Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

262c should i go manual or 4sp auto?

Views : 375

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2017, 18:27   #1
DOUGIE68

Default 262c should i go manual or 4sp auto?

I am boogying on with the 262c but cant make up my mind whether to stick with the current slusher, go to 4sp auto but what gearbox to use or go to M46 which I have with pedalbox,flywheel etc. I'm leaning towards the 4sp auto as its less hassle but whats the opinion of the masses?
I placed an ad on Turbobricks for the Crown badges and the good ol yanks came up trumps, I now have 3 sets.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 01:23   #2
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi,

Well it's been a while since I've seen a 262c so cant remember the set up, I guess from your post at the moment it has a 3spd auto, if so a 4spd auto would be a useful and practical update and depending on what condition your vehicle is in the less involved of your options and keeping in mind the 262c was meant to be a cruiser and not a balls out GT car more original.

However as an automatic only license holder I would be considered a little biased.

Other things to consider; does the 262c have the same mounting points for the prop shaft centre bearing? Would you need to get a custom prop shaft made for any of these conversions? Did Volvo use different final drive ratios in rear axles fitted to automatic transmissions?

The car is pretty rare do you want a car that is original or a car more in keeping with what you want.

I run a 240GL, not as rare as your 262c but slightly rare these day's especially in my neck of the woods, its not a show boat by any stretch, but I keep an eye on things and make additions that I feel are of use to me, for example my extra lights are not for show I do a fair bit of continental driving and I noticed years ago that some beam convertors tend to limit the usable light.

Anywho, if it where mine I'd fit an AW71 (4spd auto) the 0.69:1 OD is better than most manual top gears for its time allowing decent mpg even from a 2.7.

Hope that was of some use.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 22:43   #3
DOUGIE68

Thanks. I have two 262c`s and both are auto. I'm going with the idea of just leaving things be.
I took the drivetrain out today just because and have the doors, bumpers and bonnet off cos my garage is a pain in the bum as its a bit narrow.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote