Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800/Amazon Rear Coil Over Conversion Kit (Bolt In)

Views : 12831

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2012, 03:40   #1
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Default P1800/Amazon Rear Coil Over Conversion Kit (Bolt In)

Here are some preliminary pics of the Swedish Ops rear coil over conversion kit.. We are adding a Punch Hole finish plate to the bottom opening near the spring pockets, and few other asthetic features, along with finish grinding and full powder coating. This is a bolt in bar that transfers ALL the LOAD back to the original spring pockets.. It is self centering, and will bolt in with out removing the rear axle. We have the Bolt On adapter brackets to convert your original Volvo rear end coil over to accept the coil over mounting..

This bar give your P1800/Amazon up to 5 inches of incremental ride height settings, from stock to an extreme lowered position. You also have quick adjust ride sensitivity and stiffness settings, with a twist of a knob. We have about unlimited spring load and rate options, so no more settling on what you are looking for in ride height or ride quality. You have the same ride potential at any ride height you choose.

The rear end pictured, is the Swedish Ops Universal Direct Bolt In rear end. It comes with all the gear ratio and traction options you can ever need, along with a disc brake range of 11in to 14 inch rotors and up to 6 piston Calipers. The aluminum adjustable trailing arms/panhard bar allows you to keep your proper rear end alignment and and pinion angles, no matter the ride height setting.. Another unique feature to this rear end is, it comes in a 54in, 55in, and 56in track width, which will allow you to use a wider variety of common wheels and offsets with out spacers.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Jan 6th, 2012 at 04:34.
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 06:30   #2
tdz840
VOC Member

Default rear suspension

Robert
All looks very nice - as usual!
However for the rear why have you retained the solid rear axle?
Making such substantial changes anyone interested to fit this would be happy to fit an independant set up.
Perhaps using components from a Jag or similar set up?
Plus the bump stops look shrouded and perhaps with the axle articulation may hit the webs either side?
Just my two pennyworth!
Still looks nice though
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 09:39   #3
Wulff

My thoughts as well in particular in regards to the IRS which would be an interesting setup. I know that Leif Tuvesson (www.Caresto.se) used a BMW IRS for his latest 1800ES -not sure of dimensions and possibilities vs restirctions etc. but to stay with the Volvo theme would have though either Volvo's own multilink IRS from e.g. the 700/900 series could be modified or perhaps something from an AWD 850 or V50?

Irrespectively it looks fantastic and I for one highly welcome an off the shelf supply of what appears to be some hiugh quality products for those of us who'd like some performance enhancements for our vintage Volvo's without having to resort to a complete custom build and refabrications. Many thanks for your efforst so far Robert!

John
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulff For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 10:16   #4
222s
Amazoniste

The problem with going IRS is how to attach it without modifying the shell, which is a particular issue with regard to UK regulations. Even a Jag derived setup would most likely involve hacking the rear structure to locate it properly so that the desired stance & ride height is achieved, as opposed to the '70s custom jacked-up look.....

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 13:52   #5
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
The problem with going IRS is how to attach it without modifying the shell, which is a particular issue with regard to UK regulations. Even a Jag derived setup would most likely involve hacking the rear structure to locate it properly so that the desired stance & ride height is achieved, as opposed to the '70s custom jacked-up look.....
Exactly right.! If you look at what Caresto had to do in order to install that BMW IRS, you would understand what went on.. There was alot of fab work there just to allow the body to accept the mounting, and not to mention mods to the BMW IRS also.

And with the IRS set ups, you really dont have the adjustiblity that this kits has, nor the availability of parts and options. The cost it would cost to supply a IRS system that would bolt right in, would be astronomical, and that would have to be transferred to the customer. And to be honest, this rear kit is no slouch. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a properly set up solid axle rear configuration, most guys prefer its capability and set up for alot of reasons.

With the Swedish Ops parts, I am trying to achieve something that is completly adjustable, great performance with durability, and Weekend Warrior Friendly.. I want the guys with normaly garages, with normal tools, and average mechanical experience, to be able to complete our mods in a good day or weekend.

Flush Mount Glass
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 13:55   #6
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Robert
All looks very nice - as usual!

Plus the bump stops look shrouded and perhaps with the axle articulation may hit the webs either side?
Just my two pennyworth!
Still looks nice though
Russ
Thanks Russ... The axle articulation has alot of clearance.. I will just say this, you can about lay the rockers on the ground with the suspension articuation. I really dont see anyone going that far with it.. LOL

Flush Mount Glass
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 21:14   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Robert, mounting the springs and shocks as close to the wheel should be what you want to achieve I would think. From what I can see moving the spring towards the centre means your solution will handle worse, require more force to work, and not be as effective keeping the wheel on the ground, the original is better in design and will work better.

Can you not mount the coil overs on the opposite side of the trailing arm mount on the axle, and therefore much closer to the wheel?
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 21:31   #8
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Hi Robert, mounting the springs and shocks as close to the wheel should be what you want to achieve I would think. From what I can see moving the spring towards the centre means your solution will handle worse, require more force to work, and not be as effective keeping the wheel on the ground, the original is better in design and will work better.

Can you not mount the coil overs on the opposite side of the trailing arm mount on the axle, and therefore much closer to the wheel?
Mitch.. I am going to differ with you bit. The springs are not that far inboard, and they are angled back toward the outside. We are also using hardware and components that are capable of the force. It isnt like we just moved the cushy factory coil spring inboard, and the amount they are moved really isnt the extreme case you are warning about. I will say this, I will match it up against the original design anytime.. LOL I understand the principal of what you are saying, and like most other things, there are solutions and better components to counter the affects.

There is no way to mount the coil overs to the outside of the trailing arms, that is where the rims and tires go, and as you know, there is no room.

Flush Mount Glass
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 21:36   #9
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are a few pics with the unit out of the car, you should be able to see how it works.

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Jan 6th, 2012 at 23:11.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 21:47   #10
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Robert I'd take you up on that bet, physics is physics and the original with correct springs and dampers has to do less and I can see yours creating additional camber due to the design, more than the original, so not only does your spring need to work more there will be less tyre in contact with the road. Look at your front design and where the spring is mounted and how far you've got the rear spring away from the wheel in the rear design.

This is sort of what I was suggesting regarding to mounting the coil over opposite the trailing arm bracket: http://image.rodandcustommagazine.co...uspension+.jpg
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote