Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Discs, Pads and Shoes Replacement - Guide

Views : 40131

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2010, 20:20   #21
chb
Master Member

Smile

Just to back up what BestGear said. The manual adjustment cable is quite a bit further back than I expected. It is free floating so you can lift it up and free of the nearby wireing loom to "faff" with it.

I expected it to be in line with the front of the radio panel, but its actually flush with the front of the seat squab with the front seat all the way back.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 21:08   #22
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Hmm not the best pics but here you go....
With the money I saved I'd like to get an RSE but one with the dvd players within the headrest and a HDD linkup... Has anyone had the ebay ones fitted with the zip covers?
Neat painting there... very discreet!

If you do go for the non-OEM "Ebay" headrests...remember what I said - ensure that the cables come (or can be modified to) come out from the fabric at the base of the headrest and not just from the headrest mounting pole as you will not get that to fit through the volvo seat back mounting holes... and ensure that the poles are 12mm diameter....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...1&postcount=17

It should be easiy enough to get that sorted - great value for not much cash - headrest monitors with or without integrated DVDs are very cheap now... what about a media player like mine in place of a DVD?

These headrests look ok, and at £130 or so quid are a good deal... see what I mean re the cables from the poles? These ones would be very easy to reroute the cables - they are even 12mm poles! You see the poles unscrew so that would allow you to cut and reterminate the cables to suit.

David

Last edited by BestGear; Oct 11th, 2010 at 21:11.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 21:56   #23
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

The kids want a dvd player so needs must....!! Otherwise a media player would be fine. What screens did you fit into the headrests in the end? i was wondering if I could disconnect the cables where they enter the screens and route the cables up retrogradely from below the seat using a sparky's fibreglass cable router kit?
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 22:03   #24
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
The kids want a dvd player so needs must....!! Otherwise a media player would be fine. What screens did you fit into the headrests in the end? i was wondering if I could disconnect the cables where they enter the screens and route the cables up retrogradely from below the seat using a sparky's fibreglass cable router kit?
I managed to pick up the OEM headrests - of dealer fit fame.

If you can get the headrest cables sorted so they dont emerge from the centres of the poles, routing them through the seat is standard stuff - I used a "sparkies" fibrglass fish/rod too.... following this...

You can get power from the centre console... nice and easy.

David
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 22:23   #25
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

cheers, so you don't rate the ebay item number 190445390538? What is the number of the one you have shown there please?

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Oct 11th, 2010 at 22:25.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 22:33   #26
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

found it now, have you seen the rear view camera they offer? Looks ok.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 22:46   #27
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
cheers, so you don't rate the ebay item number 190445390538? What is the number of the one you have shown there please?
Hi

Its not that I dont rate it, its just £££ cash and I dont think its worth it as you can find similar for less cash.

I would either buy a "cheap" ebay set or pick up a set of loose monitors and mount them in standard OEM headrests.

I was not suggesting the headrests that I added the picture for - that was just to illustrate the wires leaving the poles - given the environment you have in the back of the car, the resolution etc is of little consequence - I would buy on price and function. Its surprising what you get for not a lot of cash - and most have many built in games... and will play other ROMs if you are into downloading stuff...

Buying the self contained monitors would be a very easy fit given its just switched power to them - and they have an FM transmitter in them (well, most do) or IR/RF for headphones.

I would add that rear tinted windows is a huge benefit as most lcd screens are not that bright - plus its an anti theft benefit too - like the zipper covers for the "ebay" screens.

Did not spot the camera - do you have a link for that? I have not seen any sensibly priced cameras for the XC90 other than for a MY2010 on.

David

Last edited by BestGear; Oct 11th, 2010 at 22:49.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 22:50   #28
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Clearly I need to do more research! Try item number 190449767485
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:16   #29
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Clearly I need to do more research! Try item number 190449767485
We are miles OT now... but that camera is not ideal, as there no real room for it on the rear mounting panel, plus it has chromed screws and could well have a painted mounting foot that will rust as soon as it sees rain and look crap.

I have a few options up my sleeve and will share once done.

David