Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

carb tuning

Views : 2216

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2017, 12:52   #21
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

I hate to hear you have so much difficulty...I would like to come back to the wiggly Metering Needle, and compare it to the hard MN...bottom line in terms of mixture is that when Dashpot is lifted that little bit for idle, the same OD should be blocking Jet Orifice for both hard and wiggly MN, resulting in an equal amount of fuel being dispensed...so this goes back to the position in Dashpot of the MN in Dashpot...please confirm this...you might also measure the MN OD at some distance from bottom Dashpot surface and compare that between hard and wiggly MNs...finally, confirm OD is what you believe it should be based on MN specs. MN taper, Dashpot lift at idle, and therefore height out of Jet orifice (0.100") determine idle mixture...!

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 13:43   #22
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post

Colortune i have read some good reports but always read the actual plug color on coming back from a run ...colortune are idle only.
So true - will one of these plugs hold up to road use for a while?

If so how about using a mounted camera under the hood to record one of these plugs while driving at different speeds? Then change it to each of the other cylinders one at a time and then you will have an interesting record of the burn colors. Doing this on a chassis dyno or rolling road would be easier.

Or, take it out and warm it up first, and find a good road w/little traffic. Pull over in a quite spot and set up the Colortune on #1 and run it though the gears up to a constant speed. Go back to where you started, change plug to #2 and later #3 & #4 and run all at about the same speeds and rpms as you did the first time and you will know exactly what you mixture looks like through the range.

Another method is what I and others use on racing cars: Warm up the engine first and then put in a new set of plugs of the correct heat range. Run it though the gears up to a constant speed and then push in the clutch and shut the engine off at the same time and then coast to a stop and check the color of the plugs for an average record of the run.

To find our what you mixture is like at the speed you drive at most of the time, put the plugs back in and run it at that speed for several miles and shut it off as you did earlier and check the plug colors.

Color info here: https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-...d-a-spark-plug

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm

Last edited by Vintagewrench; Dec 10th, 2017 at 13:46.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 14:52   #23
arcturus
arcturus

Well, that's it sorted for the time being. Getting there slowly.Runs a bit fluffy between 10K and 15K rpm. starts to get better at 20K, at 30k picks up its skirts and starts showing a leg and at 40K hang on, up to 50K.I would like to try the KF needle if I can get a springy one.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 13:26   #24
arcturus
arcturus

Just had this from Burlens

Thank you for your enquiry. The sprung needles available for the 100 thou HS6 jets range from the BAA needle to the BHD needle and the KN needle. There is no 100 thousand KF needle available. You can purchase the profile charts showing the diffferent profiles of each of the needles.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 19:48   #25
amazon69
Premier Member

Is this not why the jet is so far down? The unsprung needles are 0.090 but the sprung ones are wider at 100 thou therefore you need the jet lower? My unsprung needles are 1.2mm below the bridge.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 14:23   #26
arcturus
arcturus

Hi again, just returned after my Christmas treat in posh hotels and great wine. The car runs fine but is lumpy now between 10 & 20K. It was much smoother before so I think that I will return it to it's earlier position.
Also noticed this for the first time. The position of the ridge on the dash pot neck differs between carbs although the dash pot will only fit in one position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC220003.jpg (195.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PC220005.jpg (192.2 KB, 21 views)
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:38   #27
arcturus
arcturus

Read this whilst browsing SU carb adjustment
couple of decent donations as it is so useful. If you use the site, then please make a donation – it is well worth it.

Needles come in a very wide variety of profiles for both the fixed and bias sprung (Pic 8) types. The biased sprung (swinging) needles are very much longer because they were initially developed for the 2-inch SU fitted to export Jaguars to achieve minimal emissions and safety reasons. To simplify and minimise stock numbers, the same length was used for all biased sprung SUs from 1.5-inch upwards. Consequently the needles used in the smaller carbs only use a very short section of the needle

This could account for the 18 flat adjustment.

BTW the mileage I expect to do shouldn't make wear a problem