Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 needs a new battery i think?

Views : 1047

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 22:41   #11
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
i keep my cars a lot longer than 4 years, its not a "hope" to get more than 4-5 from a volvo bat, its one of those things that is worth the £ IF you keep the car longer than 4years !
The maths doesn't seem to support that though, that's why I'm puzzled by your certainly. Half the price for 4-5 years vs double for 8 or so (and I do accept that they often last about that long - it's why I am replacing OEM batteries on cars soon after we buy them - but you don't get that duration on the warranty slip, unlike the batteries I buy).

It doesn't pass my'why would you do that' test, that's all.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 08:54   #12
Welton
Premier Member

I think it's more about the quality of the Volvo Battery - they won't suddenly die without warning like a lot of aftermarket makes just after warranty.

I'd rather pay the Volvo price and not get stranded on a snowy January night when all you want to do is get home
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 09:40   #13
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I've never had a battery suddenly fail. They always give notice of their intention - which I notice from threads sometimes are not picked up on, though...
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 11:33   #14
Welton
Premier Member

I've had at least 4 batteries fail without warning, 2 in the last 6 weeks.

My original Volvo battery lasted 9 years before it started showing signs of being tired; engine cranking speed was slower and warnings on the dash about "Power Steering Fault" due to the high power requested.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 21:12   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
The maths doesn't seem to support that though, that's why I'm puzzled by your certainly. Half the price for 4-5 years vs double for 8 or so (and I do accept that they often last about that long - it's why I am replacing OEM batteries on cars soon after we buy them - but you don't get that duration on the warranty slip, unlike the batteries I buy).

It doesn't pass my'why would you do that' test, that's all.
what "maths" dont support it ?

Quote:
my v50 is a 04 plate, i have Just replaced the battery, a Volvo one dated 8 years ago with a volvo battery
if you cant work that out,, your problem

its Simple
you go buy what you wish to, cheap batteries , they clearly suit YOU better,
dont try playing stupid word games "maths dont" "puzzeled by your certainty" with me, ,, that's calling me a liar,, i take exception to that, as you Would too ,, so be a good cheap troll and join skyship :P
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 21:58   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

You are completely correct in all respects. It's better to buy the more expensive item in the expectation that it will last longer.

HTH to call this to an end now. Nobody but nobody is calling you anything, least of all a liar. I take some pride and care in never, ever making personal remarks and accusations of that nature and I deeply resent that accusation being thrown in my direction. You may care to withdraw that remark. You might also consider that the remark' stupid word games' might say rather more about you than me.

It's a battery. That's all. Options are available. Yours is absolutely the right one, I'm sure. I'm moving on.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 11:17   #17
pinballdave

The problem with battery discussion is that a lot of people don't own a car for long enough to form an opinion on a good quality battery. If the original battery is good for more than 5 years, then it'll probably be the second owner who has to replace it, and they just see 'Volvo' written on the battery and assume it's the one the car had when it came out of the factory (without looking at the service history to see if it's been replaced before).

My 850 was 5 years old when I bought it, and it had a Halfords battery in it. So I assume that the factory fitted Volvo battery had failed in that time. The Halfords one failed 2 years later, and since then I've been using Varta batteries from the local independent accessory shop. They seem to last about 7-8 years, and my third one is still going strong.

The Volvo batteries are about 40% more expensive to me. Maybe this is because I get a better discount from my local shop than the Volvo dealer is willing to offer, and others might have smaller price differences.

At this price difference I'd have to get at least 10 years from a Volvo battery for the cost to be equivalent. I know that a Volvo battery is likely to be of good quality, but can I be certain that I'll get an extra 3 years out of a Volvo battery than the alternative brand that I have been happily using for the past 30 years?

We certainly hear the tales of joy and amazement from people with long lived batteries, but there are just as likely to be others that have a shorter lifetime and we don't get posts on forums from them because most people treat batteries as consumables and just replace them without chronicling their activities on the internet.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 17:27   #18
Simmy
Premier Member

volvo make 3 types of battery make sure you get the correct one by quoteing your vin no
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 17:54   #19
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have a Bosch battery on the V40 and Varta on the C70 and no complaints at all. Bought both from www.batterymegastore.co.uk nextday delivery and a very competitive price.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote