Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control operation - changes to software

Views : 971

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:03   #1
thefifeflier
The Fife Flier

Default Cruise Control operation - changes to software

My car (2014 XC60 D4 manual) went in to the dealership for its annual service last Thursday. On Saturday, I used Cruise Control for the first time since the service, and, where previously a dab on the clutch pedal was enough to temporarily disengage CC, now it doesn't.

I called Taggart Volvo this morning to ask if it was something they'd done, and apparently it's a software update from Volvo but the mechanic couldn't tell me why it's been done, and he said that as far as he knew, it's impossible to change it back.

I daresay I'll get used to it, but for the moment, I do find it a bit disconcerting. I did hire an Opel in France last year which worked in the same way, so maybe it's the way all manual cars with CC are going to be now.
plus 4 more (all gone)
thefifeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 16:52   #2
AliMurray

My previous car, a 2013 Vx Astra wouldn't disengage on pressing the clutch to allow you to change gear without deactivating the cruise control. I guess the use is either so you can press resume and allow the car to accelerate back up to speed for you and change gear or if you are holding a speed on the border line between two gears on hilly roads perhaps? Either way perhaps the update is just to bring the car inline with the new norm?
AliMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 19:36   #3
Rex65

The only other car I've ever had that disengaged with clutch was a Mondeo and it was just as annoying back then as it is now. I guess the old way was a left over Ford legacy and I'm pleased it's now been sorted.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 20:43   #4
thefifeflier
The Fife Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
The only other car I've ever had that disengaged with clutch was a Mondeo and it was just as annoying back then as it is now. I guess the old way was a left over Ford legacy and I'm pleased it's now been sorted.
Funny - both my previous cars that had CC worked like this one did up to last week. My old V70 and my Saab 9-3. I'd got really used to it over the years... I've a feeling this probably makes it work more like an automatic would.
plus 4 more (all gone)
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 21:14   #5
Chief inspector
Master Member

I had a manual 2016 model XC60 and as soon as you released the clutch the cruise re-engaged. Some cars do as you say disengage on the clutch and need to be resumed - not the Volvo.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 09:00   #6
spitz

I have just had my 2012 D3 V70 serviced at a Volvo main dealer that included a software update. My cruise still behaves as it did before (disengages with clutch press) but I would very much like the new version described above (I’ve driven other cars where cruise only disengages with the brake pedal).

Has anyone else with a 2012 V70 (or earlier) seen this change to their cruise control after a recent service?
spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 11:04   #7
thefifeflier
The Fife Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
Some cars do as you say disengage on the clutch and need to be resumed - not the Volvo.
Not quite true - I think this is a recent development. As I said, my 2004 V70 worked that way, and I have a friend with a 2010 XC60 which works like that too.
plus 4 more (all gone)
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 20:19   #8
thefifeflier
The Fife Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
I have just had my 2012 D3 V70 serviced at a Volvo main dealer that included a software update. My cruise still behaves as it did before (disengages with clutch press) but I would very much like the new version described above (I’ve driven other cars where cruise only disengages with the brake pedal).

Has anyone else with a 2012 V70 (or earlier) seen this change to their cruise control after a recent service?
Have you spoken to the dealer (with reference to my original post)?
plus 4 more (all gone)
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 00:24   #9
Chrisv60

My car was serviced a couple of weeks ago so thought I'd try it.

It now operates as Chief Inspector says, ie cruise control disengages when you press the clutch and re-engages again when you release the clutch.

Quite useful in a 50 zone where a different gear is sometimes needed on an incline.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 08:48   #10
Stevepvolvo

We have a v40 2013 manual with adaptive cruise and it has always worked that way (temp disengage when clutch pressed and resumes when clutch let in) as makes sense to allow for the speed variations. Maybe volvo have decided to “align” the behaviour for both adaptive and non adaptive?
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote