Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 R Design

Views : 1305

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2017, 08:29   #1
bigbadbob
car nut

Default XC60 T8 R Design

Hi everyone, I've had my XC60 R Design Lux (Storm) mileage 34000 for nearly 4 years now and it been a really good car. A few faults EGR valve 3 times (under warranty) and drivers door lock mechanism fitted by myself yesterday. She has towed effortlessly for 20000 of the above.
However its time to move on and I'm looking to change next spring. I've looked at all the alternatives, Porsche Macan, Merc Amg 43, BMW x5 & x3 ,Audi Q5 etc and after all the research its come back to Volvo for style, build and refinement, the only downside is the engine note as Volvo have decreed 4 pots only, so no V6, V8 sound track.
I will change for a XC60 as the 90 is too big the only consideration now is a
1 XC60 R design Pro D5

2 XC60 R design Pro T8
or anInscription of the above.

I tow a 1500 kgs caravan so I'm well within levels

Just thought I would put it out there to get fellow views and/or views of XC90 T8 owners on towing
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 18:35   #2
Fortune7
VOC Member

Hi and welcome!

I got my XC90 T8 in June this year and am very pleased with it in all respects. One of the reasons for the choice is I have a 2000kg caravan and needed the weight and power to tow it comfortably. I'm certainly not disappointed; the power / torque is there for both standing - starts, when you want to accelerate at approximately the same speed as those around you, and up-hill performance when needed. I'm no 'performance' driver but clearly the extra weight of the 'van is easily accommodated by the T8's power.

My driving profile is generally short daily distances within the (approx) 20 mile battery range with the occasional longer trip and very occasional towing, so I'm finding that I rarely fill-up with petrol and on average since new its at around 43mpg. Towing mpg is low 20s (!) for the few trips I've done once battery capacity is fairly quickly depleted. When on longer trips and certainly when towing I make regular use of the battery 'hold' function so there's adequate power when needed, though I suspect the petrol engine would cope OK, albeit a bit noisily at times of high load.

For me, the car's ideally suited to my driving style and profile; I use a home charger and have a solar PV system which helps. I think that hybrid owners need to carefully consider their needs, as economy when the battery is depleted is worse than the equivalent diesel. The petrol (only) range with the smaller tank could be limiting, especially when towing. I have to plan stops fairly carefully with the 'van on the back to avoid getting caught in confined service stations. However, an added bonus is being able to charge the car off the 'van when camping on a hook-up!

Cheers, Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune7 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 23:43   #3
bigbadbob
car nut

Thanks Fortune7 I'm still debating a new kid is just to come on the block the BMW m40i, sounds really nice but thats not everything.
Your xc90 sounds awesome, does the electric side work the same when you are towing or do some functions switch off? And how is the air ride towing?

Cheers
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 11:32   #4
Fortune7
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post
Thanks Fortune7 I'm still debating a new kid is just to come on the block the BMW m40i, sounds really nice but thats not everything.
Your xc90 sounds awesome, does the electric side work the same when you are towing or do some functions switch off? And how is the air ride towing?

Cheers
When towing, the Pilot Assist 2 function is inhibited, which is understandable. I'm not sure I'd use it with the 'van on the back, but Adaptive Cruise Control works as normal and is very effective, taking some stress out of multi-speed motorway driving. I find the air suspension a great asset when towing; the caravan puts 125kg (static) nose-weight on the towbar and the car stays level and pitch-stable. To be fair, I haven't compared with normal suspension but I suspect with the extra weight the back of the car would sit lower.

Cheers, Andy
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 07:49   #5
bigbadbob
car nut

Hi Fortune that sounds ok to me. I notice you have a solar system, how does that work when charging the car? I didn't think they had enough in them for anything worthwhile.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 14:02   #6
Fortune7
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post
Hi Fortune that sounds ok to me. I notice you have a solar system, how does that work when charging the car? I didn't think they had enough in them for anything worthwhile.
The solar pv setup is there to 'help' with charging in the daytime. I don't have any other smart devices to specifically use the solar generated power to charge the car, though there are examples available.

Cheers, Andy