Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 54188

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 297 38.87%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 440 57.59%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.76%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 7 0.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 11:29   #11
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
If all-out minimum weight is such a major emissions/environmental issue, cars should be banned from carrying passengers and should have fuel tanks that hold a maximum of 10 litres! I could go on.
I think you are rather missing the point. The issue here is that governments have introduced emissions based taxation schemes - both for road fund licence, and crucially for company car tax. Emissions are heavily influenced by weight and cars are categorised in their 'default' sales condition - which is why you have to tick a box to get a space saver, rather than a sealant kit..

So, to ensure cars have the right 'tax appeal', manufacturers are ditching the spare wheel.

Don't blame the car makers.. blame the legislators.

Of course I have no statistical evidence to back this up, but I imagine the incidence of punctures per mile driven is extremely low, which is why car manufacturers think it is ok to sacrifice the spare wheel.

Clearly, this approach does not appeal to all buyers - particularly those extremely risk-averse XC60 buyers!

I have the sealant kit, as I forgot to tick the spacesaver option. I have to admit it does not cause me to lose sleep.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 12:52   #12
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMercR View Post
I have the sealant kit, as I forgot to tick the spacesaver option. I have to admit it does not cause me to lose sleep.
As with all insurance it's a case of risk assessment. My house has not burned down so far but I pay to insure it. About a million people drive on UK roads without insurance and, I'm sure, don't lose much sleep until they get caught.

I think the point is people want choice but there will always have to be compromises, so someone will always be disappointed.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC60MY12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 15:19   #13
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
if it doesn't sort itself out as the numbers go up, i'll report it to the admins.
Perhaps this is a taste of computing in the Cloud?

Somebody please fix it.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 15:26   #14
wilbydoughboy

A full size spare should I believe be standard supply spare. This can allow any fairly competent person to change a punctured tyre and continue their journey without having to plod along and worry about getting it fixed asap. With a matching spare wheel as standard supply a frugal owner can always leave it at home and get the tyre weld backup kit or even an emergency skinny wheel and gain the extra few miles per tank full of fuel ( how much this would save needs some research).
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 16:29   #15
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
Perhaps this is a taste of computing in the Cloud?

Somebody please fix it.
reported in user forum help: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127460
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 19:20   #16
844PHW
Master Member

[QUOTE=ExMercR;930368.....
Don't blame the car makers.. blame the legislators.
......[/QUOTE]

I entirely agree that legislators complicate the issue, but it is a chicken and egg situation. To a large extent, the car makers lobbying influences the relevant areas of legislation in the first place, so I don't let them off.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 19:22   #17
844PHW
Master Member

Drat, I didn't notice it was a multiple choice poll. How to I cast another vote?
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 19:40   #18
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
Drat, I didn't notice it was a multiple choice poll. How to I cast another vote?
it's not possible. i only cast one too and can't cast any more. if you've only cast one, i guess that shows your favoured option anyway. if you were to cast more than one, i guess it might dilute your opinion somewhat.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 23:23   #19
crossedover

TBH I think not supplying a full size spare is as much about cost as anything - full size tyre plus full size alloy is a fair chunk to add on.

But also, when you have 18 inch alloys with fat tyres that's a lot space to find and additional weight to carry.

I've gone through a fair few cars over the years, and I haven't had a full-size spare for I would guess 15 years.

I'm quite happy with a space-saver. It's not ideal but at least you have a get-out-of-jail that you can sort you out until you can resolve the problem properly.

My last car, a BMW, had run-flats and that was ok too. At least you can continue your journey and get the car to the tyre dealer.

As I said in the other thread, repair kits are a disaster where the damage is too severe for them to work as happened to me. I don't mind that risk in an Elise, but not in a car like the XC60 when I am likely taking my family somewhere.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 13:18   #20
jimbg
Master Member

Had a response from an email to Volvo :-

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that Volvo Car Corporation have taken the decision to delete the tempa spare wheel option from all carlines. This will apply for all vehicles manufactured from week 27 2011 (4th July).

Due to a number of reasons, the major tyre manufacturers are finding it increasingly difficult to source raw materials for production. Global vehicle sales are increasing after a number of lean years and demand remains strong from growing markets. The supply of rubber has not kept pace with demand and in addition, flooding in parts of south-east Asia has resulted in damaged crops and rubber plantations have yet to recover to full output levels. By taking this action on the tempa spare wheel, we hope to be able to protect supply of full-size tyres for the factory production line and aftermarket business.

I'm very sorry you are unhappy with this decision and I will of course note your point of view. I would however like to point out that we believe that this situation is not unique to Volvo and we expect that other manufacturers will need to follow suit shortly. Rest assured that all vehicles will be supplied with a tyre sealant kit and 1 years free Volvo assistance breakdown cover.

At this time, this is a permanent change and there are no indications when or even if this decision will be reversed. I am sorry I could not respond more positively however I hope I have explained the reasons for this decision.

Jo Howard
Customer Support Manager
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote