Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY AWD repair instructions

Views : 23355

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2010, 17:14   #1
D5Gill

Talking DIY AWD repair instructions

BEVEL GEAR COLLAR REPLACEMENT

There may be an easier way, but this is how I did it.

Front of the car up on axel stands
Remove lower engine drip tray
Remove front right wheel
Undo ball joint on front lower control arm
Undo top nut on drop link and pull away the arm
Undo the nut in the center of the front hub
Undo two support nuts for the front right drive shaft carrier and remove the bracket
On a full lock to the right, pull the hub from the front drive shaft and then slide the drive shaft out towards you.

There may be those of you who are more proficient at doing this job, but so far it took me 2 hours as I had trouble removing the lower ball joint

Right.... now onto a creeper and slide under the car.
Undo the black plastic turbo intercooler pipe under the Bevel gear. There are two jubilee clips and three 10mm bolts holding in place.
lying down head first under the bevel gear you see a black metal bracket at the right wheel side with 3 bolts holding it into place. This bracket needs to come out to allow the bevel to slide out. Undo the support nuts and remove the bracket (very fiddly and tricky to get at)
Once the bracket it out, you can now get to a second support carrier/damper for the drive shaft removed earlier. Prong off the two rubber caps and undo the 10mm support nuts. The carrier comes away.
Its now time to undo the rear drive shaft. There are six 8mm allen bolts holding in onto the bevel gear. Use a 8mm allen socket to undo this. Access is too limited for a regular allen key. Once undone, pry away at the joint with a crow bar, the rear drive shaft comes off

The bevel gear is held onto the transmission by five 14mm hex bolts. four of them are visable and accessable The fifth one I can only feel by hand at the top of the bevel gear. I used 2 swivel joints and about 70cm worth of extension arms with my ratchet to undo it. The only access I could use was front the top of the engine bay. With one person holding the ratchet bit onto the nut and supporting the swivel, a second person must undo the nut front the top. The bevel gear is now free and has nothing supporting it in place other than the infamous spline collar......Another 2 hours have lapsed (again, there might be a quicker way, but this was done using basic tools on the driveway using axel stands).

Pry at the joint between the transmission and the bevel gear with a crow bar and it comes away. The spline collar was stuck in the transmission end.

At this point I was rather frustrated as the bevel gear has a lot of other hardware in the way which doesnt allow it to come away. I shaved a corner off a support metal bracket with a grinder (no impact on functionality or service) and then drained the oil from the sump and removed the oil return lines and carrier using torq bits.

Thunk! the bevel gear finally comes to the ground ** - time for inspection.

185k miles later and the bevel gear splines in top condition, it works fine when rotated and there is next to no play in all the joints. I am impressed!
The spline collar was stuck into the transmission. I cut a notch into the lower side of the collar and stuck in my crow bar. I couldnt see how the XC70 boys managed to get two notches either side of the collar to remove it. Must be a different layout. Anyway one notch sufficed. The collar moved out with the crow bar about an inch and then stuck again. I hooked in a slide hammer and the collar finally come out along with some ATF (about 250ml) so be ready to catch it.....Another hour and a half has passed

Inspection time!!!! - collar in mint condition transmission side. Rusty residue and near bald splines in the collar at the bevel gear end.

I puchased the overhaul kit from volvo for about £85 which basically is a new and improved hardened collar, a tube of grease, two seals, one inside the collar and the other for the transmission. There are also new five bevel gear mounting bolts with the kit

New collar installed onto transmission first. Bevel gear residue cleaned.

......Installation is the reverse of removal

**Also a great opportunity to change the bevel gear oil whilst its down on the ground (75w-90 oil)

I now have 4WD again. Allow a good weekend for this job if you are attempting it yourself without a ramp.

Last edited by D5Gill; Oct 18th, 2010 at 19:28.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 17:29   #2
BestGear
Master Member

Do you have the part number for the kit, and, do you know what years it covers?

Well done with the write up - I guess the dog ate the pictures?!?!

David
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 17:32   #3
D5Gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Do you have the part number for the kit, and, do you know what years it covers?

Well done with the write up - I guess the dog ate the pictures?!?!

David
Sorry, I was too messy to handle a camera. I did take a pic of the failed collar.

Kit covers 2003-2006 models. Volvo managed to get the kit number for my car using my registration number
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 00:48   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5Gill View Post
BEVEL GEAR COLLAR REPLACEMENT

There may be an easier way, but this is how I did it.

Front of the car up on axel stands
Remove lower engine drip tray
Remove front right wheel
Undo ball joint on front lower control arm
Undo top nut on drop link and pull away the arm
Undo the nut in the center of the front hub
Undo two support nuts for the front right drive shaft carrier and remove the bracket
On a full lock to the right, pull the hub from the front drive shaft and then slide the drive shaft out towards you.

There may be those of you who are more proficient at doing this job, but so far it took me 2 hours as I had trouble removing the lower ball joint

Right.... now onto a creeper and slide under the car.
Undo the black plastic turbo intercooler pipe under the Bevel gear. There are two jubilee clips and three 10mm bolts holding in place.
lying down head first under the bevel gear you see a black metal bracket at the right wheel side with 3 bolts holding it into place. This bracket needs to come out to allow the bevel to slide out. Undo the support nuts and remove the bracket (very fiddly and tricky to get at)
Once the bracket it out, you can now get to a second support carrier/damper for the drive shaft removed earlier. Prong off the two rubber caps and undo the 10mm support nuts. The carrier comes away.
Its now time to undo the rear drive shaft. There are six 8mm allen bolts holding in onto the bevel gear. Use a 8mm allen socket to undo this. Access is too limited for a regular allen key. Once undone, pry away at the joint with a crow bar, the rear drive shaft comes off

The bevel gear is held onto the transmission by five 14mm hex bolts. four of them are visable and accessable The fifth one I can only feel by hand at the top of the bevel gear. I used 2 swivel joints and about 70cm worth of extension arms with my ratchet to undo it. The only access I could use was front the top of the engine bay. With one person holding the ratchet bit onto the nut and supporting the swivel, a second person must undo the nut front the top. The bevel gear is now free and has nothing supporting it in place other than the infamous spline collar......Another 2 hours have lapsed (again, there might be a quicker way, but this was done using basic tools on the driveway using axel stands).

Pry at the joint between the transmission and the bevel gear with a crow bar and it comes away. The spline collar was stuck in the transmission end.

At this point I was rather frustrated as the bevel gear has a lot of other hardware in the way which doesnt allow it to come away. I shaved a corner off a support metal bracket with a grinder (no impact on functionality or service) and then drained the oil from the sump and removed the oil return lines and carrier using torq bits.

Thunk! the bevel gear finally comes to the ground ** - time for inspection.

185k miles later and the bevel gear splines in top condition, it works fine when rotated and there is next to no play in all the joints. I am impressed!
The spline collar was stuck into the transmission. I cut a notch into the lower side of the collar and stuck in my crow bar. I couldnt see how the XC70 boys managed to get two notches either side of the collar to remove it. Must be a different layout. Anyway one notch sufficed. The collar moved out with the crow bar about an inch and then stuck again. I hooked in a slide hammer and the collar finally come out along with some ATF (about 250ml) so be ready to catch it.....Another hour and a half has passed

Inspection time!!!! - collar in mint condition transmission side. Rusty residue and near bald splines in the collar at the bevel gear end.

I puchased the overhaul kit from volvo for about £85 which basically is a new and improved hardened collar, a tube of grease, two seals, one inside the collar and the other for the transmission. There are also new five bevel gear mounting bolts with the kit

New collar installed onto transmission first. Bevel gear residue cleaned.

......Installation is the reverse of removal

**Also a great opportunity to change the bevel gear oil whilst its down on the ground (75w-90 oil)

I now have 4WD again. Allow a good weekend for this job if you are attempting it yourself without a ramp.

This is the only way I can get this to post.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 21:53   #5
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
This is the only way I can get this to post.
Eh?

Whats up??!?

Tags
spline