Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 rust / corrosion issues

Views : 2487

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2018, 19:09   #11
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
There is something about the normal flow of water (+road salt) that causes them to begin rusting around those sill jacking points.
Yours has gone a bit far ... I caught mine with some rust converter and filler last year.
Just a common thing, and far far better at resisting the inevitable rot than any other old car I've owned.

Edit : mine was the back end jacking point, left side, now that it is part of the discussion.
Once upon a time mud flaps were an essential fitment. I had them fitted all round on my '90 745 as part of the number of 'free' add-ons when I bought the car. In addition to protecting the sill area (something most people recognised at the time as essential) mudflaps are also a 'civil' addition to a car as they reduce massive volumes of spray affecting a following driver, especially at speed on a motorways. You only have to follow a Volvo XC 90 (or whatever!!) to realise!!!

I am glad to report that still no rust/corrosion anywhere on my 745 after all these years except just one minute spot on the passenger floor pan outer overlap double skin section before the turn of the shaft tunnel which was only about 10 x 5mm and easily welded up for this year's MOT. The inner panel was as sound as a bell.

I do have to admit that the car has never been driven North of the River Thames in Winter!

My vote goes for mudflaps. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 19:16   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Reminds me Bob, i must sort my mudflaps out.

One of the best alternatives i've seen to mudflaps are the spats in front of the rear wheels or sill mouldings that cause a vortex ahead of the wheel.

This pulls the spray away from the wheel and outwaords away from the car and anything following - quite amazing to watch on the road and nicer looking than mudflaps.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 22:32   #13
tofufi
Premier Member

Oops...

tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 22:56   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

He bought it then! Nice looking car

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 22:59   #15
tofufi
Premier Member

More details tomorrow. It's scruffy bodily, but seems honest. Suits my brother really as it won't be a show car, but hopefully won't be abused either.

You should see the service history that came with it... every MOT, every receipt, even the quotation for the car before it was ordered. It's done more than 276k miles, so there's been a lot of servicing... and it still feels tight and runs well.

Some niggles to sort... predictably the A/C doesn't work, interior light is either on or off (regardless of door switches), a couple of doorcards are wrinkly and it's missing one of the door handle plastic inserts. Nothing major, welding aside

Last edited by tofufi; Oct 19th, 2018 at 23:02.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: