Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 1.6D D4162T Correct Timing Belt Interval is 87.5K miles

Views : 8138

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2014, 11:07   #1
paulwtech

Exclamation D2 1.6D D4162T Correct Timing Belt Interval is 87.5K miles

I have it confirmed from Volvo that the timing belt change interval is 87,500 miles & not 150,000 miles as some may believe it to be! There is an advisory that Volvo brought the interval forward towards the end of April 2014 here: http://workshopsupportguide.volvocar..._41en37_ir.pdf
(Also attached as PDF).
Quote: "Replacement interval for timing belt kit
The replacement interval for timing belt kit on D4162T (84) has been changed to 140 000 km.
This affects the following variants: C30, S40 (04-), V40 (13-), V40 Cross Country, V50, S60
(11-), V60, S80 (07-) and V70 (08-) from model year 2011 and forward, which have adapted
service programs."

Just thought I should make you aware; apparently Volvo haven't issued a recall, but rather are including the timing belt replacement when your vehicle goes in for it's next service! This of course would only take place if you are having the vehicle serviced at Volvo dealerships! So be warned & be aware ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vida_release_news_2014b_41en37_ir.pdf (344.0 KB, 50 views)
paulwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 11:44   #2
paulwtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwtech View Post
I have it confirmed from Volvo that the timing belt change interval is 87,500 miles & not 150,000 miles as some may believe it to be! There is an advisory that Volvo brought the interval forward towards the end of April 2014 here: http://workshopsupportguide.volvocar..._41en37_ir.pdf
(Also attached as PDF).
Quote: "Replacement interval for timing belt kit
The replacement interval for timing belt kit on D4162T (84) has been changed to 140 000 km.
This affects the following variants: C30, S40 (04-), V40 (13-), V40 Cross Country, V50, S60
(11-), V60, S80 (07-) and V70 (08-) from model year 2011 and forward, which have adapted
service programs."

Just thought I should make you aware; apparently Volvo haven't issued a recall, but rather are including the timing belt replacement when your vehicle goes in for it's next service! This of course would only take place if you are having the vehicle serviced at Volvo dealerships! So be warned & be aware ;-)
Update:
My 2011 v50 1.6 DRIVe had done 113k miles & just missed the timing belt change on last service! I've recently had it replaced; full timing belt kit, water pump & auxiliary belt. The old belt & components definitely showed that it needed replacing; belt was cracking at base of teeth & water pump bearing was tight & whining when cold!
For those interested, the timing belt kit can be purchased from Volvo parts for £117 all inc. part number: 31339888 (NB this does not include water pump!). I had my garage man who I trust implicitly to do my work; £295 all inc. Alternatively, Volvo will do all this for £450+!
I hope this helps anyone who reads this post. Last thing you want is timing belt failure!
Timing Belt: C30, S40, V40, V40 XC, V50, S60, V60, S80, V70
paulwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:35   #3
Kitch87

Default timing belt

HI

I have just purchased a 1.6 v50 2011 model year, the vehicle has only done 39000 but will be 7 years old next year, is there a time limit on the timing belt or is it purely done on mileage?
Kitch87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 09:58   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwtech View Post
Update:
My 2011 v50 1.6 DRIVe had done 113k miles & just missed the timing belt change on last service! I've recently had it replaced; full timing belt kit, water pump & auxiliary belt. The old belt & components definitely showed that it needed replacing; belt was cracking at base of teeth & water pump bearing was tight & whining when cold!
For those interested, the timing belt kit can be purchased from Volvo parts for £117 all inc. part number: 31339888 (NB this does not include water pump!). I had my garage man who I trust implicitly to do my work; £295 all inc. Alternatively, Volvo will do all this for £450+!
I hope this helps anyone who reads this post. Last thing you want is timing belt failure!
Timing Belt: C30, S40, V40, V40 XC, V50, S60, V60, S80, V70
Volvo will charge more than 450 quid to do a proper cam belt job which includes a new water pump, aux belt and coolant.

A good Indy using a Gates kit (They include the water pump) and Volvo aux belt will charge about 500, but a real Volvo stealer would charge around 700 quid plus.
If you pay less than 500, then I would question the quality of the parts and coolant used, as you will often get what you pay for from most garages.
The warranty on the parts is also of significance, as one year is not much good!

How long a cam belt, tensioner or pump lasts before failing depends a lot on the number of stop starts and the invironmental conditions. The worst case would be a local taxi (Lots of stop starts) based in a warm coastal town. A high number of stop starts stresses the belts and warm moist salty air corrodes the tensioner bearings. How long an OEM standard water pump depends a lot on the quality of the coolant (Volvo, Liqui Moly or engine company only) and how often it's changed.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:

Tags
d2-, d4162t, drive, v50 1.6d, v50 diesel