Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

loose wire?

Views : 904

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2010, 00:36   #1
dav_o4

Default loose wire?

I've just recently bought a '97 S70 2.0 SE which has been converted to LPG. It has a switch exactly the same as this:

I got the car on Friday last week and it was slightly running slightly lumpy on LPG. I got it serviced and new plugs & leads on the Saturday and it was running perfectly on both petrol and gas. I took the car a good 100+ mile drive during the day, and at night gave a few mates lifts as the designated dafty just to check everything was running well. Just so I had a mixture of motorway miles, country roads and stop-start driving in the city centre.

I noticed while I was driving the lights on the switch went off and then back on a couple of times. To cut the story short, when I got home there were no lights on the switch and I had to stop the engine on gas (not happy). Went back out on the Sunday, the car started on gas. When I noticed the light flick on on the switch, I pulled over, switched it back over to petrol, left it idling for a couple of minutes and then drove the few miles home. I've been using the car daily for a few short journeys and only running it on petrol as I don't want to do any damage stopping/starting on gas. Obviously, I'm not getting the benefits of having an LPG car.

A few questions:
a) Will there have been any damage done anywhere, anything that needs to be checked?
b) As I'm assuming it's just a loose wire, should I just get an autospark to find the loose connection and repair it?

I have a good psh and receipts, however, no receipt for the conversion. The car has been re-registered with the DVLA as petrol/gas. The only thing I did find was an old leaflet for Autogas.

c) Is there any way I would be able to contact them and get some sort of confirmation of the date of conversion?
d) Where is the best place to go to re-fill? My mate runs his van on LPG for work and prefers Shell as he gets more MPG, even though Asda is cheaper.

Cheers in advance for any advice/info.
dav_o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 00:40   #2
dav_o4

Another thing, I tend to have a bit of a lead foot at times, taking the car to 4.5k revs or slightly above.

e) Can I drive the car "normally"? ie Do I need to drive "properly" all the time or can I drive it just as I would a petrol only?
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 19:53   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

No need to drive any different with LPG.

Only 4 possible wires that would make the switch go off.
1) 12v live connected to the bat + terminal
2) neg wire connected to the bat - terminal
3) ignition live wire usualy connected to the petrol injectors 12v live supply
4) RPM wire connected to coil - wire or crank sensor

The other possible would a loose connection on the switch or where the switch wires come through into the **** pit have started to rub through and are shorting to the body work.

I do not recoginise the switch as without further details of the system hard to give any further advice.

If going to a profesional try LPG fitters first
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 18:03   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

That dash switch is a Tartarini switch - it's identical to the one in my V70!

Tartarini's UK agents are Autogas 2000 in Thirsk, North Yorkshire. Telephone 01845 523 213 .

Ask for John or Chris.

As Dai says, drive the car on LPG exactly as you would on petrol - the only real difference is that it's cheaper!

If the history of the LPG system is unknown then a new filter would be a good idea.

Unless you're heading south soon anyway, Thirsk is a long way away from you, but if you ring Autogas 2000 they'll be able to put you in touch with someone more local, I'm sure.

According to the website their Scottish agents are:

Anderson Motors
Kircauldy
John Anderson
01592 641802
KY12NL

Maxwell Conversions
Stirling
Nial Seddon
01786 446226
FK77SG

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Nov 5th, 2010 at 18:11.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 23:03   #5
dav_o4

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Unfortunately I've been out on the booze all weekend and spunked most of my wages. Looks like I'll need to wait until payday!