Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brown liquid around injectors

Views : 980

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2017, 20:31   #1
Semnoz

Default Brown liquid around injectors

I'm getting things prepared for removing the camshaft/rocker cover (to replace the swirl throttle assembly) and thought I'd start by cleaning up around the injectors as I'd read about potential build-up of black carbon-type deposit that makes injector removal really difficult. I'd even got some Wynns air intake/carb cleaner ready to give everything an overnight soaking.

So I was relieved to find I had none of this black baked-on stuff, but instead everything looks oily. And stranger still, the injector wells in the cylinder head appear to be full of a lightish brown liquid (see photos below). I've tried soaking this liquid up with kitchen towel and it almost resembles an oil/water mixture.

Engine is running very nicely with no visible leaks anywhere. I don't see any bubbles or movement in this brown liquid when the engine is running, so nothing makes me suspect anything is leaking up out of the cylinder head, e.g. injectors are sealed OK. The top halves of the injectors and high-pressure fuel pipes are all bone dry. Shame to have to break it all apart I guess....

Any ideas what this brown stuff is ?

Perhaps an obvious question, but presumably I need to soak everything up to prevent anything dripping down into the cylinder heads ?

Last question (for now) but are the original injector clamp bolts on a D244T4 not usually torx head ? Mine are hex bolt so I'm wondering if they've been replaced at some stage, although I suspect injectors are original.

Photos are of injectors 4 and 5 (1, 2 and 3 all look identical).

Last edited by Semnoz; Nov 29th, 2017 at 20:32. Reason: spelling is rubbish !
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 17:23   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Has the engine bay been washed recently?

I put the pressure washer around the landrover engine bay regularly with a pre soaking of neat traffic film remover. The injectors on that engine sit flush with the head but if there was a well it could well take a fair bit of running to evaporate the accumulated water/muck off.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 21:38   #3
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
I'm getting things prepared for removing the camshaft/rocker cover (to replace the swirl throttle assembly) and thought I'd start by cleaning up around the injectors as I'd read about potential build-up of black carbon-type deposit that makes injector removal really difficult. I'd even got some Wynns air intake/carb cleaner ready to give everything an overnight soaking.

So I was relieved to find I had none of this black baked-on stuff, but instead everything looks oily. And stranger still, the injector wells in the cylinder head appear to be full of a lightish brown liquid (see photos below). I've tried soaking this liquid up with kitchen towel and it almost resembles an oil/water mixture.

Engine is running very nicely with no visible leaks anywhere. I don't see any bubbles or movement in this brown liquid when the engine is running, so nothing makes me suspect anything is leaking up out of the cylinder head, e.g. injectors are sealed OK. The top halves of the injectors and high-pressure fuel pipes are all bone dry. Shame to have to break it all apart I guess....

Any ideas what this brown stuff is ?

Perhaps an obvious question, but presumably I need to soak everything up to prevent anything dripping down into the cylinder heads ?

Last question (for now) but are the original injector clamp bolts on a D244T4 not usually torx head ? Mine are hex bolt so I'm wondering if they've been replaced at some stage, although I suspect injectors are original.

Photos are of injectors 4 and 5 (1, 2 and 3 all look identical).

I would be ever so interested in a write up of your work on the swirl flaps. I have to do ours sometime.
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 06:23   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

The early euro 3 D5 in p2 cars had a different injector clamp and also torx head bolts. Euro 4 d5 and onwards has the 8mm bolts. If I remember right there was also a difference in the locking collar on the injectors as well.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 08:38   #5
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

It's just mud. I would make sure the underguards fit correctly and rinse it off after spraying lightly with screen wash or Fairy Liquid. Try not to use any type of degreaser or other solvent unless you buy it from the engine manufacturer or Volvo. They can be bad news for some types of oil seal. Never use a pressure washer in any engine bay!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Dec 1st, 2017 at 08:40.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 09:21   #6
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
I would be ever so interested in a write up of your work on the swirl flaps. I have to do ours sometime.
I'm not even sure what's wrong with mine yet. The issue isn't the small plastic link arm from the motor, it's the entire swirl assembly it attaches to. The part with the ball joint that the link arm connects to is there, but it doesn't feel like its attached to anything and has a lot of play. There is also a lot of oil leakage in that area. Either the ball joint arm has snapped off the swirl shaft, or someone's already removed the entire swirl assembly and left the external 'arm' in place. I won't know until I get the cam-cover off.....currently sat waiting for the postman to deliver the new swirl assembly kit.

I won't breath a sigh of relief until I know the injectors are out, the new swirl assembly fits OK, I've thoroughly cleaned in the inlet manifold and EGR valve assembly, and that the swirl control motor is functioning OK (I think I can get it to calibrate via VIDA).

It's going to be a pain of a job but I just want everything perfect. This is the only bit of the car that isn't spot-on.

I'll certainly do a write-up, unless it all goes wrong

What's the reason you want to work on yours ?
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 21:06   #7
Semnoz

Parts arrived during the afternoon and look OK.

So I started disassembling everything on the engine. All was going OK, and 4 of the injectors were showing movement as soon as I loosened their clamp bolts. Perhaps I got a bit complacent at this point and then proceeded to remove all the fuel pipework. Those 4 injectors came out OK, but one is really siezed in place. I've just stopped after a couple of hours banging and levering to get it moving. I'm able to rotate it about 5 degrees by smacking it with an extension bar and mallet, so hopefully that's a good sign - but I really hate having to use force on anything, especially parts like this.
I've left the well soaking with inlet/carb cleaner so will continue in the morning.

What worries me now is:
  • The engine block will be really cold in the morning
  • I can't easily refit the injectors and pipes to run the engine and attempt to push the injector out that way
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 00:37   #8
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I would say if you have movement that’s a good sign. Leave it to soak over night and then try and pry the other one out. Clean as much crud away from the base and try and fill it with carb cleaner. You can also try and rotate it back and forth quickly to try and free it some more.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 12:07   #9
green van man
Premier Member

In my experience carb cleaner is highly volitile and evaporates quickly leaving no lubrication.
In the case in question I would use duck oil to soak it. Duck oil has degreasing/decarbonising properties but also leaves a lubricative film when it evaporates thus hopefully aiding removal.
Carb cleaner can of course be used to remove the duck oil once the injector is out.
As you have some movement, duck oil will work itself into the joint as you move it, cleaning and lubricating as it goes.
I have successfully got corroded bolts out of fittings that have spent 16 years in a seafront environment using duck oil, back and forth and patience. Rush it and you'll break it so go steady.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 22:53   #10
Semnoz

Thanks guys.

Good news and bad news:

Good news is that after installing everything back to go for a drive (in an attempt to dislodge the injector), it ran really well with no leaks.

Bad news is that while trying to twist the injector back and forth, I managed to break the top nut that holds the solenoid onto the injector body:

I'm fairly sure that means I need a replacement injector, unless it's possible to buy the top half ? I've started a new thread to ask about injectors.