Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car covers

Views : 1124

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:54   #1
amazon69
Premier Member

Default Car covers

Hello all,
I need to get a cover for the 131, for outside, and wondered if anyone has any recommendations? I realise there are an awful lot of choices so I thought it would be a good plan to get a recommendation if possible. Prices seem to vary widely, I'd be happy with a cheap one if it doesn't damage the paint..
Hope all are good,
Best,
Dave
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 18:33   #2
mike gilbert
Master Member

I've had several over the years and the latest one i got from e-bay. Buy it now £29.95 as I recall and came in small medium large and extra large. I got the large for my Capri and 1800S and i'm very pleased with it. Keeps the car dry, fits well and is quite lightweight. This is better than the £120 - £140 efforts I've bought elsewhere but is prone to tearing if you catch it on sharp corners.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 19:02   #3
amazon69
Premier Member

Thanks Mike..
I think i'll do the same..can't justify spending silly money on one.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:39   #4
stumph

I've heard before that as cheap covers are not breathable, you trap moisture in if your car is already wet, which is obviously a bad thing. I'm interested too as I missed a clause on my deeds when I bought the house that says I can't build a garage out front!
stumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 20:16   #5
mike gilbert
Master Member

That was the case i think, but the cheap one i have now is the same type of material as the expensive ones and I've not found damp underneath it. In fact because it is slightly lighter in weight it doesn't press down on the body like the expensive ones I've had and allows more air round the car. I think the really cheap ones might be naff but I wouldn't pay more than £30odd now.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:38   #6
amazon69
Premier Member

Had mine delivered today..it is a cheap one (£20) but is fully breathable and waterproof..I suspect the main difference twixt it and a pricey one will be robustness, but I reckon it will be fine. Can't complain at that price. Cheaper than fixing the leaking rear screen!
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 18:45   #7
BillKat

Never had any luck with the cheapo ones. The plasticky ones don't seem to breathe and once wet underneath, stick very well to the car... Best ones I've had are Moltex ones from Hamilton Classics and other places. Around £100-£120 region. They're tough, lined with a nice fleecy material and definitely waterproof and they do breathe.

I've had a couple of these, only thing was last time I looked they didn't have any estate shapes so I used an overlong saloon one, that worked well enough, if a little baggy at the rear quarters.
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 18:52   #8
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKat View Post
... Best ones I've had are Moltex ones from Hamilton Classics and other places. Around £100-£120 region. They're tough, lined with a nice fleecy material and definitely waterproof and they do breathe.
I have one of these on my 240GLT - very high quality, durable and well worth the money in my opinion.

Check out their website: http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/Pro...doorMoltex.htm
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 16:10   #9
stumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKat View Post
Never had any luck with the cheapo ones. The plasticky ones don't seem to breathe and once wet underneath, stick very well to the car... Best ones I've had are Moltex ones from Hamilton Classics and other places. Around £100-£120 region. They're tough, lined with a nice fleecy material and definitely waterproof and they do breathe.

I've had a couple of these, only thing was last time I looked they didn't have any estate shapes so I used an overlong saloon one, that worked well enough, if a little baggy at the rear quarters.
There I was, all ready to get a cheapo one, then you come along
stumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 17:06   #10
ted lay

I bought one from covercraft, if i remember it wads nearly 300pounds, used it for one month and found the paint was suffering so it is sitting in the shed and will not ever go back on the car, it is tailor made for an amazon, lovely cover, told covercraft of the prtoblem and their response was the car had been resprayed at sometime but not done properly, very technical long and short of it, i have a useless very expensive cover doing nothing, we are now building a garage, any comments would be welcome
ted lay is offline   Reply With Quote