried out so far.
I did have a thread on the restoration progress on this forum however it seems to be the club's custom to delete all photographs on the server after a couple of years? (dig, dig!) so I will look some photos out and post them here in due course.

In brief, the car has been stripped to a bare shell, an extensive metal work restoration correctly carried out and it is currently part assembled towards readiness for the paint shop. I estimate that there is approximately 5 full days of work left to get this car ready for paint.
The following stages have been completed.

All welding done
stripped to bare metal and painted in 'rust bullet' epoxy mastic primer
Front panel, wings and bonnet dipped and stripped, e-coated and then painted in epoxy mastic primer.
Underside shot blasted to bare metal and painted in rust bullet and then undersealed
Most parts (many new) gathered for completion

New panels include rear panel, O/S rear wing, both front wings in steel.

Engine and mechanicals.

The car has only just over 100,000 documented miles and so I was not going to rebuild the engine as it ran beautifully before being stripped for restoration. However, included in the sale is a rebuilt P1800 cylinder head (as well as the original), a brand new 'K' cam is on order but not arrived yet. Walnut blasted and rebuilt SU HS6 carbs, a new water pump. There is a brand new Simons 2” exhaust system and the manifolds have been shot blasted and painted in VHT paint.
There is a brand new Kenlowe electric fan.

Brakes

All new brakes including stainless braided as well as copper lines.

Drivetrain

The diff has been drained checked and refilled. The prop has all new UJ's and has been balanced. All new rear brakes fitted and the hand brake is now operational. Bilstein shocks and lowering springs fitted as well as new bushes -mainly rubber, but some polly in the important places.
5.5 J banded early style rims with whitewall tyres, large early chrome hub caps and trim rings give the car a more 50's look. Standard Monroe shocks for the front.
All removable metal parts have been shot blasted and painted in epoxy-mastic primer.
The radiator has not been refinished.
Clutch is original and good as were master and slave cylinders but will need a look at before fitting after being on the shelf for so long

Interior

I set about changing this from the original plain red to the darker (and less prone to fading) 'ox-blood' veined red. I have upgraded the front seats with period head restraints from a later Amazon. I have a good rear seat but the fabric is deteriorated and the hardwood is de-laminating, so there is a good lighter red seat that the frame could be used to recover with the darker one.
A set of 'nicely patinated' red carpets is included but the rubber mats are pretty much past it.
The rear seat side panels are good but the front door cards will need looking at. I have welded in rear seat belt re-enforcers in the boot and included is a set of 3 point rear seat belts. Original headlining is good and still in place though will need a good clean. The dash pad has had it, but included is a very good older style dash top and the door capping extensions that look far nicer in my opinion. I have both the original steering wheel with the 'bow tie' horn push but also a good older style wheel and horn push which I prefer the look of was ordered but not arrived yet.
There is one period Volvo blue inertia reel for the driver but the passenger side is a static belt.
Original dash and wiring unfixed to allow screen aperture repairs but still in place.

Trim

The chrome-work and panel trim has been replaced with good parts I have collected over the years and there is a full set of stainless bumpers with the car.

I have made a custom front grill which will need some final sanding and sending to the chrome painters. The grill looks like the early kind but is a hybrid made to fit the later nose cone.

All box sections have been treated with a molecular rust converter and sprayed with a a high quality cavity wax.

If this project is finished off with some proper thought and planning, it should be worth upwards of £7,000 when finished. It will hold it's value if maintained properly and most likely increase.

I am genuinely gutted to have to sell this car so I will not tolerate the 'make do and mend' tyre kicking brigade.
I have done the maths and considering the large bundle of new and unused parts that will be included to complete the car as well as the thousands of hours put in on it, I think that offering the above for sale for £3,500 represents extremely good value indeed.
I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the car and will try to take a look at this thread at least daily to keep it up to date.
You can P.M. me with a contact number and I'll try to ring you as soon as possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 23:00   #2
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Underside shot-blasted and epoxy mastic primered...

The epoxy mastic paint used on the cars underside has a 10 year guarantee...

2013-09-24-12.07.36.jpg
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 23:23   #3
amazon69
Premier Member

Sad to hear you have to sell her Gordon. Knowing your work and going on the description that will be a beautiful car indeed. I'd buy it if I didn't have my hands full car wise. Whoever gets it will no doubt be in receipt of something precious. Good luck with the sale.
Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 23:30   #4
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Engine bay shot-blasted and epoxy mastic primered...

Same epoxy mastic paint is in the engine bay having been shot blasted to bare metal.
The new inner wings have been butt welded in so as to look completely original.

engine-bay.jpg
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 23:33   #5
Faust
Master Member

Sorry to hear you are selling up - you must be gutted as I could tell you are passionate about your cars.

Best of luck with the sale.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 23:47   #6
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Carpet set...

These original carpets came up pretty nicely with a jet wash and after drying some red carpet dye to freshen them up...

Carpet-set.jpg
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 17:54   #7
Carlsson 986

Default Same sentiments!

Gordon,

May I echo the above sentiments. From the forum, I also know that you are passionate about your work, and from what you've already done to the car and have ready, I think you might be selling yourself short - just an opinion!

I'm not allowed another car either!

Good luck with the sale!

Ric
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlsson 986 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 20:38   #8
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Panel work...

Many thanks for the kind words posted so far.
For a number of years I have sought to make a living as a panel maker but now as we have relocated to Scotland (car is still in Leicester) and we have the twins there is just no way to re-establish a business up here so i am going back into teaching.
The following panel was made by hand and gives you an idea of the standard of metalwork that I have tried to put into the car...
New hand made panel alongside the old...
Nose cone scuttle panel.jpg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 20:55   #9
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

All rotten sections have been cut out, painstakingly reproduced and welded in to look like they were when they left the factory.

Rear-arm-mounting-brackets.jpg

Finished-section.jpg

004.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 21:06   #10
jamie
amazon1954

What a shame, but new pastures and all that. Thanks for the very tempting fair price, but I must finish mine first although the grass is always greener.
I look forward to seeing it finished and running around, if only I was doing it...
Best wishes with your new home all the way up there and good luck with the teaching
Jamie
Closed Thread