Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 54995

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.78%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 445 57.72%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.71%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 771. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 29th, 2016, 15:15   #191
Grimble
Grimble

For those struggling to undo the wheel nuts with the standard kit, I suggest investing in one of those telescopic bars, and in extreme cases aided by a length of steel pipe (an old piece of scaffold will do). Very low cost and definitely a back-saver! My wife has never failed to undo wheel nuts this way.

I agree also that the ability to change a wheel is a very useful skill that is probably as important as some of the parts of the driving test.

Its bad enough getting a puncture, but to be left helpless at the side of the road with no mobile signal (very common in our area) to me seems entirely preventable with a bit of training.
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 16:55   #192
krsone01634

Definite space saver, been stranded before with cars with that tyre sealant stuff
krsone01634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 20:11   #193
Mike V60

My V60 came with the tin of gunk & a compressor.....i had the car 2 days & left work to find a flat n/s/r tyre,thankfully the compressor inflated it & i was able to get the punchure repaired....that night i bought a space saver spare wheel & bag & jack....
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 22:14   #194
AB-UK
Premier Member

Space saver AND a decent wheel brace.
The tiny effort supplied by Volvo is next to useless.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 23:13   #195
Diego67

I’ve got space saver and also full 18 spare as well , that’s for the long trips !
Diego67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 21:18   #196
canis
Non Fragile

I would like the tailgate of our V40 to open sideways, the "station-wagon" type. And have the spare wheel mounted on that. Whether full-size or space-saving, putting it beneath all the cargo is bad news when one is trying to get oneself (and passengers) off the hard shoulder and out of danger quickly.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 21:19   #197
Kargal

Wheel bolts overtightened that's why you need a scaffold bar
I seen many times when wheel bolts are just gunned in at full torque.

Personally I had no issues changing wheels using standard wheel brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
For those struggling to undo the wheel nuts with the standard kit, I suggest investing in one of those telescopic bars, and in extreme cases aided by a length of steel pipe (an old piece of scaffold will do). Very low cost and definitely a back-saver! My wife has never failed to undo wheel nuts this way.
Kargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:53   #198
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I voted

cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied

But.... I can see the logic of just supplying a sealer as an alternative not just on cost, how many people would know or have the courage to change a wheel on the side of a busy road ?
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:57   #199
33CHINACARS

Didn't like what Volvo supplied, so l've 2 spare rims & new tyres sitting in the shed just in case for my 2012 XC 60
33CHINACARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 16:52   #200
Delta66

Having lived in the middle of now where, there has to be space for a full sized spare, for people who do not have easy access to tyre shops/fitters. We are a small, well populated country. Elsewhere, there is even more need for a full sized wheel as people could be hundreds of miles from assistance. Imaging what it must be like in places like Canada.

Car makers should have design options where the choice is full size spare (takes up all the space), space saver (with a tray for extra storage) foam kit/pump (with a different tray for extra storage).
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote