Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boost pressure sensor?

Views : 9252

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2017, 13:23   #11
phil13

After watching a you tube video , where the engine mount pipe is removed from the control valve(just in front of air box) They say that you will have vacuum at that point on tickover , but when the revs rise above 1k it dumps the vacuum to the mounts ? I have put on a vacuum guage on the valve and when I start the engine the vacuum rate slowly rises and when I Rev the engine the vacuum remains . When I turn of the engine it takes 3-4 mins for the vacuum to drop. Would anything else cause this ? And can it be bypassed to try it?
Cheers Phil
phil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 14:41   #12
phil13

Ok , cancel the last post, turns out my guage was faulty, tried another and the vacuum control valve seems to be working as it should. I have ordered a hand pump vacuum tester so I can check pipes ect for splits or holes
Cheers Phil
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 15:00   #13
gmonag
Premier Member

When you get the test pump, attach it to the tube that goes directly to the turbo VNT actuator, after the TCV. As you apply vacuum, the actuator should move freely, about 5cm. If it does not move or it sticks, then you probably have a failed actuator or coked-up VNT vanes.

VIDA is really useful here, you can operate the VNT directly.

Last edited by gmonag; Dec 10th, 2017 at 17:11.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 15:15   #14
phil13

Thanks Greg,
Hopefully I will have it Wednesday so can get looking / testing then, if that fails then I will just have to try to get to Kendal to main dealers. So if I do start it up and immediately keep revs above tickover ,it will Rev cleanly and redline and runs fine, with no smoke or roughness, would that still indicate a turbo fault?
Many thanks Phil
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 15:59   #15
gmonag
Premier Member

I can't say. I'm only trying to give some direction for the diagnosis.
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 16:21   #16
phil13

I know and your input is greatly appreciated.
Cheers Phil
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 19:31   #17
phil13

Just a quick update, removed belly pan tonight and had a good look underneath, no signs of leaking boost , pipe work seams fine, although my set up didn't have any sealing rings/washers between the under belly pipe and the turbo flexi pipe as surgested , the flexi pipe has a yellow nitrile type liner? Just waiting for my vacuum tester to test the pipe work and actuator . When I got back in the car I scanned the faults again and had the same fault , boost pressure sensor, I cleared the fault with ignition on but engine not running, and message disappeared,but after 30 seconds it threw the fault up again without the engine running. Is this pointing to the sensor? as surely anything to do with the vacuum /boost side would need the engine running to establish a fault?
Cheers
Phil
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 19:37   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil13 View Post
Just a quick update, removed belly pan tonight and had a good look underneath, no signs of leaking boost , pipe work seams fine, although my set up didn't have any sealing rings/washers between the under belly pipe and the turbo flexi pipe as surgested , the flexi pipe has a yellow nitrile type liner? Just waiting for my vacuum tester to test the pipe work and actuator . When I got back in the car I scanned the faults again and had the same fault , boost pressure sensor, I cleared the fault with ignition on but engine not running, and message disappeared,but after 30 seconds it threw the fault up again without the engine running. Is this pointing to the sensor? as surely anything to do with the vacuum /boost side would need the engine running to establish a fault?
Cheers
Phil
I did explain early on in Post#4 above how to check the atmospheric pressure reading with the engine not running .. should be around 1000 millibar depending on the weather conditions . ...
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 20:40   #19
phil13

Sorry Clan,
I'm not sure of what or where I should be testing or what I should be testing them with? Can you elaborate please
Many thanks Phil
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 20:54   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil13 View Post
Sorry Clan,
I'm not sure of what or where I should be testing or what I should be testing them with? Can you elaborate please
Many thanks Phil
In the ECM parameters there are 3 or 4 atmospheric pressure sensors
for example:

boost pressure
inlet manifold pressure
exhaust manifold pressure
atmospheric pressure

it depends on different models and years , they should all read atmospheric pressure and read very close to each other , one will probably be more out than the rest and it is always the boost pressure sensor in the intercooler pipe .

Atmospheric pressure varies around 1000 mb