Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5252t Problems

Views : 1091

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2017, 19:26   #1
dingov70
Master Member

Default D5252t Problems

Hello all , further to my single bent valve problem from a few weeks ago , it gets worse

Yes I only have TWO bent valves & only just bent
No the cam belt is perfect as are the tensionsers & idlers

The cause of my dismay ??????????

A buffoon who previously changed the belt left off the diamond coated washer & failed to screw the crank bolt in TIGHT ! . I removed it this morning with my fingers

I have just removed all the scrap pieces from the crank's keyway & ordered a new crank sprocket

So , in summary if you hear what sounds like a tappet going bad , check your crank bolt is tight , REALLY TIGHT . I didn't & regret this now .

I have 2 part numbers for the sprocket as they are becoming rare beasts & are VW part numbers

069 105 263 says its for 2.4 petrol engine but is multi purpose acroos a range of engines & 0074 109 263B

VW heritage are the people to ask for new one , nobody else seems able to supply at a sensible price .

right off to fit new valves & followers & sprockets ....... & gaskets ............................ head bolts ................. tensioners , Ah BUGGER! where's my DTI gone NOW !
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 13:25   #2
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Sorry to hear your tale of woe but at least you've found the cause. If you haven't already seen it, you may find the following thread of some interest.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=268496

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 222,800 miles and counting
2008 V70 2.4D Auto, turned 100,000 miles yesterday
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 08:24   #3
dingov70
Master Member

Thank you for that Martin , it's a touch embarassing having my own motor shred itself & working in the trade ( been subject to lots of barracking )

Spoke with a Volvo indie yesterday & he knows the missing diamond washer will not allow the bolt to crush sprocket / harmonic balancer correctly & remembers several grenading due to loose bolt in crank .

Truthfully , think i have got away extremely lightly & cheaply

Steve
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 12:27   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I must confess I hadn't realised there was a washer between the crank sprocket and the vibration damper.

When I dismantled mine I can only assume that the washer remained stuck to the vibration damper. Unscrewing the crankshaft bolt required the services of a 3/4 inch drive 4 foot breaker bar plus a length of scaffold tube, a 27mm impact socket and a 500mm extension. It certainly wasn't loose and the crankshaft sprocket and keyway were perfect as was the vibration damper. I reused all these parts together with a new crankshaft bolt and hex bolts. Torquing the crank bolt to 160NM was straightforward and the first 90 degrees wasn't too difficult either. The scaffold tube came in very handy for the last 90 degrees although to be fair it was as much for extra control rather than sheer leverage.

I should imagine that if I'd left out the washer the vibration damper would sit closer to the engine and the Aux belt would be thrown out of alignment, which it isn't. Also I'd have had a washer left over, which I didn't.

Fortunately I took plenty of photographs during the process so I think I'd better take a good look at them!

As an aside, this is quite a useful diagram of the crank assembly and presumably the washer in question is labelled 4b

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...6/8627935.html

Martin
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 19:27   #5
dingov70
Master Member

I am amazed that this slender washer exerts so much grip on two mating faces , but then again , with the sheer crushing pressure the bolt applies I was stunned it was so loose .

Got it sorted for going into work , & swinging the bar from in my inspection pit . Should give everyone a laugh if it slips or snaps
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 21:41   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Here are some pictures of my sprocket and vibration damper:

It looks as though the washer may be stuck to the vibration damper and you can see the mark where it was up against the key in the sprocket and it went back together as it came apart.

There are some minor cracks in the rubber on the vibration damper but it seemed solid enough and after nearly 20 years, what can one expect. At the time my thinking was to see if I could get it running at all and the vibration damper could be relatively easily replaced at a later date if necessary. I shall be keeping a careful eye on it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprocket.jpg (50.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Vibration damper.jpg (48.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Crank and sprocket.jpg (71.3 KB, 37 views)
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 17:49   #7
dingov70
Master Member

Once my humour gland has recharged , I will post the result of my chattering sprocket or more accurately , what remains of my sprocket . Yours does not look all that bad . I have seen MErcce's when the outer section has whizzed off into the scenery .

Really ruined the front of engine , intercooler / radiator & air con assembly , lump in bonnet was quite impressive , though owner did not see it in the same light
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 19:36   #8
brickman
Premier Member

The diamond washer doesn't come with a lot of the kits though it is mentioned in all of them that I've seen.

Goes between bolt head and vibration damper, not between any of the other surfaces. The bolt doesn't bottom out without it, but in sure it does make a difference to the holding power of that bolt.

Main issue is I think a lot of mechanic don't counter hold the vibration damper right so can't get the require torque on thr bolt and /or they presume it doesn't need that much because the pulley gas a keyway on it.

Pulley obly available from vw heritage now, I put a thread up earlier this year highlighting how and where to get parts for this job.

Amazon were doing very good deal on the vibration damper, can't remember the make, red box, made in Italy I think. Was around £40 lol! I'm sure it cost then most of that in postage from wherever in Europe it came from
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 12:29   #9
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Thanks Brickman. I bought my new bolt from the Volvo dealer and it came with a captive washer so I guess I can stop worrying. They also kindly allowed me to use their counterhold tool to lock the crankshaft which made the job pretty straightforward.

Martin